Nitrous Question

PrinceSlik

Established Member
Just installed a 125 Dry Shot of nitrous. When I activate it, it surchages. (feels like it keeps cutting out), then sometimes it works fine.

I have never used nitrous before. Anyone else on this board experienced with it? Wondering what might cause this. Also wondering how my engine will hold up to a 125shot. And how many runs on average do you get out of 10lbs of gas?

Thanks,
Slik

99SVTcobraVERT

sounds like you blowing out spark. prob happens at high rpms. gap your stock plugs at .35 or get ngk vr6 and gap them at .35 this should solve the problem

Joe Lynch

Established Member
Try TR-6 NGK plugs gapped at 0.035", just for clarification.

I use 1-1.5 lbs per run on a 100 shot, at 1000 psi. How much bottle pressure are you running? Where are you injecting the nitrous? Have you had it on a dyno to see if you are going lean? What do you have for a chip and for timing retard?

My experience with a NX wet kit on a 100 shot is nothing but good.

Here is a short video of what a Cobra on a 100 shot looks like when it it launched.....even at 3000 feet altitude.

http://www.anythingcars.com/users/jlynch/pen0314launch.mpg

Joe Lynch

PrinceSlik

Established Member
It's on a stock engine, injected in the intake. I have 2 step colder plugs, can't remember name.

I ordered a bottle heater, I think that's my problem. I need to get a psi gauge too =\

Joe Lynch: Do you have ne other mods except what's in ur sig? That's a nice time.

99SVTcobraVERT

yeah sorry typo, get the ngk's like i said. if you have autolite's ditch them. i had them before and they didnt hit worth a sh*t on the motor or the spray, never did figure out why. but my buddy with 02 gt and spray said the same thing

Joe Lynch

Established Member
PrinceSlik--A dry kit injected in the intake--I hope you mean in the intake tube ahead of the MAF meter? With no chip, I assume.

If there is any way you can put the car on a dyno after you get the bottle heater and check to see what the air-fuel ratio is, you need to. You may be running dangerously lean, especially when the nitrous first hits and the engine controls are lagging adding fuel.

I assume you do not have a low fuel pressure switch. However, if you do, the switch may be cycling on and off due to low fuel pressure. You can try lowering the set point a couple of turns and trying it again.

I strongly suggest putting in 75 hp jets and running those until you have all the problems solved. Then work your way back up to the 125.

An Autolite AWSF-22C plug is one step colder than stock and is equivalent to the TR-6 in and NGK and has worked fine in my car. An AWSFA-12C is 2 steps colder and is what I am currently running and will run on a 150 shot as well. It is plenty cold.

I have BBK long tubes, a 4.56 gear in a live axle, lots of chassis work, Steeda pulleys, and light tires and wheels. But it is a convertible with full interior. It launches well but the dyno is mediocre. It is a low 12 second car on motor at sea level. Low 11 second on a 100 shot at sea level.

Joe Lynch

Joe Lynch

99SVTcobraVERT

i get a good 8 runs (1/4 mile passes) out of a bottle, this is a 150 shot however, and i still have nitrous left but its just not hitting as hard because its almost empty. but if you using mostly on the street, most runs consist of 4-5 seconds to show who is boss. when you have a car that makes 320bhp already stock and you spraying a 125 to it, you have a creature that is making 400 or close to it at the tires. not many cars you come along are going to be able to mess with that. pure numbers say there are more mostly stock cars running around than heavy mod cars. so with you only spraying for a few seconds you will have a good 20-25 little street races with people maybe more if you have have to spray very long to kill someone.....

Users who are viewing this thread