Nitrous hit similar to boost?

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
Doing some nitrous research and read an article that sparked a question. Read this first from the article;

Another advantage is that nitrous provides power in a short burst only when it is needed, so there is less overall strain on the engine than what would be normal with a typical forced induction system. However, when the power does come on, it comes on hard and fast so the engine has to be durable enough to handle the sudden jump in cylinder pressure and heat.

Now keeping the bold statement in mind, does a progressive controller change the hit of the nitrous enough that you can gain 200-250rwhp like some boosted applications? For instance a few 2011-12 5.0s have Paxtons making 620rwhp-730rwhp. So can you run a progressive controller with a 200-250rwhp shot to achieve the same effect? I didn't want to use words and statements like "reliable" or "as good as", because we know that anytime you add this much extra power it can always cause an issue. And we will consider "the tune" as a given! Meaning it obviously wil have to be spot on! Lets also consider that you have no access to race gas and are dyno (not email) tuned for 93 octane with colder plugs. I have heard of guys running a 200 shot like this. And one using race gas! Thoughts?

NestorGT

Established Member
Thats a very interesting question. I dont know the answer but I will find out for you from one of the top nitrous manufactures in the country....My tuner is one of the builders from Wilson and he does nitrous and superchargers.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
I've never heard of any one using a progressive controller for nitrous. Progressive controllers are used for things such as methanol injection systems where you can control voltage to an electric motor to adjust how much it may or may not pump. How much nitrous is sprayed is a mechanical adjustment in the form of jets. Nitrous is an instant hit and you're not going to change that. The only thing you can do to control the hit is run a multiple stage system and start off small. I think what you are asking is if there is a way to make it ramp up smooth like say a turbo. The answer is no

Further more, I would not run a 200 shot on pump gas, or a stock bottom end coyote if you want any kind of longevity

Last edited:

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member
Progressive controllers can be used for nitrous and have proven to be an excellent way to prevent massive wheel spin from a full hit. You can set up the percentage of flow from the initial hit then gradually increase the flow based on time. It won't be exactly like a supercharger/turbo but it gets you in the ball park.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
The first sentence of the quote you posted is bullshit. Nitrous will always be harder on an engine.
I've never heard of any one using a progressive controller for nitrous. Nitrous is an instant hit and you're not going to change that. I think what you are asking is if there is a way to make it ramp up smooth like say a turbo. The answer is no
That's not entirely true. Multi-stage kits are available for a reason. A 150 shot doesn't have to be a 150 shot or nothing. You can have a 3-stage kit with three 50 shot jets that activate when you want them to.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
The first sentence of the quote you posted is bullshit. Nitrous will always be harder on an engine. That's not entirely true. Multi-stage kits are available for a reason. A 150 shot doesn't have to be a 150 shot or nothing. You can have a 3-stage kit with three 50 shot jets that activate when you want them to.

You got me as I was editing my original but that is correct. I wasn't getting into it because ot still hits hard and didn't feel that would answer the question.

ZLwhat?

Speed addict
Established Member
There are pulse width modulated nitrous controllers that allow you to gradually fade in or out a shot of nitrous as needed. They are primarily used for reducing wheel spin, or to spool a turbo and lower nitrous shots when boost comes in. The problem with big shots of nitrous is they are very hard to maintain consistent pressure . Bottle pressure, temp, fuel temp can all effect the tune. With boost it is much easier to compensate for changes in atmosphere because the air is constantly metered.

fangs99

Established Member
I think he was talking about when the bottle first comes on....... And i would agree because boost is always ramped in...... It's ramped in it very fast on a twin screw but still not as fast as nitrous.

Users who are viewing this thread