Night Shade taillights vs Smoked

SVT_Cobra_

Established Member
Why is it illegal to have night shade on your tail lights but you can purchase smoked ones that are just as dark? Is it because night shade takes away from its reflective property? Is there any way a cop could tell between bought smoked tail lights vs ones that have been blasted with night shade? I have mine smoked (not black) and polished up where they look great but would be willing to purchase a pair if i knew it would save me a ticket

2L8ULUZ2

Established Member
Laws are going to vary from state to state but here in NC we have a foot rule that determines if they are legal or not. Personally I don't follow the foot rule and just use common sense. If I can see them light up enough to let me know your stopping then they are ok with me. If you hit it with so much night shade (like the VW I saw the other day) that I have to squint to see them in the dark your going to get a warning at first and a ticket the second time.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Most products will tell on the packaging that a particular item may NOT be legal in all 50 states and that it is up to the consumer to check ALL local and state laws in their jurisdiction. As far as telling whether or not it is VHT nightshades or a set purchased with tint, we have a law in VA that says brake lights SHALL be clearly visible at a MINIMUM of 500 feet in bright daylight. It is up to the LEO to prove that in court. That being said, VA law also says that NO light shall be equipped with any type of cover. So, shading is okay to a point, covers here are a no-no.

SVT_Cobra_

Established Member
Most products will tell on the packaging that a particular item may NOT be legal in all 50 states and that it is up to the consumer to check ALL local and state laws in their jurisdiction. As far as telling whether or not it is VHT nightshades or a set purchased with tint, we have a law in VA that says brake lights SHALL be clearly visible at a MINIMUM of 500 feet in bright daylight. It is up to the LEO to prove that in court. That being said, VA law also says that NO light shall be equipped with any type of cover. So, shading is okay to a point, covers here are a no-no.

Couldnt night shade be considered a type of "cover"?

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Couldnt night shade be considered a type of "cover"?

It could be. If it is done poorly, then it will definitely be seen as that. If it is done very nicely, it would be hard to tell.

musclefan21

Established Member
It is all about visibility here. Night shade or not. If we can see them at a certain distance, you are good, if we can't, night shade or not, it would be in violation of the vehicle code.

Users who are viewing this thread