Nitrous controllers/ safety

RIPCHVY

Established Member
What are you looking to control the amount of nitrous during activation, or the AFR during the run to prevent knock/detonation?

PurposebuiltGT

Established Member
Do you have a fuel pressure safety switch? I have the NOS Mini 2 Stage Progressive Controller, I believe it should do what you're asking but haven't really played with it.

basspro302

Established Member
What are you looking to control the amount of nitrous during activation, or the AFR during the run to prevent knock/detonation?

I was looking at running the innovate with another controller like the jms. I like the idea of it cutting the solenoid if it goes lean, I'm just not sure if it's worth it.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, I'm just looking to be as safe as possible. The car will probably get tuned by aed or lidio since I'm in Michigan.

Just debating my options on the best setup.
I'm leaning towards the innovate in line with a basic wot and window switch. I plan on spraying it out of the hole so I'm trying to figure out how it will work with my msd 2 step.

Car is a manual by the way.

dennisn

Established Member
Just read through the documentation and the innovative has a built in window switch so no need for a different module for that. Not sure if the a/f cut off would be quick enough to prevent damage if it went lean. Maybe someone else should chime in. I was always paranoid when I was running it. You could run a fpss and a wot as well. Not sure what you stick guys would use for 2 step. Clutch pedal??? Could always use that to interrupt nos as well.

debit_free_2010

Established Member
Just read through the documentation and the innovative has a built in window switch so no need for a different module for that. Not sure if the a/f cut off would be quick enough to prevent damage if it went lean. Maybe someone else should chime in. I was always paranoid when I was running it. You could run a fpss and a wot as well. Not sure what you stick guys would use for 2 step. Clutch pedal??? Could always use that to interrupt nos as well.

Honestly, if you start running lean enough for the A/F controller to shut off the gas, you're going to feel the engine breaking up and should get out of it.

I'm using A Daytona NC-2. It's a 2 stage progressive controller that you need a laptop to program, but an easy unit to figure out.

Cometec offers it as their MT1352 Modotek 2 stage controller that you can get for $260.

I set the controller 100 rpm above the 2-step, drop the clutch ((use a quarter second delay to give the tires a chance to grip)) and let it eat all the way to 7400.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
I had decent results setting the window switch 200rpm higher than the 2 step and using a wot switch for activation

Last edited:

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
I had my fuel solenoid eat dirt the other day and I got very lucky. Afterwards, the compression checked out ok and the pistons looked ok through the bore scope. I'm thinking about adding a PSN-1 to my car. The fuel solenoid cutting out cleaned the pistons a bit.
20160115_151323_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member

What is a FPSS?

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Yup, Fuel pressure safety switch. Made so if your fuel pressure drops it kills the nitrous saving your motor.

I've got one, It just didn't register at that moment what the acronym stood for. I just bought the Innovative PSN-1 and hope to have it on the car in a couple weeks.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
I need some help with choosing a n2o controller jms, msd or any others? I have a msd 2 step and I'm trying to set it up to spray after I let off the 2 step.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/psn1.php
Any input on this?

I've set my two step to operate 300 rpms under the n20 engagement rpm setting and I'm using this controllerhttps://www.holley.com/products/nitrous/controllers_and_accessories/controllers/parts/15982NOS with a FPSS, but I'm moving to the Innovative PSN-1. I haven't decide if I want to pull out the NOS controller and use the PSN-1 solely, with a WOT switch. Or if I want to just run another relay and use one controller for WOT switch and the other for window switch and A/F Nitrous cut. I really don't like peddle micro switches.

Last edited:

basspro302

Established Member
I had my fuel solenoid eat dirt the other day and I got very lucky. Afterwards, the compression checked out ok and the pistons looked ok through the bore scope. I'm thinking about adding a PSN-1 to my car. The fuel solenoid cutting out cleaned the pistons a bit.
20160115_151323_HDR.gif

That's exactly what I'm worried about. If it's breaking up on stock piston and you let out damage could already be done. I'm trying to not be the guy who blows his intake up or destroys a piston because I took the cheap easy way.

Oldbones what setup are you running?

dennisn

Established Member
Just an FYI usually where you put a fpss will NOT save you in the event of a fuel selonoid taking a shit. It's made to ensure your fuel delivery to the selonoid not after.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Just an FYI usually where you put a fpss will NOT save you in the event of a fuel selonoid taking a shit. It's made to ensure your fuel delivery to the selonoid not after.

Yeah, it kinda of sucks that has to go pre-solenoid, but I've seen guys try to run it post and it became cyclical turning on and off.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
That's exactly what I'm worried about. If it's breaking up on stock piston and you let out damage could already be done. I'm trying to not be the guy who blows his intake up or destroys a piston because I took the cheap easy way.

Oldbones what setup are you running?

CJ intake manifold, cams and FBO's with a 100-125 shot and a NX GT500 plate. I'm using the NOS controller I linked above, but I'm making the switch to a Innovative PSN-1 for the A/F monitoring and N20 shut down abilities. I also run the car on E85, which probably saved the engine. 30% more fuel volume compared to gas, tends to help keep the component temps in check.

dennisn

Established Member
Yeah, it kinda of sucks that has to go pre-solenoid, but I've seen guys try to run it post and it became cyclical turning on and off.

You could run it post but you'd have to get creative with the wiring and you'd still be susceptible to the initial hit.

Hey what kind of times you run so far with that setup???

Last edited:

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
You could run it post but you'd have to get creative with the wiring and you'd still be susceptible to the initial hit.

Hey what kind of times you run so far with that setup???

The track hasn't been opened since I've got this system up and running. My n20 setup is currently in need of a fuel solenoid, which I ordered Saturday. I'm not running spray again until I get the new innovative controller installed. That fuel solenoid malfunctioning has me a little spooked. I'd like the motor to last 2-3 more years before a rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread