Nitrous problem

ForcFed93

Established Member
Hey all, my uncle has a 97 Cobra and we just put a compucar wet kit on it over the weekend. We took it out and made a couple of runs, and it just acts funny. We only ran it in 2nd and 3rd gear and it feels like it isn't turning on until about 5500rpm and when it does it feels jerky (kinda like on/off alot). While in 3rd gear it pulls hard and consistent the entire gear. It only has a WOT switch and an arming switch. The only thing we can think of is that it might be losing traction at that rpm in 2nd. Any body ever have an issue like this? Just want to see if you guys knew of anything else to check.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
ForcFed93 said:
Hey all, my uncle has a 97 Cobra and we just put a compucar wet kit on it over the weekend. We took it out and made a couple of runs, and it just acts funny. We only ran it in 2nd and 3rd gear and it feels like it isn't turning on until about 5500rpm and when it does it feels jerky (kinda like on/off alot). While in 3rd gear it pulls hard and consistent the entire gear. It only has a WOT switch and an arming switch. The only thing we can think of is that it might be losing traction at that rpm in 2nd. Any body ever have an issue like this? Just want to see if you guys knew of anything else to check.

you will definately know when the nitrous is kicking in. If the wheels were spinning, seems like you would know that too...... Are you using a relay to power the system, or is it just wired straight to a 12volt? If you arent using a relay, then all you can do is to check your connections and make sure they are soldered and insulated. Make sure that all your ground connections are tight. Check to make sure you have the correct jets in the right places. Make sure the lines from the solenoids to the nozzle arent longer than about 1-1/2 feet long. Check your WOT switch to see if its working fine. You need a window switch if you dont have one. You dont really know when its going to come on right now......The switch is a must IMO. Go ahead and check your fuel pressure at idle, just for kicks.....Make sure you have good bottle pressure. After all of that you should be good to go as lng as the rest of the engine is running good.......

ForcFed93

Established Member
Thanks for the tips. Very informative post. What kind of fuel pressure should the engine have at idle? The car only has 35k miles with new plugs (NGK TR6's 1 step colder), new wires, and new filters (fuel and air). It should be top notch. It's only jetted for a 90hp shot right now, would that make a very noticable difference? It just doesn't feel like it's pulling as hard as it should until it's in 3rd gear. We tested the switches and both of them are working fine. The more I think about it, the more I think the tires lost traction over a bump or something. Also, it's wired directly into a 12v source.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread