Nitto 555R vs 555RII

Fun4me

Established Member
I'm looking to buy 305 35 18 Nittos, and was wondering if anybody has any input to justify the $70 price differance per tire. I know the 555RII is marketed as a roadrace tire, but for a DD will the cheaper 555R work? Thanks guys.

old_goat

Established Member
I had 555R on my 2005 GTO and they did just fine at the drags and on the street.

At the drags, you have to really heat them up for them to hook, and on the streets they did just fine. Just know when the tread wears down, during or after rain, it's not a lot of fun.

I had the NT05R on my 2009 G8 GXP and they hooked a bit better than the 555R's and it was the same during and after rain.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
It is probably just a stiffer sidewall if they are calling it a road course tire. Compared to a DR which you would want sidewall flex. Figure out what you do more with the car.

If you are using the car as a true DD without serious mods. Maybe consider the 555 which has a 3x greater tread wear rating.

Last edited:

KalEl370

Established Member
How long do the NT05 DRs last? I'd be happy if I can get around 8k out of the set. Also if anyone knows, how do they compare tp the BFGs or MT ET street IIs?

Fun4me

Established Member
I need that specific size, 305 35 18. Just a DD, but I want Sticky rubber that will last 5-10k. Its amazing what good rubber will do for a car. For that size its MT, R888 or the 555R(II). So the Nitto seems like the logical choice for a DD.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Either tire will work, but I would save the money and just use the 555R's. Mileage will depend on how you drive the car. Don't expect them to last 8-10k miles if you are using them at the strip or having fun on the street (even nailing it from a roll). For me, the 555R's typically last about 2 oil changes, 5-6k miles.

KalEl370

Established Member
Either tire will work, but I would save the money and just use the 555R's. Mileage will depend on how you drive the car. Don't expect them to last 8-10k miles if you are using them at the strip or having fun on the street (even nailing it from a roll). For me, the 555R's typically last about 2 oil changes, 5-6k miles.

Thanks. I'm putting around 6-8k miles a year and it might see the track once or twice.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I dont think he was talking about the nt05r's. Those are a race compound and will wear out much quicker.

Correct. I haven't used to NT05r's yet, but if they are anything like the BFG's or the M/T's, those used to last me 1 oil change, or 2500-3000 miles if I was lucky. But those tires definitely hooked MUCH better than the 555r's.

Last edited:

Fun4me

Established Member
Correct. I haven't used to NT05r's yet, but if they are anything like the BFG's or the M/T's, those used to last me 1 oil change, or 2500-3000 miles if I was lucky. But those tires definitely hooked MUCH better than the 555r's.
Off-topic, but should I be changing my oil every 3k in a '12 gt DD? Manual says 10k, I change it every 5k.

RC-5.0

Established Member
I talked to a rep at Nitto last month. The NT05 are a step UP performance wise over the 555r (next step up), but that goes along with slightly rougher ride and slightly quicker wear.

RC

TRDon

Established Member
The nt05 is a crazy hooking tire. The 555r is a decent hook that will get you 5-7k out of it.

RC-5.0

Established Member
The nt05 is a crazy hooking tire. The 555r is a decent hook that will get you 5-7k out of it.

Do you have an idea what the mileage you should get from the NT 05 is and/or how the ride is with it cruising?
RC

Fun4me

Established Member
Do you have an idea what the mileage you should get from the NT 05 is and/or how the ride is with it cruising?
RC
There are two differant tires. The nt05 is a 200 treadwear tire, the nt05R is a race compound tire.

faztcobra

Established Member
I remember when people expected 15-20k lol
I remember the days of burning through tires every few months. I still have my fun, but I drive reasonable most of the time. Heck, on these factory Brembo Pirellis, I've got 15k and plenty of tread left. I know most people complain about them barely lasting 12k. I must be doing something right. (or wrong depending on how you look at it... ha ha)

RC-5.0

Established Member
There are two differant tires. The nt05 is a 200 treadwear tire, the nt05R is a race compound tire.

IDK that.

So how would you rank the "hookability" (grip) of those two compared to the Invos, 555, and 555r (DR).

I always thought there was just one NT05 and it gripped better than the 555r (the Nitto rep didnt tell me there were two, so I dont know which one he was referring to or which he though I was referring to.)

RC

Napoleon85

Established Member
IDK that.

So how would you rank the "hookability" (grip) of those two compared to the Invos, 555, and 555r (DR).

I always thought there was just one NT05 and it gripped better than the 555r (the Nitto rep didnt tell me there were two, so I dont know which one he was referring to or which he though I was referring to.)

RC

These are all different tires for different uses.

NT05R - Drag radial for hooking up on the street/strip and straight line speed. Soft sidewall. Not ideal for most DD uses, will wear out very fast. 5-8k miles likely

NT05 - Very aggressive street tire. Dry performance only, I have them on my car and it's borderline terrifying to get caught in the rain. 15-20k miles probably

Invo - A step down in performance from the NT05, but a great street tire for a DD. Good traction wet and dry. No idea on mileage for these, probably 20-40% more than NT05s if I had to guess.

NT555 - A decent all around street tire

NT555R - drag radial version of the above, a notch down from NT05R, dry only.

NT555RII - Road race tire, great grip and cornering, terrible in the rain and tire wear is probably on par with NT05R

RC-5.0

Established Member
These are all different tires for different uses.

NT05R - Drag radial for hooking up on the street/strip and straight line speed. Soft sidewall. Not ideal for most DD uses, will wear out very fast. 5-8k miles likely

NT05 - Very aggressive street tire. Dry performance only, I have them on my car and it's borderline terrifying to get caught in the rain. 15-20k miles probably

Invo - A step down in performance from the NT05, but a great street tire for a DD. Good traction wet and dry. No idea on mileage for these, probably 20-40% more than NT05s if I had to guess.

NT555 - A decent all around street tire

NT555R - drag radial version of the above, a notch down from NT05R, dry only.

NT555RII - Road race tire, great grip and cornering, terrible in the rain and tire wear is probably on par with NT05R

Good Stuff! :rockon:
How would you rate the NT05 (not r) compared with the 555r? What are factors to consider.
I have the Invos. Seem pretty good, but still sliding all over the place on the street when I "get on it", even on dry pavement. The comfort seems pretty good for that kind of tire.

I was thinking of the 555 in front and 555r out back. Seems like the NT05r would be out for me, so the choice for the back is NT05 or 555r.

Thanks
RC

Users who are viewing this thread