nitto drag radials in cold temps

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
what should i do now that temps are getting cold 20 and 30* nights the sticker says do not use in cold temps and my car stays out side under a carport. Can i cover my tires with wheel covers or blankets? i do drive the car even in winter with cold temps and the nitto dr will be my only tires

spike_africa

Established Member
You don't need to cover the tires for the cold the reason it says don't use in cold temps is because that soft compound becomes very hard when cold.

GTSSTANG

Established Member
yes, they will soften right up.. They just won't provide the same traction cold as they did in the summer, but this holds true with any tire you would use.

KJS1820

Established Member
My car is scary if I get in boost with my car with the 315 555r Nittos ;) when it is inder 60 degrees out! Just be careful and you should be fine!

Discount Tire

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
what should i do now that temps are getting cold 20 and 30* nights the sticker says do not use in cold temps and my car stays out side under a carport. Can i cover my tires with wheel covers or blankets? i do drive the car even in winter with cold temps and the nitto dr will be my only tires

Actually, you should not run your drag radials in the winter. When temperatures from below freezing the compounds in Drag Radials and RT track tires harden dramatically as mentioned above. This hardening can and will cause the tires side wall to crack and split. Nitto put out a warning in 2005 about this and will not warranty any Drag Radial that develops these cracks. Drag Radial and RT tires should be kept in a place where temperatures don't drop below freezing and air pressure in these tires should be dropped to half.

My recommendation is to purchase an inexpensive all season or a winter tire for the cold months if you are on a budget. An All season may be sufficient for those that live in warmer areas and don't get snow in the winter and temperatures don't drop below freezing. A winter tire is best for areas that do drop below freezing. Rubber compounds in winter tires are engineered to stay soft at freezing and below freezing temperatures.

Users who are viewing this thread