Nitto DR's on a daily Driver

myblk32v

Established Member
Ok so my back tires are bald and i have a set of 275/40/ZR17 Nitto Drs in my garage. Can i use them as daily driver tires. I drive about 70 miles a day here in phoenix so weather is not a problem. But will it be stupid to run them on my car for daily street driving.

Cobro

Banned
If you have stock rims, they will work, but really are to big.

Water will be your enemy

They are not made for cornering the sidewalls are not as rigid as zr tires

They might last 12,000 miles

But, you will be the first one off the line!!!!

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
Theyre definatly not fun in the rain. I have regular 555r's and they kinda suck. To me, the dry traction is well worth it. ;)

Wild Bill

Established Member
Put them on,if you dont like them take them off.I've got the 315s on and drive all over with them.I may try BFGs next though.

myblk32v

Established Member
WEll fitting is not a question, cause i already have 275s on my stock rims and from what ive heard nittos run a little narrow n e ways. And well i dont really have to worry about rain since i live in AZ and also even if it does rain i do not drive in it.

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
I got about 10k miles out of my 275/40/17 dr's. They were ok in the rain when they were new, but as the tread wore down they were fair at best. In dry weather they kick butt on the street, I would spin in second and third w/ regular bfg comp ta's w/ the d/r's no spin just amazing traction.

myblk32v

Established Member
Originally posted by venomous
I got about 10k miles out of my 275/40/17 dr's. They were ok in the rain when they were new, but as the tread wore down they were fair at best. In dry weather they kick butt on the street, I would spin in second and third w/ regular bfg comp ta's w/ the d/r's no spin just amazing traction.

What does it take to brake a DR loose. Can i drop it from 3k on the street and not spin or will i still have to feather my launches

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
I run 26-28psi. If they're cold, not a whole lot. Warm they grip real well, but if you're driving on them everyday I' refrain from purposely frying your hides

SNK BITN

Established Member
70miles a day on your nitto DR's will spell new tires in a couple of months, get a better more durable tire for your commute. I only commute 15 miles a day, thats the only reason I daily drive my nittos.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Originally posted by myblk32v
Ok so my back tires are bald and i have a set of 275/40/ZR17 Nitto Drs in my garage. Can i use them as daily driver tires. I drive about 70 miles a day here in phoenix so weather is not a problem. But will it be stupid to run them on my car for daily street driving.

they won't save you;-)

RioRed4v

Established Member
Originally posted by 702lightning
Im runnin them and I drive every where so you should be ok. Just be careful when its wet out.

nitto's work awesome in the rain.

waaaaay better than bfg's dr's in the rain.

many people say that their nittos work better in the rain that most street tires.

97whitesvt

Established Member
i am on my second set of them. the first set i got about 12000 hard miles and approx. 60 passes out of. as far as weather i would not worry about it. still feather your cluth though.

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
I run the R2 Nitto tires on the back now. Essentially the same compound as the drag radial with stiffer sidewalls. The only drawback is that there are very few sizes available. I run the 275/40/17 and love them..not a daily driver. The Lightning has to be the daily driver (no a/c, backseat, smog, and soundproofing in the cobra).

myblk32v

Established Member
Is $120 a piece a good price for 275/40/17 Nitto Dr's. Cause i know where i can get them for that much and that sounds good to me.

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
That is a good deal....buy em' up. I used to pay between pay 140-150 when I had em on the back. For daily driving they'll throw every pebble onto the paint on your rear bumper cover. Mine is starting to show signs of wear from driving every once and a while.

Users who are viewing this thread