Nitrous question...Not svt related, but I need help.

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
What's up fellas? My dad just bought a e46 m3 and installed nitrous on it, no big deal we hooked it up to the throttle so when it opens up it activates just like we did on my 540; but my 540 was a 5 speed. My dad's m3 is an autostick, so this raised a question, obviously when you kickdown a automatic there is probably a .5 second to a .75 of a second delay until the transmission downshifts, if we have the nitrous setup to spray at wot it's going to be unloading a 100 shot in the engine at a possible low rpm for a split second. Should we just run it to a handheld button or will it be ok to spray for that split second at a lower rpm? Thanks in advance.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
I cant speak for the strength of the trans in the M3, but i know plenty of people who spray through shifts in f-bodys.. Look at it this way, say 1 car makes 500rwhp N/A, and another makes 500rwhp on spray.. the load is going to be the same on both cars on the shift, so if the trans can handle it, you should be fine.

If you are uncomfortable spraying through the shifts, get a window switch and have the N2O turn off just before the shift, and come on right after.. My car is setup to run a 175 shot, and i have a Harris Speedworks Microedge controller, and it works great!! Harris Speed Works :: Nitrous Controllers :: Nitrous Window Switches & Timing Controllers :: The MicroEdge Nitrous Controller

Users who are viewing this thread