Next firearm

Black306

Established Member
Since there seems to be a significant number of armed Americans on this board, I though I'd ask the question here. :)

I've been trying to settle on my next pistol. The prerequisites are 45ACP and priced at ~$800. Accessory rail is a bonus. The current crop is narrowed to a Sig 1911R, Kimber Custom II, and a Sig P220R.

I'd like to get a 1911, but it seems both the Sig and Kimber have issues with their guns in the price range I'm looking at. If I raised my budget, I would like to get a SW1911. But that would put me closer to another category of guns on my list (Desert Eagle and AR15). So I'd like to keep the budget relatively low.

I've shot P226s and P229s and liked them, so I believe I'll like the P220R.

All that said, what's your take on the listed 1911s and/or do you have another suggestion for a 1911 from a different manufacturer? And have you heard anything that might make me reconsider a P220R?

Thanks! :beer:

txyaloo

Established Member
In that price range, for a 1911, I'd get a Springfield Loaded Range Officer.

I wouldn't get any 1911 without a lifetime warranty. That rules out Kimber. Their quality control is also poor.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Have you thought of an HK USP?? Around that price range, and a badass proven weapon..

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
My buddy had a ruger .45 (no idea the model #) and it was one of the more fun pistols ive shot. Was right in your price range too.

Sent from my iPhail using Tapatalk while doing 90 on the freeway and streetracing through traffic. What now?

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
If you want a 1911, look at Springfield. I also have my sights set on the brand new Springfield XDm 5.25 Competition series. Should be an awesome shooting gun.

jliddle

Established Member

I wouldn't get any 1911 without a lifetime warranty. That rules out Kimber. Their quality control is also poor.

Truth. This man knows his 1911's.

Hell id buy used SA before Kimber anyday.

Black306

Established Member

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like a good option. I'll have to find out how much my local dealer wants for one of those. :beer:

EDIT: I do have a question about reliability, but I'm going to word it a bit differently. Would you use it as a HD pistol? Not that I plan on using it as a sole HD pistol, but it would be nice to know I could rely on it if it were the closest one to me during an unfortunate event.

Last edited:

Black306

Established Member
Sig Scorpion is around 800-850.

I saw those, but I'm not a big fan of the color. I would prefer a stainless or black pistol. I really like the looks of the Sig 1911R Stainless.

26569-DEFAULT-L.jpg

I also like how Sig has their signature recessed part of the slide.

Black306

Established Member
Have you thought of an HK USP?? Around that price range, and a badass proven weapon..

I believe it was a USP, but I have shot an HK. I didn't really care for the one I shot. The texture of the grip was .... too pointy. Googling a USP, it looks like a very similar pistol to the one I shot.

Black306

Established Member
If you want a 1911, look at Springfield. I also have my sights set on the brand new Springfield XDm 5.25 Competition series. Should be an awesome shooting gun.
I believe that the XDs are similar in grade to the M&Ps. I have an M&P9 and I really like it. Only gripe is the trigger. I've REALLY thought about installing an Apex Tactical DCAEK or FSS. But my wife really likes the gun too. If I change it too much, she may not like it. Part of the reason I'm out for another pistol is she is "claiming" the M&P9 and that I should get another one for myself. Who am I to argue? ;-)

txyaloo

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like a good option. I'll have to find out how much my local dealer wants for one of those. :beer:

EDIT: I do have a question about reliability, but I'm going to word it a bit differently. Would you use it as a HD pistol? Not that I plan on using it as a sole HD pistol, but it would be nice to know I could rely on it if it were the closest one to me during an unfortunate event.

I wouldn't use a pistol for HD, but that's a different thread.

Since you asked about using it for HD, I would have no problems using any of the Springfield Loaded models for HD. Some folks will say the Springfield PRO is the lowest Springfield line you should go with, but in the $800-1000 price range, most of the guns are the same. You're paying for the warranty and customer service.

I wouldn't use it for HD/SD until I'd run at least 1,000 trouble free rounds through the gun, but that's my standard for any self defense gun.

I believe it was a USP, but I have shot an HK. I didn't really care for the one I shot. The texture of the grip was .... too pointy. Googling a USP, it looks like a very similar pistol to the one I shot.

The USP's grip isn't very pointy. I can't think of an HK that has a super pointy grip. They're all very similar. Most people don't like the stock HK triggers. DA/SA sucks, and the heavy LEM takes some getting used to. I have a light LEM trigger in my USP and even it takes a few shots for me to get dialed back in after shooting a lot of rounds with a Glock or 1911.

I believe that the XDs are similar in grade to the M&Ps. I have an M&P9 and I really like it. Only gripe is the trigger. I've REALLY thought about installing an Apex Tactical DCAEK or FSS. But my wife really likes the gun too. If I change it too much, she may not like it. Part of the reason I'm out for another pistol is she is "claiming" the M&P9 and that I should get another one for myself. Who am I to argue? ;-)

I would encourage you to swap triggers on the M&P. You'll like the pistol so much more. The stock triggers suck.

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
Why not a G21/30? I also really like my XD. I own alot of handguns, and my best shooter is the XD.45. Surprised the shit outta me that it shoots as well as it does. It's not my favorite looking gun,though. And it's not ideal for CCW

UncleDan

Established Member
The Smith and Wesson M&P 45 is a great handgun. It also comes with a rail mount and interchangable grips. The price is somewhere around $600 for a brand new one.

If you want a 1911, Smith and Wesson makes lots of those too, but it will be way beyond your price range.

Users who are viewing this thread