Nitrous or Meth?

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
50 shot of nitrous (Definitely no more than a 75 shot)

Vs.

100% Meth Injection

Which would be best?

Main concerns in order:
1. Cooling
2. System Maintenance & Up-Keep
3. Safety
4. Cost

If I go Meth Injection, I'll be going with the Stage 1 AIS Trunk Mount Kit. It has a 3 gallon tank, upgrade the lines to stainless steel, upgrade to dual nozzles, & get the low level sensor as well. Altogether it's $600.

For nitrous, I'm open to any kit really. I'm really interested in the Zex Blackout kit because of it's all black theme. If I can put a system together that's all black then that's cool with me as well. I'm not familiar with nitrous so I'm not sure what's needed on top of the basic nitrous system that they sell. I'd want it to come on between 3000 & 6000 rpms @ WOT. I wouldn't spray 1st gear & I want it to open with a push of a button instead of me having to get out and open it up. I was also looking at the NANO system for nitrous bottles. If I went this route it would be about $1200 for the entire nitrous setup.

I'm running 18lbs of boost on 93 octane right now. With nitrous would I have to add a higher octane? Someone told me adding nitrous is like adding boost & you'd have to up you octane if you're at 18lbs on pump right now. Meth, on the other hand, increases your octane dramatically & allows you to only have one tune for your car. Nitrous, you need multiple tunes from what I understand, but with the small shot I'd be spraying I think I can get away with only having one tune.

I've talked to a few people on both sides, Meth & Nitrous, & both systems work, I just want to know which would be most practical for daily driving. If I run into someone randomly on the street, I might want to have a little bit of fun. I'm just worried nitrous wouldn't be able to be used at any time like meth can be.

Let's get this started.

Driver500

Established Member
The answer to your question is meth.

No worry about bottle pressure
Your meth is always on
You always have "race gas" in the tank
Meth is cheap
It cools IATs and adds octane.

The real question is why you would run 100% vs a 50/50 mix. People get better results from a 50/50 than 100%.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
C: None of the above.

What exactly are you wanting?

Methanol/water injection is a flammable liquid is way to boost octane in fuel mixture(which makes it harder to burn) and has a cooling effect. You will see no gains until retuned and will still need to be refilled. Nozzles, lines and injection pumps can go bad and things can go catastrophic in a hurry. I'm not real fond of pumping water/meth into my engine contaminating oil and everything else. Will see power gains with additional timing. Same effective of running a better fuel and more aggressive tune. It's the intercoolers job to cool the system.

Nitrous Oxide is a power adder utilizing Non-flammable gas that adds additional oxygen into the A/F mixture with a side benefit of cooling when compressed releasing the nitrogen molucules. Will need to have the timing back down for safety if wanting to run poor gas. But will still make power and loads of torque. Like any power adder if done wrong can also be catastrophic. And can only go so far because of the limitation of the fuel being ran.

If you where wanting more power that was derived by a better tune I would switch to E-85 or run better gasoline instead of meth/water injection.

If you want more power from a power-adder buy an aftermarket blower.

If you want more then combine those two. Want more then ... Want more then... It's a never ending cycle we all know that. There's always a bigger fish out. And no matter how fast you are you will want to go faster.

Last edited:

fastlif

Established Member
If your meth pump fails, you go lean/detonate and burn a motor
If your main fuel pump fails, you go lean and run on full meth and burn up a motor.

NOS;
fuel pump fails-motor dies.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
Buy yourself a black out kit. Hard to beet 100HP for a 1000 bucks. You wont need a dyno tune. Just drop the timing a few degree's and its ready. You could build your own kit for a few more bucks and have a higher quality kit. The NX kit is a really nice for 700.

BigDan

Established Member
Buy yourself a black out kit. Hard to beet 100HP for a 1000 bucks.

The NX kit is a really nice for 700.

Are you talking about two different kits?

ZEX Blackout $650
Zex 2007+ GT500 Blackout Nitrous System [82034B] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

NX $660 GT500 drive by wire kit
Nitrous Express GT500 Specific Drive-By-Wire EFI Wet Kit [20919-10] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

The NX looks more complete but I like the look of the ZEX :??:

I wouldn't mind spraying meth into the lower intake if I had one of those nice systems with a bunch of built in fail safes.

Last edited:

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
Are you talking about two different kits?

ZEX Blackout $650
Zex 2007+ GT500 Blackout Nitrous System [82034B] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

NX $660 GT500 drive by wire kit
Nitrous Express GT500 Specific Drive-By-Wire EFI Wet Kit [20919-10] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

The NX looks more complete but I like the look of the ZEX :??:

I wouldn't mind spraying meth into the lower intake if I had one of those nice systems with a bunch of built in fail safes.

Yes they both are a good kits. The NX kit has better quality solenoids and they can be used with a progressive controller. So if you ever want to run more than 100 shot. I'd go with the NX system. For safty you'll need window and TSP switch. I believe both kits come with TPS control and both are wet. If you really want the best. Call Steve @ Induction Solutions. Very nice guy to work with. He can build you a kit and answer all your question. One of the best in the business. All of his stuff is very reasonably priced and the tech support doesn't get any better.

Van@RevanRacing

50 shot of nitrous (Definitely no more than a 75 shot)

Vs.

100% Meth Injection

Which would be best?

Main concerns in order:
1. Cooling
2. System Maintenance & Up-Keep
3. Safety
4. Cost

If I go Meth Injection, I'll be going with the Stage 1 AIS Trunk Mount Kit. It has a 3 gallon tank, upgrade the lines to stainless steel, upgrade to dual nozzles, & get the low level sensor as well. Altogether it's $600.

For nitrous, I'm open to any kit really. I'm really interested in the Zex Blackout kit because of it's all black theme. If I can put a system together that's all black then that's cool with me as well. I'm not familiar with nitrous so I'm not sure what's needed on top of the basic nitrous system that they sell. I'd want it to come on between 3000 & 6000 rpms @ WOT. I wouldn't spray 1st gear & I want it to open with a push of a button instead of me having to get out and open it up. I was also looking at the NANO system for nitrous bottles. If I went this route it would be about $1200 for the entire nitrous setup.

I'm running 18lbs of boost on 93 octane right now. With nitrous would I have to add a higher octane? Someone told me adding nitrous is like adding boost & you'd have to up you octane if you're at 18lbs on pump right now. Meth, on the other hand, increases your octane dramatically & allows you to only have one tune for your car. Nitrous, you need multiple tunes from what I understand, but with the small shot I'd be spraying I think I can get away with only having one tune.

I've talked to a few people on both sides, Meth & Nitrous, & both systems work, I just want to know which would be most practical for daily driving. If I run into someone randomly on the street, I might want to have a little bit of fun. I'm just worried nitrous wouldn't be able to be used at any time like meth can be.

Let's get this started.

I'd you decide to spray it or use meth injection you need to tune the car for your choice. Last thing I want to see you do is hurt your motor.

Give me a call and we can discuss. The options are good for racing and you need to monitor A/F and set a warning light if your A/F mix gets dangerous so you can get out of the throttle. I like NX I just have not gotten it put on my website yet. You're basically arming yourself with power which requires safety measures. Hope you've been well.

Van

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
so Van if you are tuning with meth is their any way to tune the car to sense if the meth stops working? Cant you have the car pull massive timing if the IAT's rise too high?

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Of course I'll get the setup tuned. I'm going to be getting Jon Lund to tune it once I go with a setup.

To Van, I'll give you a call soon. I'm leaning towards meth, but I'll see what info you can offer me.

Grunnsetning

Established Member
What mods are you running so far?
I see you're form my neck of the woods, sadly I haven't driven the car in about 6 months and have had a revan ce/rad sitting in the garage for about 13 months =(
A 7 month old takes so much time.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Where is the electronic fail safe module for the AIS kit? I don't see one listed. No way I'd run meth without an integrated fail safe in addition to the low level sensor.

I know meth works great in turbo applications just not sure about here. You certainly need a meth tune and then a normal tune. That way, if anything in the meth kit fails, you can switch over. I ran Snow meth some people like Aquamist and there are others. I actually have a new kit that's been sitting in my basement for two years...not sure what I am going to put it on.

Granted, this isn't a Mustang site but it has useful info on meth: [ame=http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145]Water/Methanol Injection, Nitrous & Intercooler Cooling - NASIOC[/ame]

Last edited:

c6vette

Established Member
Go to TurboBuick.com to learn about alcohol injection. I use a 3-stage DIY kit on my Buick with 30+ psi. I prefer alky for turbocharged apps where you can set multiple boost levels for use with and without alky.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Where is the electronic fail safe module for the AIS kit? I don't see one listed. No way I'd run meth without an integrated fail safe in addition to the low level sensor.

I know meth works great in turbo applications just not sure about here. You certainly need a meth tune and then a normal tune. That way, if anything in the meth kit fails, you can switch over. I ran Snow meth some people like Aquamist and there are others. I actually have a new kit that's been sitting in my basement for two years...not sure what I am going to put it on.

Granted, this isn't a Mustang site but it has useful info on meth: Water/Methanol Injection, Nitrous & Intercooler Cooling - NASIOC

I'm looking into the Snow SafeInjection Module & seeing if it can be used with the AIS Kit. It most likely can, if not, all I'd have to do is change some fittings and bam I have a fail safe setup. The ais Stage 1 kit with the dual nozzle upgrade & the Snow SafeInjection Module with the boost bypass valve would run me about $600 total. I like this setup alot, hopefully it'll workout for me. There's no need for a progessive meth injection kit for my setup. I'll set it to a certain boost level, 4 or 5, & when I hit that it'll spray a constant amount of meth until i go out of boost. I'm going to spray the hell out of it.

Last edited:

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
What mods are you running so far?
I see you're form my neck of the woods, sadly I haven't driven the car in about 6 months and have had a revan ce/rad sitting in the garage for about 13 months =(
A 7 month old takes so much time.

It's stock...:-D

If you don't plan on putting that radiator in I'd be glad to take it off your hands.

BigDan

Established Member
Aquamist has some nice built in safety feature, cut off's and multifunction gauge. The import guys seem to consider them one of the best.

Coolingmist seems to be popular on the Camaro forums but that could be more due to the fact that they are a forum sponsor but they say it has safety features.

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
What do you mean just change some fittings? You don't mean just a mechanical fail safe w/o out electronic monitoring, do you? Stuff happens with meth and if your tune is looking for the equiv of something like 116 octane and it isn't there, bad things will happen.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
E-85 will do more but maybe it's not in your area to make it worth the switch. Or your fuel system might not handle it. My IAT2's stayed lower and at the end of only a dyno pull my coolant temps were actually staying the same or they were dropping.

I've been reading on meth for 03/04 Cobra's (for years) and I've yet to find anyone with great results to make me use it on my own car. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse lol.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yup, mainly for the turbo crowd IMHO. As long as it is a high quality kit...otherwise they are a waste of money and you risk blowing your motor.

Users who are viewing this thread