Newspaper publication claiming I owe them money

Klay

Established Member
Hopefully someone can give me some insight on this situation.

Background: In August I had some young guy come to my door trying to sell newspaper subscriptions. I felt bad for the guy so I told him I would buy a set (10 weeks worth) for $20. I wrote him a check and signed the little form he had for my subscription. I never got anything delivered to my house that I noticed and only ever saw emails from the publication. So I assumed that was how they were delivering their paper to me (online). I didn't care much anyway because I don't read the paper ever, I just did it to help the guy out. I had received an email back in October telling me my subscription had expired and if I wanted to continue it, I needed to call them or click on the email. I didn't want to renew it so I left it alone.

Fast forward to this week and I get a call asking me if I wanted to continue my subscription. I said I thought it was done already but no and they told me they would cancel it because it was still active. Apparently, I needed to call them to cancel it (unknown to me). Well today I get another call asking me why I cancelled and I explained. They told me that I had an outstanding balance (didn't say the amount) for the deliveries I was getting after the intial 10 weeks. I was surprised because A. I never received the paper to being with and B. I had no idea it was an ongoing subscription because the salesman said it would stop unless I renewed it. So I told her no I wasn't going to pay because I never even got the paper nor did I want it beyond my subscription. She said ok and said she would notate it on the account. I reviewed the paper I signed and apparently it does say it is an ongoing thing I need to call to cancel (stupid of me not to check.)

My question is, can I be sent to collections for the bill I supposedly owe them? The email I received does contradict the paper I signed but I realize the signed document is what actually matters. I never received any physical paper and I don't even know how they can prove I did. I paid by check so they don't really have any other personal info that would be necessary to send me to collections (I presume anyway).

I've heard of people being sent to collections for this type of stuff and I don't want any problems. Thanks for reading and any help is appreciated.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
dude i could send you to collections if i wanted to lol. doesnt mean squat. unless they have your ss# it wont affect your credit at all.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
how does one send them fo collections???

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

there are companies you can call and the hound the hell out of someone for you for a fee. i may have to do this to a certain mustang vendor who goes around bouncing checks and then doesnt pay up :bored:

Kiohtee

Established Member
Since the paper you signed states you would have to actually call to avoid renewing your account and you didn't, morally and more important legally you are still obligated up to the day you physically called/a call was made on their behalf regarding your account.

It can't mean much money and if they wanted to press the issue I'm sure they could provide proof through the 'contract' and/or phone logs. I'd just pay it and move on personally.

Edit: I would think the fact that you never received a physical copy of the papers doesn't mean squat as you probably should have taken that upon yourself by contacting the company and informing them of the issue.

Last edited:

dooberGN

Established Member
This reminds me of that company back in the day that would offer you like 15 CDs for a dollar but you had to buy more at a later date for full price. Just blow it off.

coposrv

Established Member
Find out how much you owe, pay it, and let it be a lessoned learned. It can't be much and it's no reason to hurt your credit if they do send it to collections.

All you need to know is right here^^^
Having a balance due of what? Maybe 60-70 tops ( with late fees) is an easier pill to swallow than having a mark on your credit for something so small.

tnuce10

Established Member
dude i could send you to collections if i wanted to lol. doesnt mean squat. unless they have your ss# it wont affect your credit at all.

Is that true Steve?

I've always wondered how that worked. Was late on a couple utility bills last month because I was gone on vacation and was kind of wondering if that would affect my credit?

I bet that's a dumb ass question haha

slidai

Established Member
Hopefully someone can give me some insight on this situation.

Background: In August I had some young guy come to my door trying to sell newspaper subscriptions. I felt bad for the guy so I told him I would buy a set (10 weeks worth) for $20. I wrote him a check and signed the little form he had for my subscription. I never got anything delivered to my house that I noticed and only ever saw emails from the publication. So I assumed that was how they were delivering their paper to me (online). I didn't care much anyway because I don't read the paper ever, I just did it to help the guy out. I had received an email back in October telling me my subscription had expired and if I wanted to continue it, I needed to call them or click on the email. I didn't want to renew it so I left it alone.

Fast forward to this week and I get a call asking me if I wanted to continue my subscription. I said I thought it was done already but no and they told me they would cancel it because it was still active. Apparently, I needed to call them to cancel it (unknown to me). Well today I get another call asking me why I cancelled and I explained. They told me that I had an outstanding balance (didn't say the amount) for the deliveries I was getting after the intial 10 weeks. I was surprised because A. I never received the paper to being with and B. I had no idea it was an ongoing subscription because the salesman said it would stop unless I renewed it. So I told her no I wasn't going to pay because I never even got the paper nor did I want it beyond my subscription. She said ok and said she would notate it on the account. I reviewed the paper I signed and apparently it does say it is an ongoing thing I need to call to cancel (stupid of me not to check.)

My question is, can I be sent to collections for the bill I supposedly owe them? The email I received does contradict the paper I signed but I realize the signed document is what actually matters. I never received any physical paper and I don't even know how they can prove I did. I paid by check so they don't really have any other personal info that would be necessary to send me to collections (I presume anyway).

I've heard of people being sent to collections for this type of stuff and I don't want any problems. Thanks for reading and any help is appreciated.

This Is why I don't even open the door to salesmen. Sadly, if they wanted to, they could have collections after you. Lets hope they can listen to reason and just forget the charges.

Users who are viewing this thread