Nikon D60

I know there are no pics but since there will be i decided to post in the pic section

So... first of all i dont know much about cameras and lenses but I am a quick learner

The wife wants to get me a gift so I choose...

The product: Nikon d60 with 18-55mm AF-S VR lens

My questions:
1. is this a good camera
2. does anyone have pictures taken with this setup so that i can see the quality?
3. and what programs would you recomend for me to purchase to make them look even better.

and pretty much anything else that you think I need to know

Thanks

Last edited:

The_Wretched

Established Member
you can't go wrong with Nikon. Nikon and Canon to me are just about equal in the digital game. If you really wanna be a rebel??? go with 35mm... Digital is nice... but nothing comes close to 35mm IMO. The original 35mm Canon Rebel is the SHIIIATE!!!!

CLN 6R

Established Member
Not trying to sound like a dick, but ask yourself this.

Do you need a camera of this caliber?

The_Wretched

Established Member
Not trying to sound like a dick, but ask yourself this.

I think the way he sees it is this:

"I'm gonna be given a gift... a badass gift. Why buy the D40 and in a year want to upgrade??"

That would be my logic too. It's not a camera for beginners... but seriously, just reading a few books on Digital Photography... and that's it.

A good eye/instinct helps heaps... that can't be learned tho.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member

"I'm gonna be given a gift... a badass gift. Why buy the D40 and in a year want to upgrade??"

That would be my logic too. It's not a camera for beginners... but seriously, just reading a few books on Digital Photography... and that's it.

A good eye/instinct helps heaps... that can't be learned tho.

Ummm, yes it is.

The_Wretched

Established Member
Ummm, yes it is.

The average person/beginner doesn't know what ISO of soft flash means. That's what I meant. The person who really doesn't know about photography. Buying a DSLR and leaving it on "auto" is a waste of time/money.

You buy a D60... or a D40 or a $12,000 Canon... you better know how to use it properly.

Have you ever gone to Best Buy?

Half the idiots that walk in there don't know crap about cameras and buy these $800 cameras. I was buying my girlfriend a camera and I was hanging out with my friend who works in the camera section. This novice guy... pompous jerk, came up to him and said: "you recommended me this camera (rebel xsi 10mp) and it sucks..."

He had it on the highest ISO setting and wondered why the pics he was taking at night were blurry...

Last edited:

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
I am not the most advanced photographer but according to friends who are, rule out the d40

they said D50 or canon xsi w/ lense kit

why not the d40? "i chose to buy a used nikon d50 over the d40 because of the d40 only having 3 AF points and the fact you have to AF-S lens with built-in focus motors, like the OP said this makes your choices on lens more expensive and limited"

Last edited:

CLN 6R

Established Member
I am not the most advanced photographer but according to friends who are, rule out the d40

they said D50 or canon xsi w/ lense kit

why not the d40? "i chose to buy a used nikon d50 over the d40 because of the d40 only having 3 AF points and the fact you have to AF-S lens with built-in focus motors, like the OP said this makes your choices on lens more expensive and limited"
I'm not sure if your friend 100% completely knows what he is talking about. But I agree with not getting a D40, prices have come down so much that a D50 or D60 can be had with a kit lens for cheap.

Edit: $588 shipped. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/588821-REG/Nikon__D60_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

Last edited:

Well no...what i do want is high quality witch is one of the reason i was told to go with the D60 and why I ask for samples from you guys.

That would be my logic too. It's not a camera for beginners...

You're right it is kinda how i looked at the cituation and the reason why I started the thread is to hear you're opinions.

now if you have a d40 and have some pics show me...pretty much i wanna see the average joe's pictures using such a camera.

couse listen at the end of the day I come across some threads with some amazing high quality pics but never know what it takes for such quality as far as equipment goes, I know it takes a whole lot of knowledge of the equipment and most of all practice...I know that...

Last edited:

The_Wretched

Established Member
Well no...what i do want is high quality witch is one of the reason i was told to go with the D60 and why I ask for samples from you guys.

You're right it is kinda how i looked at the cituation and the reason why I started the thread is to hear you're opinions.

now if you have a d40 and have some pics show me...pretty much i wanna see the average joe's pictures using such a camera.

I own either... lol.

I have 35mm Rebel. A Sony DSC-H1 (crap)... and Canon Rebel 10mp Xti.

Last edited:

CLN 6R

Established Member

I'm just trying to help you out and not make your wife spend a lot of money on a camera that you may not know how to fully utilize. If you plan on actually reading the manual (which many people don't and then wonder why their pictures suck) and learning the camera, then by all means, it's a great camera.

carguy1985

I Do Car Photography
Established Member
I would buy the body only and get the 18-135mm lens or just buy the lens kit with the body.

IMO 18-55mm lens is not good unless you shoot indoors primarily. the zoom is very limited.my 18-135mm is perfect for everyday stuff.

p.s. i have a D80.

smokymance

The Slower Modular Breed
Established Member
i got a d40x...bought it mid this yr and and i already want a d90 or d300...i got a d40x for sale if u want it...

R1Lello

Established Member
I would buy the body only and get the 18-135mm lens or just buy the lens kit with the body.

IMO 18-55mm lens is not good unless you shoot indoors primarily. the zoom is very limited.my 18-135mm is perfect for everyday stuff.

p.s. i have a D80.

+1.........18-55 not enough focal length, forget that lens and pay a little extra and buy one with more. 18-135 will be good for a long time

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
well i dont have any of the d60, but here are some of the canon XSI which i believe people compare quite often...

3046191373_db775bb8e2_o.jpg

2904315870_0dcc4477ee_o.jpg

pics are taken by average photographers ... no pros or expensive crazy expensive gear, just the body, lens, tripods, photo-shop

Last edited:

carguy1985

I Do Car Photography
Established Member
my friend took these with his d60. He just got it a little while ago but it gives you ideas. He is still learning with slrs so...

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread