• No, Stock Engine

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • No, Built engine

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

CVR98GT

Audiophile Poster
Established Member
Just curious how many Nitrous users have popped an engine while on the bottle? I am thinking about going with a 100 shot, but everytime i get serious about doing it, I see someone else that blew up a motor, or hear about having to rebuild every 10,000 miles or some crap like that. It's a daily driver so I can't have the thing out of commitions for a long period of time...what do you guys think?

Last edited:

NXSVTCOBRA

whoever told you they have to rebuild their motor every 10k miles because of nitrous is an idiot, i've had stock long blocks (5.0's and 4.6's) that have been sprayed for thousands of miles my old 93 with hyper. pistons had 178k on it and it was sprayed almost daily and still running strong, as long as you don't over rev on spray or spray at too low of an RPM you should be fine, with a 100 shot stock timing will be good, just go one heat range colder on plugs and you're set......... don't be scared of fairy tales, go out and spray your car

Fiveoh93Snake

Snake Bitten!
Established Member
Honestly bud bottom line it comes down to the tune. An improperly tuned engine on nitrous yes will without a doubt have problems if not grenade all together (head gaskets, pistons, and the all famous "plastic intake in a hundred pieces". I've ran nitrous for years and have yet to all out grenade a motor from its use. My first experience with nitrous took place with a 90GT. I bought the car w/ 78K miles on it and pretty much right off the bat started off w/nitrous (Dry, NOS system) and started off w/ a 75 shot. Timing was retarded from the base 14* to 10* and no problems. From what I remember I ran the car like that for about two months and then upped the shot to a 100. Timing was left alone at 10* still no problems. After a few months of that I then upgraded to the stage 2 of the NOS system making it capable of supporting 150HP jetting. From that point on probably somewhere around 80-85K the car was sprayed almost every weekend definately every other weekend for about 4 years. Motor did eventually "pop" w/ 136K on the clock. Still I would state that the engine failure was not a direct result from the nitrous use. But; you do have to take into the fact that adding a significant amount of horsepower to any engine is going to shorten its life to a certain extent. My engine failure had resulted from a snapped crank behind the first journal. Pretty much anyone with any knowledge of the 302s knows that is one of the weak links for the 5oh.

For your case I don't see a problem with spraying your car. I would definately do as you state and keep it to a 100HP jetting. I would start off w/ 50HP jetting and work your way up. Naturally you will need some means of backing the timing off a bit 4* for 100HP jetting (steeda timing adjuster, some sort of tuner), I would also suggest running a window switch w/ nitrous flow not engaging until 3000RPMS and possibly cut off at 5250RPMS w/ you shifting at 5500RPMS. I would also suggest going with a "dry" type nitrous system instead of the "wet" style system. Goodluck and hope this helps.

WPGFORDGUY

Established Member
Fiveoh93Snake said:
Honestly bud bottom line it comes down to the tune. An improperly tuned engine on nitrous yes will without a doubt have problems if not grenade all together (head gaskets, pistons, and the all famous "plastic intake in a hundred pieces". I've ran nitrous for years and have yet to all out grenade a motor from its use. My first experience with nitrous took place with a 90GT. I bought the car w/ 78K miles on it and pretty much right off the bat started off w/nitrous (Dry, NOS system) and started off w/ a 75 shot. Timing was retarded from the base 14* to 10* and no problems. From what I remember I ran the car like that for about two months and then upped the shot to a 100. Timing was left alone at 10* still no problems. After a few months of that I then upgraded to the stage 2 of the NOS system making it capable of supporting 150HP jetting. From that point on probably somewhere around 80-85K the car was sprayed almost every weekend definately every other weekend for about 4 years. Motor did eventually "pop" w/ 136K on the clock. Still I would state that the engine failure was not a direct result from the nitrous use. But; you do have to take into the fact that adding a significant amount of horsepower to any engine is going to shorten its life to a certain extent. My engine failure had resulted from a snapped crank behind the first journal. Pretty much anyone with any knowledge of the 302s knows that is one of the weak links for the 5oh.

For your case I don't see a problem with spraying your car. I would definately do as you state and keep it to a 100HP jetting. I would start off w/ 50HP jetting and work your way up. Naturally you will need some means of backing the timing off a bit 4* for 100HP jetting (steeda timing adjuster, some sort of tuner), I would also suggest running a window switch w/ nitrous flow not engaging until 3000RPMS and possibly cut off at 5250RPMS w/ you shifting at 5500RPMS. I would also suggest going with a "dry" type nitrous system instead of the "wet" style system. Goodluck and hope this helps.

SAME FOR ME...

It's all in the tune...

isdnmatt

Established Member
Short answer, I haven't blown any motors with nitrous. Ran a 75 and 125 shot regularly on my cobra when i got it. Now the motor has a blower on it and is making 75 more rwhp and still running strong.

SVTCobra306

Established Member
Finch said:
So what do u guys think about a NX Express, http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/FordModularPlate.htm
I have a Stock 02 GT, with 25k miles on the clock. I am thinkin about going pretty into it to protect my car. The steeda timing adjuster, and so on... How does a Window switch work, and which is better that or a TPS sensor?

NX is the shiznit...

I have only installed my NX kit, a Compucar (crap) kit, and a Zex dry kit. No NOS yet, but they are good if they have the Big Shot solenoids. I have a few NOS brand goodies on mine.

NXSVTCOBRA

Finch said:
So what do u guys think about a NX Express, http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/FordModularPlate.htm
I have a Stock 02 GT, with 25k miles on the clock. I am thinkin about going pretty into it to protect my car. The steeda timing adjuster, and so on... How does a Window switch work, and which is better that or a TPS sensor?
nx is the only way to go, you may save yourself some cash and search around the boards for a good used kit, make suree it's not peiced together and that it's complete though, timing adjuster..... save your money, and buy a programmer, window switch allows the nitrous to be used at a certain rpm and shuts it down at a set rpm.... good for the sense that it doesn't let you spray too low, and it also doesn't let you over rev on nitrous, tps sensor im assuming you are talking about a wide-open throttle switch? yes you will need one of those..... pushing buttons to activate nitrous is soooooooo 1960's

SVTCobra306

Established Member
It does look like they've upgraded their solenoids from their catalog, but the one I installed had solenoids the size of my purge valve :loser:

REPCobra10

Established Member
I melted 3 pistons with a 125-shot on my stock '04 Cobra motor, but the tune was shit. Anyways, I was going to rebuild my motor before that happened so it worked out ok and I just got it built quicker than I was going to. If you have a good tuner and knows what he is doing you will not have any problems with nitrous man. Take it easy.

ClOckwOrk

Established Member
you are SUGGESTING a dry kit? lol no wonder why you see all these blown up guys..... dry kits are JUNK!.... you need the fuel!!!!! you cant just tune your fuel curve and expect that to do the job!!! run a good n/a tune, and run some type of retard, always run 93 octane, and NEVER spray under 3k rpm. on a street car with stock internals, just dont spray till 3500. i run a 75 shot on my contour going to step up to 100 and its not really as hard on an engine as people say. run colder plugs, a small retard, and a good tune. you'll be fine

jstevens

Established Member
I am going with a 100 shot dry set up on a WOT switch. I agree if the tune is junk you will have trouble. I use an expert for my tuning.

I'm curious about the over rev part. So, you're all saying if you hold the pedal to the floor for too long that you'll over rev the engine? Very curious as this is my first time with Nos.

When I hit the pedal out of the hole, should I make sure I'm rolling first to avoid breaking traction?

I appreciate all your comments on Nos.

ID3Racing

SVT FTW!
Established Member
i only had a bad experiance w my buds 03 cobra, he didnt get it tuned and just put it in himself (dosnt even know how to wire the thing up) and it was a too large of a shot to handel
so the engine blew and it was stock. but thats from a dumb@$$ doing it. get someone who knows what they are doing and get a good tune, you will have a lota fun!

spike_africa

Established Member
I have the "shitty" compucar kit its fantastic and hits hard has lifetime warranty And has been a great kit. 125shot here untuned on stock internals.

Users who are viewing this thread