NHRA Rules Clarification Request

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
After reading the rulebook, for NHRA-sanctioned tracks, my understanding for 1/4's is:

0) Minimal Tech; Long pants, and shoes, or sneakers.

1) Sub 14-sec requires helmet. Helmet must be certified Snell 95 or better, SA200, etc.

2) Sub 14-sec with slicks requires a drive shaft loop.

3) Sub 13-sec with street tires requires a drive shaft loop.

4) Sub 12-sec requires a roll-bar. (Coups).

5) Sub 12-sec requires protective clothing.

6) For 4 & 5 above, IHRA is sub 11.5-sec? (Need confirmation)

7) Sub 10-sec requirements much more involved. (not in my life-time)

7.1) Certified roll cage;
7.2) Wheel studs;
7.3) Blow-proof bellhousing

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

Rattlebox

Iggles Fan
Established Member
I know that you need a helmet for sub 14 sec. The other stuff I'm not familiar with, but it reminds me, where can I get a driveshaft loop for my car ? :bash:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Always best to check with the track before u head out. Cause 1 track in San Diego, Ca wants u to have a helmet now matter what or how fast u drive :shrug:

Ud think that the cars are so advanced....compared to a few years ago they would change some of the rules :shrug:

Coupes going into the 11 sec zone. 120 - 125 WTF? U want me to freaking weld in my daily driver a roll cage?

PS Im sure the mods might move it to time slip?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Ud think that the cars are so advanced....compared to a few years ago they would change some of the rules :shrug:

Coupes going into the 11 sec zone. 120 - 125 WTF? U want me to freaking weld in my daily driver a roll cage?
I agree, pretty sick when your factory car has to be all safed up to hit the track, I would think if its safe enough for ford to mass produce it should be safe enough for the track. Im going to be hitting the track in a couple weeks, Im going to just ease into it and granny shift and see what kind of time I get, try and get a few launches in before getting on it. Never been to the track with any car let alone my 500+ rwhp cobra so not sure what it can do. On a positive note I still have my F1's on so dont plan on doing to well, but it would suck if I got lucky and got sub 12's and was tossed off the track for no cage :(

Cobrachs

Established Member
Those sound right, but alot of tracks here in MD dont seem to pay any attention till you hit the 10's, or so it seems in my opinion. I have been to all in MD but Cecil I think and nobody seems to check me or my bro in laws low 11 86 gt. Sometimes they ask to see a helmet but only once has someone actually checked the dot rating. Also what track are you going to, MIR for example is IHRA and the rules are a little different

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
125 - 150 :shrug:
Granted going that fast on the freeway is not safe & for sure death can happen but at the track?

Safety Personal, no distractions from other driver then just the opposite competitor & going on a straight line :shrug:

P.S. Shawdowgray...im sure u'll put some good numbers down ;-)

SC457A

Established Member
techincally.. you need a roll bar from 11.99to 10.00

cage is different...

with mph in the 120-130 range these cars can produce that is equal to a 10.sec car easy
quite a few places can get you a drive shaft loop... look in summit of jegs

be happy you dont run 9.99 or faster. rules get real strict then

certified roll cage... comp lics.. fire pants and jacket( required to have on 11.99 and faster just a sfi-1a jacket) and a bunch more pain in the butt rules... but they are there for saftey...and usually an reason for the rule

Last edited:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by SC457A
certified roll cage... comp lics.. fire pants and jacket( required to have on 11.99 and faster just a sfi-1a jacket) and a bunch more pain in the butt rules... but they are there for saftey...and usually an reason for the rule
It is sort of a double edged sword since they want people to be safe but some people push thier car to the limit on the street with none of these safety precautions in place because they want to find out what they and the car are capable of. Sometimes these rules force people to avoid the track because they know they will get the boot and even if the roll bar, fire suite, studs etc are not used on the track, lets face it, the track is still a much safer environment to see what these cars can do. In the end I would more likely say they are there for liability under the guise of safety, but why split hairs.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Well the other issue is that some folks are just willing to go into the track for just pure fun but say like VERTS....they can make it really difficult for them to just simple enjoy good & safe fun.

So the rules can screw things up as well.

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
Thanks to all for the input!

I'm going to run a continuous edit on the original post, just to document what we know for future reference. If mod's need to be made to our online "rulebook", let me know.

SC457A; If you have any specifics on NHRA vs IHRA rules, that would be great.

Cobrach's; I mostly go to 75-80 & Capital Raceways. I want to T&T next week at Lancaster Speedway when I'm up visiting family in Buffalo.

Even if the rules are not evenly enforced, I'd like to be in compliance.

Last edited:

jtfx6552

Established Member
When do we need wheel studs and a blow proof bellhousing?

Do we need any type of axle retention or loops on the halfshafts?

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
When do we need wheel studs and a blow proof bellhousing?

JT

I'll put the studs, & bellhousing in sub 10-sec until we get confirmation. Do you think axel retention & halfshaft loops are same/different requirements from loop "rules" in 2 & 3 (original)?

SC457A

Established Member
most nhra and ihra rules are very similar.. i only am a nhra member so dont have ihra rule book ... but i know a lot of ihra racers.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Here is what we came up last time we went through these.

14.00 & Up
- Catch Can
- Seat Belts
- Neutral Safety Switch
- Battery Secure
- Electrical Cut Off Switch (if battery is relocated)
- Windshield (free of cracks)
- All Lug Nuts
12.00 - 13.99
- Drive Line Loop (with slicks 13.99, with street tires 12.99)
- Helmet (Min Snell 90)
11.00 - 11.99
- Jacket (SFI 3.2A/1)
- 5/6 point Roll Bar and Padding
-5 pt harness
- Arm Restraints (Open Body Cars SFI 3.3/1)
- Flywheel (SFI 1.1 - 1.2)
- Clutch (SFI 1.1 - 1.2)
- Flywheel Shield (SFI 6.1, 6.2, or 6.3)
- Valve Stems (Steel)
- Seat Belts - 5 Point (SFI 16.1)
10.00 - 10.99
- Trans Shield (SFI 4.1)
- Axles (Aftermarket)
- Harmonic Balancer (SFI 18.1)
- Window Net (if roll cage is reqd)
- Roll Cage and Padding (with altered firewall)
- Jacket (SFI 3.2A/5)
- Pants (SFI 3.2A/5)
- Gloves (SFI 3.3/1)
8.00-9.99
- Electrical Cut Off
- NHRA License
- Neck Collar
- NHRA Chassis Sticker
4 Wheel Brakes

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Also there is this following rule

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aftermarket axles and axle retention device mandatory on any
car running 10.99 or quicker or any car with locked differential. Cars running 10.99 or quicker that weigh more than 2000 lbs with independent rear suspension without upper and lower (both) control arms must replace swing axle differential with conventional differential housing assembly. Cars with independent rear suspension using upper and lower (both)control arms may retain swing axle assembly regardless of weight or ET. Must have 360 degree, minimum 1-inch wide by 1/4-inch thick axle retention loop on each axle.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So by this we I believe we fall into the following classification.

Cars with independent rear suspension using upper and lower (both)control arms may retain swing axle assembly regardless of weight or ET. Must have 360 degree, minimum 1-inch wide by 1/4-inch thick axle retention loop on each axle.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Rattlebox
I know that you need a helmet for sub 14 sec. The other stuff I'm not familiar with, but it reminds me, where can I get a driveshaft loop for my car ? :bash:

I put in a Metco and it is a nice piece, but the instructions suck.
attachment.php

You can also do a lakewood.
attachment.php

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
Here is what we came up last time we went through these.

Thanks a lot toofast!

Helmet & loop should keep me in good standing for awhile.

Regarding sub 12:

- Flywheel (SFI 1.1 - 1.2)
- Clutch (SFI 1.1 - 1.2)
- Flywheel Shield (SFI 6.1, 6.2, or 6.3)

Any chance these are rule-compliant already in the stock '03?

Last edited:

Black Chip

Established Member
NHRA RULES

Just FYI, I think that ANY convertible running 13.99 or quicker needs a rollbar. That would include any '03 vert. unless you miss a gear...... Alright you'd have to miss 3 to go that slow....:D

davidmax

Established Member
And I believe sub 9's require a chute as well.I got my D.Shaft loop from SHM when they did my last pakage its inexpensive,EZ install and looks rather dapper as well.Dave Smilovic Xtreme

Users who are viewing this thread