nitrous??

matsm21

wasting time again?!
Established Member
school me a little on nitrous....I see some guys here running 100-150 shots on a stock block, is this relatively safe, of is it a hand grenade? also what kinds of times/ numbers are you guys that are running nitrous seeing?

SN_95

this hobby cost too much
Established Member
dnt do it on a stock block. i went to the track this past weekend and raced a stock fox body with a 75 shot and he blew a head gasket. its not worth it

blackfang

Established Member
A stock 97 4V can handle a 100 wet shot. I would recommend 2 step colder plugs and gapping them to around .035. The stock tune is safe enough as well as many have done this. I wouldn't go over a 100 shot though. Anything higher will require more fuel, tune and stronger components(i.e engine, fuel pump,etc)

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
dnt do it on a stock block. i went to the track this past weekend and raced a stock fox body with a 75 shot and he blew a head gasket. its not worth it

WOW, and i have seen someone spray a 175 on a stock PI 2 valve engine. and it has seen many 1/4 mile runs and it still is fine. nitrous is safe as long as it is put on and used safely. And i'm not saying everyone should go out and run a 175 shot, just saying nitrous is safe if setup correctly.

matsm21

wasting time again?!
Established Member
forgive the ignorance...could someone explain the difference between wet and dry? I know one is mixed with the fuel while the other is not, but outside that...

1997cobrasvt

Established Member
wet kit takes fuel off your fuel rail and sprays it with the nitrous
dry just sprays nitrous.
wet is usualy safer for the average person.
thats the only difference.. the price for a wet kit is more since you need another solenoid and a different nozzle and fuel lines

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Adding to what 97CobraSVT said, wet kits use an "independent" fuel-system so to speak, in that it takes fuel from the rail, but regulates it's delivery via a solinoid and nozzles directly into the throttle-body along with the nitrous. A dry kit injects only nitrous BUT it uses the factory fuel-system to compensate fuel via a reading from the MAF sensor (which will "detect" the nitrous, in Layman's terms) and add more fuel through the injectors.

That being said, a wet 100-shot is safe and easy which everything factory. I put in a 255lph pump and sprayed 125/150 many times without issues untuned, but that can lead to disaster sometimes.

SN 95...that statement is ignorant and untrue. First...how would a head-gasket failure be attributed to a weak factory block? Secondly, a 75 shot is safe on nearly every factory Mustang, sixers, included. Third, Foxbody 5.0's (sans 93's) have stronger stock pistons and rods than they do blocks. I have personally sprayed a 275-shot (no jets) on a BONE STOCK '89 5.0 (down to the air filter) and yanked the tires and gone 120mph at the drags multiple times and the motor never failed. Fourth, nitrous wasn't to blame, the idiot behind the wheel was.

blackfang

Established Member
+1 on Kyle.

I have seen people slam 250 hits through their stock 302 motor for several runs, some even lasting 2 seasons with no issues.

Also a wet shot will be felt more so than a dry shot

FunkyBoss

Established Member
A dry kit adds fuel by altering vacuum to the FPR which increases fuel pressure, not through the MAF sensor. In any case, A FPSS should be used. I sprayed a 100 dry shot on my car with no problems, factory tune. See track time in my sig.

matsm21

wasting time again?!
Established Member
Anybody know a way to make the wet kit a stealthy setup? I can think of an easy way for the dry kit, but a wet kit with all the extra hardware??

1997cobrasvt

Established Member
yupp ..thats how i have mine set up... you would never knowtice..unlesss you are lookin for it.anyways a wet kit is just one more solenoid and 2 more fuel lines.i have all my stuff hidden in a fuse box.and the lines wire loomed .pm me if you want pics.

Last edited:

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
A dry kit adds fuel by altering vacuum to the FPR which increases fuel pressure, not through the MAF sensor. In any case, A FPSS should be used. I sprayed a 100 dry shot on my car with no problems, factory tune. See track time in my sig.

Maybe on the Zex kits, but most others use the MAF to compensate by increasing fuel-injector duty-cycle/pulse-width.

97cobraheaven

Established Member
the MAF will sense more dense, cold air. Nitrous is Oxygen so the MAF will adjust with more fuel just as it would on a cold night. How accurately the MAF can compensate for that much nitrous i am not sure

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
yupp ..thats how i have mine set up... you would never knowtice..unlesss you are lookin for it.anyways a wet kit is just one more solenoid and 2 more fuel lines.i have all my stuff hidden in a fuse box.and the lines wire loomed .pm me if you want pics.

PM sent!

I am going to run a wet shot after my motor gets built. I don't know that mine could take it at 130k :uh oh: . I am doing an NX wet shot. I was gonna spray 75 on a stock block, but I will probably spray 150 on the built motor until the eaton is on.

FunkyBoss

Established Member
the MAF will sense more dense, cold air. Nitrous is Oxygen so the MAF will adjust with more fuel just as it would on a cold night. How accurately the MAF can compensate for that much nitrous i am not sure

There is no nitrous kit that has the nozzle installed before the MAF, atleast none that I am aware of. Therefore, the MAF has no clue the nitrous is even spraying.

sighwest

Established Member
^You sure about that? I thought I remember seeing some kind of filter/nozzle setup for sale by a nitrous company. I may be way off, but that would be spraying before the maf with a dry kit.

Users who are viewing this thread