Nice weekend for a Roush/TVS install :)

kevinp

Established Member
Ordered another Roush kit from Justin at VMP and it came in Friday afternoon, good timing since the car just hit 1000 miles and no knocking/ticking or other strange noises so figured its time to void the powertrain warranty in style..

Not going to do a big writeup since its been done quite a few times, but here is the condensed version:

Saturday Morning, getting started:

IMG_1180_zpsca79f36a.gif

Picture of what needs to be ground on the newer front covers, I wasnt able to find any pics of the newer covers. WAY easier and less messy then when I did the ribbed cover on my '11. Took about 5 minutes to grind, most of the time was spent covering everything:

IMG_1181_zps73f6faeb.gif

Since these are the 'tuner' kit they dont come with a few extra parts for the autos like the 575 and 625 kits from Roush. I was able to dig up the auto trans supplement from Roush and it shows how to use the stock brake aspirator/check valve and how to swap out one of the transmission lines to make the drive bracket a lot more easy to deal with. Simple stuff, except for finding a couple feet of 1/2" transmission line on a Saturday afternoon. But I found it and it will sure make a belt swap easier, anyone who did like I did on my old car and left the stock trans lines will know what I'm talking about. Pic of the redone trans lines:

IMG_1188_zps3ae0c851.gif

Other than that and having to take off a couple extra front end pieces because of the '13 bodywork its pretty much the same as my '11, I also used the P&P harnesses from VMP, it really wasnt that hard to re-pin them on my old car but I was just being lazy.

Finished it up this afternoon, unfortunately I dont have a tune yet so I'll have to wait until tomorrow for that. Since I already had a similar combo I'm not expecting anything new, but I miss having a 10 second daily driver that gets 25mpg so I had to have another:

IMG_1196_zps99d4adff.gif

I also put some Roush rear springs and an adjustable PHB to level the car out some, the blower drops the front about .5" and the rear springs drop it about .75 so it will end up looking better. I'll post up a pic of the whole car when its running, hard to get a decent pic in the garage.

After I put a few miles on it I'll put some DRs on it and see what it does at the track before the hot weather hits.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Nice, I didn't know about the auto trans lines being so tight until I installed mine recently. I removed the bracket that holds the lines to the fan shroud and it's not too much of a pain now, link to the Roush line mod info?

kevinp

Established Member
Nice, I didn't know about the auto trans lines being so tight until I installed mine recently. I removed the bracket that holds the lines to the fan shroud and it's not too much of a pain now, link to the Roush line mod info?

Yea, you have to remove the trans line bracket for it to even fit, but it still leaves the hoses crammed up against the LH bolt that hold the bracket on. That makes it a pain to get a new belt on. With the one metal line moved its wide open.

I also had a little problem with my old car and the manual trans brake check valve, if you pumped the brakes a few times sitting still it would stuble and sometimes die. Supposedly using the stock brake check valve/aspirator will eliminate that.

Found the auto supplement at Jegs:

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/800/832/832-421277.pdf

kevinp

Established Member
Looks good. Are you going to put a catch can on it?

I have a JLT can I can stick inline that I never put on my old car with the TVS, the bubbler setup they use seems to work fairly well though. I'm sure some oil ends up in the intake but I never had any issues in 12,000 miles with my '11.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
The brake aspirator stuff is a hoot, Ford really threw a curveball putting those things on. They're considered a vacuum booster, normally used on smaller engines. Or the 5.0 auto.
Problem is the aspirator has an internal check valve, using an open elbow at the booster.
I got a universal booster check valve for $8 at the zone.. fixed.
Thanks for the link.

2FST-4U

Established Member
very nice Kevin i see you bought another car and TVS blower. i ordered one from Justin last week for a customer friend of mine. i will be doing the install once the blower comes in. i am also doing lower springs and off road pipes on the car i also ordered the 82mm pulley and the p&p harness cant beat it makes the install so easy. good luck keep us posted on track times. ;-)

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
The brake aspirator stuff is a hoot, Ford really threw a curveball putting those things on. They're considered a vacuum booster, normally used on smaller engines. Or the 5.0 auto.
Problem is the aspirator has an internal check valve, using an open elbow at the booster.
I got a universal booster check valve for $8 at the zone.. fixed.
Thanks for the link.

Plus the aspirator dampens the hit on the intake vacuum if you you pump the brakes at an idle, at least thats what a Ford engineer told me - I'll find out soon enough.

I had a check valve off a manual 2011 on mine, same as the universal but it fit tighter.

kevinp

Established Member
very nice Kevin i see you bought another car and TVS blower. i ordered one from Justin last week for a customer friend of mine. i will be doing the install once the blower comes in. i am also doing lower springs and off road pipes on the car i also ordered the 82mm pulley and the p&p harness cant beat it makes the install so easy. good luck keep us posted on track times. ;-)

Wont be as fast as yours lol.

alex12gt

Established Member
id throw a catch on both side i had one on my driver side but when i pulled the blower and that off there was alot in the tb ext so ill be adding one on the pass side as well

kevinp

Established Member
Thought I would bring this back up, got it running and have been driving the car for a few days and all is well. I have to say VMPs tune is GREAT, one thing I didnt like with my '11 was the touchy throttle and occasional surging with the cruise on going down the highway. This newer tune has none of that. Throttle is as smooth as could be and easy to modulate.

Its a daily driver so I just leave the 90mm on it, ZERO knock retard anywhere and still pulls like a freight train. The 82mm pulley I'll use at the track whenever I make it out there again. I'm also happy that the SCT logging software works perfect, not sure if its the car or if they fixed something but it was pretty frustrating on the when it would lock up at WOT.

Couple people PM'd me for a pic with the roush rear springs with the blower on it, I think it sits pretty nice, just a tiny bit of rake and a little lower overall:

DSCF1049_zps2467d261.gif

Now its time for some wheels tires, I m getting a little attached to the stock wheels though, might put some 275/40/19s on the rear and call it a day.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
Cool to see you back. Nice looking car. I took notes regarding the transmission lines for my install. Thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread