nitrous oxide

Eng90

Established Member
hey guys,

im new to nitrous and would like to know more about it ...

is the effect of sparying nitrous is worse than going for other fi app on the engine ??

from what i know is that nitrous gets too cold when sprayed which i think would affect the engine components and cause cracks ... dont it ?

can i use nitrous and have a realiable engine with normal engine longivety ?

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
A properly tuned car that runs nitrous within it's limits should be fine. For example, most people that run nitrous with stock motor internals keep it with in a maximum range. I ran a 100 wet shot with a NX plat kit, car made 555 rwhp, I'm on a stock block. The biggest pain in the ass was getting the bottles filled. I could run roughly 10 1/4 mile woot pulls in between changes. After a year of doing the bottle changing bullshit I went supercharged.

5lho

Established Member
I have used every power adder there is, multiple platforms. Nothing touches nitrous for the amount of HP produced related to the intended output. When you want 70 horse out of nitrous, you get that easy because nitrous takes no power to run, is easy to tune for and provides a wicked charge cooling effect on the intake air/fuel. The hotter it gets at the track, the better nitrous works, compared to the other adders.

The risks of nitrous are the same as any other adder. Screw up the tuning, get greedy and you can run into trouble. Nitrous, particularly in low shots, i.e, 125 or less, is a totally safe way to add spring in the step of your car, provided the tuning is there.

Nitrous is not street friendly. First of all, it's fricking torque in a bottle and you want a sticky surface and suspension setup to put the power down, unless you're adding the complexity of a progressive controller or staged hits. Second, you need to monitor bottle pressure and have the right tune loaded to run it. It's really more intended for the track. I take mine out, load the tune, heat the bottle and enjoy it at the strip. Then I just drive home, no issues. The car has over 400 horses as it is, so, I'm just looking to pep it up at the track so, nitrous is fine with me. That and the fact that, with current exchange rates where I am, it's $1000 bucks for a N20 kit v. $10,000 for a blower setup. I can fill a lot of bottles for 9K.

Eng90

Established Member
Yeah this sounds cool ... especially the idea of the car runs n/a without any complexity of power adder and at the same time nitrous is there to use .. i think it takes of the headache of fi heat soak.. leaks and i dnt need any boost id rather stay na for normal daily driving

The sudden nitrous hit which scares me out.. dont you guys think that this sudden hit is way worse than the other power adders ? And the sudden cooling effect wont it do cracks on the pistons or the cylinder wals or sumthin ??

The engine would be banging in high temp and suddenly cold temp gets into the system which shocks the system ... and from what i know that way things may change to weak and brittle and crack or shatter in a short period of time

Eng90

Established Member
What i used to hear about is when ppl used notrous they should be also changing engine internals too cause the internals will not last and will keep break because nitrous needs titanium top faced pistons and titanium cylinder sleeve ....

Thats just what i knew b4 and i would like to know if this is true or not ?

5lho

Established Member
What i used to hear about is when ppl used notrous they should be also changing engine internals too cause the internals will not last and will keep break because nitrous needs titanium top faced pistons and titanium cylinder sleeve ....

Thats just what i knew b4 and i would like to know if this is true or not ?

WTF are you talking about? People are blowing smoke up your ass. Nobody makes/needs titanium sleeves here or "titanium top-faced pistons", whatever the hell that is. Yes, nitrous raises cylinder pressure, but, so does supercharging or turbo. This sudden cooling you seem worried about is a total non issue, it's not like an action movie where the baddie gets sprayed with liquid nitrogen and shatters before everyone's eyes. That's just not how engines work; there's more risk from runaway heat in the chamber than runaway cold. You can enter the shot progressively with a controller if you're concerned about the hit but, under 125 is just fine in a single smack.

Granted the old 4.6 engines couldn't take as much power adder on their stock rotating bits but Coyotes aren't immune either. Their ring lands generally are the first to go, or their connecting rods and the basic block isn't quite as strong due to the large water jackets outboard of the cylinder bore. That said, these weaknesses only start to present themselves at over 600 wheel horsepower and not even then, if you tune carefully.

Last edited:

Eng90

Established Member
I have a 2013 boss with full bolt ons ... boss intake not cj

What is the maximum that i can spray safeley ??

And would it be better of with a 1 7/8 or a 1 3/4 ?

Is there difference in efficiency while running na between a car with nitrous bolted or without bolted in nitrous ?? Turnulence effect or sumthing like that that will effect the car while racing without nitrous but having the nitrous bolted on the car ??

5lho

Established Member
Man, you really make no sense. Did you do the work yourself? From what you sound like here I'm not sure there is a safe level of nitrous to spray, honestly. "turnulence effect"? WTH?

Anything that makes the engine more efficient in the range you want will help, including LT headers of any size. It's about making a package that works where you need it. Nitrous is fake efficiency by chemically enhancing the oxygen content of the charge, allowing you to add more fuel and make more power. It's a great way to make inefficient engines act like more efficient ones. However, nitrous benefits from an efficient engine just as well. More bang for your buck, until you get greedy.

I'll make it simple. ASS-uming, everything is a-ok, you should be completely safe shooting up to 125, wet and tuned for it. The nitrous tune will feel quite soft if you drive the car with nitrous off but, will have no detrimental effects other than that. The NA tune will be sharp, but, obviously can't be sprayed without risking the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread