Nitto 555r2's vs. Nitto 555r's

tr04mach

Established Member
Wanted some first hand experience with people who have used the nitto 555r2's. I won't be going with anything stickier on my stock rear end and won't be building it soon. MY ONLY OPTIONS ARE BETWEEN BUYING ANOTHER SET OF NITTO 555R'S AND A SET OF NITTO 555R2'S. I've had my current nitto 555r's for about 20k miles and been down the track probably 20-25 times. They still have a little life in them but i'm trying to figure out what to do when the time comes. I do like them but I feel like i've lost a little bit of handling and wouldn't mind having that back with the stiff sidewall on the r2's but I have no experience with them. I'm looking for people that have had both before and can compare the handling, life, traction etc. Won't consider anything else so just trying to get a good feel on these. My current setup hooks good on the street with great life and works well in the rain. My mach is my DD and running a bit more hp. The r2's have a stiff sidewall for better handling but I assume sacrifice a bit of straight line traction. Any help and relevant details from first hand experience is very much appreciated. Trying to figure out if the extra handling is worth it versus the rougher ride. Thanks

Last edited:

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
You are correct in your last statement. the 555r2's will not hook as well in straight line performance. However, you do gain some handling. Both tires have the same tread compound, just different amount of sidewall stiffness, "ply" ..

If this car is not your DD, and you plan on building the rear, and you visit the track, I would suggest another set of the 555r's.

Silverboost

Established Member
i have the 555RII's on my whippled cobra and during the summer they are great, but as soon as it starts getting cool out they do nothing for traction. How in the hell did you get 20000 miles out of the 555R's?

Users who are viewing this thread