nGauge clarification

Jim Ferraro

New SVT Poster
Established Member
There are currently two versions of the nGauge available, the Lund nGauge and the HP Tuners nGauge.
The Lund version works exclusively with Lund's tuning and the HP Tuners version works for everyone else with the HP Tuners software.

The devices are very similar, so what really matters is: Who will be doing your custom tuning?
If it's Lund, buy the Lund version.
If it's *anyone else*, buy the HP Tuners version.

This is a quickie video I shot of my truck with the HP Tuners version:
[video=youtube;0ROdYzZLYfI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ROdYzZLYfI[/video]

HP Tuners nGauge supports
2011-2015 Coyote (Mustang and F150)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
11-14 F150 EcoBoost

Mine is a 12 F150 Coyote (Copperhead PCM).

Jim Ferraro

New SVT Poster
Established Member
exclusivity

Jim, are you saying that Lund is using a product that is exclusive to them.

Yes. The Lund nGauge is specifically for Lund and only Lund. Other tuner shops (or enthusiasts with the HP Tuners software) can not tune or make any changes to the tune with the Lund nGauge. Only Lund can write the tune for you.
The HP Tuners nGauge works for anyone with the HP Tuners software. Any shop. Anyone with the software. They can simply overwrite the old tune if you switch tuners.

My intent with this post is CLARIFICATION, not bias.
If you're getting a Lund tune, get a Lund nGauge!
If you're getting anyone else's tune, get an HP Tuners nGauge!

For those that buy an HP Tuners nGauge and ultimately decide to get a Lund tune, a solution is seemingly in the works for that.
Example: Customer buys HP Tuners nGauge and gets it tuned by __________ in California. They then decide they want a Lund tune at a later date.
A scenario is in the works where Lund will be able to unlock the HP Tuners version of the gauge (for a reasonable fee) so that it can be tuned with and locked to Lund.
This is, naturally, a much better scenario than needing to buy ANOTHER nGauge for the same vehicle, just for the sake of changing tuners.

Make sense?
I'll have more info soon...

Last edited:

Jim Ferraro

New SVT Poster
Established Member
Haven't tried maxing it out yet, but we had 4 or 5 tunes on mine while testing it and I'm sure there was room for more. The factory micro sd card is 4GB, so it should hold a lot of tunes.
I'll have to check the file size of the exported file.

Of course, they sell micro SD cards much larger than 4GB. I haven't tried it with a larger card yet, but it's on my list.
(I want to drag all files from the factory 4 GB micro SD card and paste them into another with more capacity and see if it works normally. I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work, but it's still good to try things before saying "yes" =o)

Last edited:

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
That makes sense. Thanks for all the info. I am excited about this product for a gauge as well as the data login and other functions.

Anthony K

Established Member
Well well well

Certain sponsor that jumps in every thread to make sure you know they can help you get the part you're looking for used to use The fact that Livernois Motorsports used their own tuning software as a disadvantage....... Hmmmmm now that his..... I mean "our Lund tunes" are proprietary, I wonder if the story has changed??

Jim Ferraro

New SVT Poster
Established Member
Ruswolf: No, you'd need to have your tuner shop tune your vehicle with HP Tuners.

Anthony: HP Tuners is about to announce sponsorship of Ken at Lund, much like they sponsor other tuner shops who race.
Lund will be using HP Tuners and featuring the logo in some of their videos.

It just so happens that they have their own version of the nGauge. The nGauge you purchase simply depends on who you will have tune your car. Lund nGauge is for Lund.
HP Tuners nGauge is for any other HP Tuners custom tuner / tuner shop.

Example: Amazon, Tuners Inc, JPC, etc...

908ssp

Established Member
Lund has been tuning my SCed car and working with him is great and the tunes have been real good. A couple more minor data runs a dyno run and we're done.

Users who are viewing this thread