Nitrogen in your Tires

cooljeff2

Established Member
i was reading on a couple other forms and there was a topic about putting nitrogen in there tires instead of oxygen and i was wandering what you guys thought about it.

Domesticated

Established Member
I have heard that all it does really is keep the pressure more of a constant... The oxygen tends to expand and contract more easily than nitrogen. Pretty much if there is a lot of temp changes around you, then nitrogen may be the way to go.

AZ SVT

Established Member
Its not very important unless you are racing. Nitrogen doesn't expand as much as air when it heats up. Many people think racing is going as fast as the car can go but its not, Air pressure effects spring rates and the contact patch size, both of those effect handling and tire temperarature. When a tire gets too hot the pressure goes up which makes the situation get worse worse and worse. My son is a world champion racer and one of the hardest thing for a racer is to monitor the telemetry and force yourself to go slower than you or the car are capable of to keep that from happening. With equal cars, the winner is who can keep the tires closest to that edge which, if you go over it, causes the downward spiral.

Air is 80% Nitrogen anyway. And while it is the part of air that is least expansding, the water in air is often more of a problem than the Oxygen.

Mike-SVT

Established Member
that was in the paper here in Houston last year and one of the major gas stations was going to start using nitrogen for tire refills. I think it was Shell.

woodchuckbob

Established Member
They've been using nitorgen in tires for racing since my dad was a pit crew member back in the 70's. So it's not like it's some new discovery that everyone should switch to.

rmvurhdfmurass

Established Member
Originally posted by woodchuckbob
They've been using nitorgen in tires for racing since my dad was a pit crew member back in the 70's. So it's not like it's some new discovery that everyone should switch to.

Military Aircraft (and I assume civilian as well) have been using pure N2 in their tires for a long time. The reason is just like stated above... brake heats get appreciably higher in an aircraft that was 150k lbs, and the N2 is less likely to make the tire go pop because of expansion rates, and thermal capacities... blah blah blah.

Users who are viewing this thread