Nitrous Pete Dyno'd his Kenne Bell Blower

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by JoeAsheville
I wonder why he used top gear to dyno test...? ;-)

If he truly did, that will inflate his dyno #'s artificially. The only way to get a real reading is by doing it in a gear that is 1:1, but you all know this anyway ;-)

Silver 03 Cobra

It will hurt your dyno numbers if you dyno in 5th or 6th. I had my 99 dynoed and the dyno operator said he'd like to see what my top speed was so he made a pull in 5th. I don't remember the numbers but it was a big drop. Remember he has an automatic.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by JoeAsheville
I wonder why he used top gear to dyno test...? ;-)

If I remember correctly from previos discussions on his car he is not running stock gears. Therefore a different gear would be used to obtain the 1:1 ratio. I could always be wrong though.

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
It will hurt your dyno numbers if you dyno in 5th or 6th. I had my 99 dynoed and the dyno operator said he'd like to see what my top speed was so he made a pull in 5th. I don't remember the numbers but it was a big drop. Remember he has an automatic.

Obviously something is amiss there, then. A dyno pull in a gear lower than a 1:1 will reduce your #'s shown, but a dyno in a gear higher than a 1:1 will actually inflate them, all artificially, of course.

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
If I remember correctly from previos discussions on his car he is not running stock gears. Therefore a different gear would be used to obtain the 1:1 ratio. I could always be wrong though.

Actually it doesn't really matter about the gears, but just that you dyno in a transmission gear that is 1:1, or closest gear possible (not all cars have a 1:1 drive gear!). True, lower gears will decrease your measured hp on a Dynojet. This is more in fact because of how the Dynojet measures, and also due to some slight increase of friction.

Users who are viewing this thread