nitrous newbie

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
Okay, I got the spray hooked up on my car this weekend. I"ve only made 3 really short 2nd pulls with it.

1st pull:
Kicked it about 3500, got a good second of thrust then it started stuttering. I let off immediatly. (about 925psi).

2nd pull:
kicked it about 4000K, and same thing. Started stuttering. I called my buddy chad up and said it sounded like not enough nitrous pressure and to heat it up to about 1000psi. Hard to do when not at home.

I called my other buddy and said make sure the bottle is at a 45 degree angle, I just had it laying on its side (brackets on)

We got the bottle upright and it was running 950psi now (????)...We hit it in 2nd at 4000K it pulled HARD and when we got to the upper RPMs there was a loud POP. OH no, nitrous explosion. I pull over, pop the hood, turn the bottle off. No fuel was leaking, no hole in my intake or anywere else. It was idleing fine. Turned the bottle on to check for leaks. Nothing...this was sat night. Haven't sprayed it since.

Its an old compucar wet kit from a 5.0 that I put on my car. Anyone got suggestions?

97SVTStang

Established Member
What plugs are you using and what do you have the gap set at? It really sounds like a plug problem in my opinion. You have to get rid of the stock platnium plugs and use none platnium and set the gap between .030 and .035 inches.

Yes the bottle should be mounted at a 45 degree angle, you put the tall bracket in the front and the shorter bracket in the rear. You want to put the valve of the bottle towards the front of the car and you want the bottle as straight as possible to the car. Don't stand the bottle upright. And please tell me how you heated the bottle, only true, safe, and correct way is to have a bottle warmer.

Here is how I have my bottle mounted if it helps

Last edited:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
We heated it with a zippo....J/K!!! haha.. I'm not completely retarded. We put it in warm water in the bath tub.

so what do you think caused the loud pop? lean pop?

97SVTStang

Established Member
Well a warm tub of water will work, but if you bottle psi is over 900 psi your always good to go.

With your kit being a wet kit if you really are miss firing all that gas you are shooting into the engine is starting to puddle up inside the intake. When that gas puddles and then all of the sudden ignights it will backfire, usually it comes from the intake. Be careful I have seen many blown motors due to a nitrous backfire. It sounds like you got lucky though. Fix your first problem and Iam pretty sure this one will be fixed along with it.

You never said what plugs your using and the gap you have them set at.

Last edited:

97SVTStang

Established Member
Yup, you have to be one step colder than a stock plug and you have to have the gap set at .035 . I Use those NGK's TR6's and have had no problems.

9cobra8

Established Member
Originally posted by 97SVTStang
Yup, you have to be one step colder than a stock plug and you have to have the gap set at .035 . I Use those NGK's TR6's and have had no problems.

The TR6's are actually 2 steps colder but those plugs are perfect.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
well, I figured something else out today. Put my car up on a datalogger. My imrc controllers were bad. Evidently, they've been bad ever since I got the car which is why didn't feel a decrease in power. This is probably why it backfired, too. Up in the RPMs it was pulling 9 degrees of timing going from 27-18-27-18...

Thanks for the advice, guys. But looks like the nitrous project is on hold for a while :(

Users who are viewing this thread