Newly available Front Bra for our Shelbys

03reptile

Established Member
Over the past two years I've been in regular contact with Colgan Car Bra company (now owned by Covercraft) trying to get them to design a new bra for the 2013 and 2014 GT500. After talking to their CEO, they have come through and now have a high quality bra for our car's protection. Colgan (now Covercraft) has one on it's way to me as I write this. I have purchased four past Colgan bras for my various cars and they have all been high quality pieces. They use a soft inner surface to protect the paint and they fit perfectly. I use the bras only for long trips and remove them once I arrive at my destination. They afford great protection against truck debris and anything else flying into your front. Just google Colgan.com and follow the prompts to order the options you want. It's the best $186.00 insurance you can get to protect the nose when traveling. I've not experienced any paint damage of rub marks on any of my cars. I waited this long because I didn't want to pay big bucks for a clear bra application that would be difficult to remove in the future. I've taken trips in driving rain with no adverse effects. I'm just giving you 13/14 owners an option for providing protection for the front of your car on long trips.

Kapy

Established Member
Just get Xpel clear film. It is worth the investment plus you don't look like you time warped back to the 80's.

dom418

Established Member
Just get Xpel clear film. It is worth the investment plus you don't look like you time warped back to the 80's.

This! Clear bra is the way to go. If you get a bra then you must also grow a mullet and add t-tops to the Shelby:nono:

Kapy

Established Member
This! Clear bra is the way to go. If you get a bra then you must also grow a mullet and add t-tops to the Shelby:nono:
Oh man, you just gave a ton of peeps an idea that may come back to haunt us. T-tops on a Shelby! Holy cow!

03reptile

Established Member

Yes, and as I previously stated, the Colgan bra is comparatively less expensive, which is why the bra is a better, and less labor intensive, temporary option. You can easily put it on and take it off and use it successfully for years to come. It also provides better protection than the clear bra adhesives. I really don't care how it looks. I ordered the carbon fiber look-alike material which I also have for the wife's BMW and think it looks just fine. Before Colgan came out with this bra, we had no option other than the clear-bra alternative, which has it's long-term issues. I'm more concerned about the protection this bra affords my car. It's a viable and worthwhile option for those who use it as intended.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Oh man, you just gave a ton of peeps an idea that may come back to haunt us. T-tops on a Shelby! Holy cow!

LOL...yeah clear bra is the way to go, had it on my Boss and now on the Shelby...it is awesome!!!

Regards,

Manuel

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Yes, and as I previously stated, the Colgan bra is comparatively less expensive, which is why the bra is a better, and less labor intensive, temporary option. You can easily put it on and take it off and use it successfully for years to come. It also provides better protection than the clear bra adhesives. I really don't care how it looks. I ordered the carbon fiber look-alike material which I also have for the wife's BMW and think it looks just fine. Before Colgan came out with this bra, we had no option other than the clear-bra alternative, which has it's long-term issues. I'm more concerned about the protection this bra affords my car. It's a viable and worthwhile option for those who use it as intended.

Clear bra's have come a long way, both XPel and 3M have very good products that are very trustworthy.

Manuel

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Over the past two years I've been in regular contact with Colgan Car Bra company (now owned by Covercraft) trying to get them to design a new bra for the 2013 and 2014 GT500. After talking to their CEO, they have come through and now have a high quality bra for our car's protection. Colgan (now Covercraft) has one on it's way to me as I write this. I have purchased four past Colgan bras for my various cars and they have all been high quality pieces. They use a soft inner surface to protect the paint and they fit perfectly. I use the bras only for long trips and remove them once I arrive at my destination. They afford great protection against truck debris and anything else flying into your front. Just google Colgan.com and follow the prompts to order the options you want. It's the best $186.00 insurance you can get to protect the nose when traveling. I've not experienced any paint damage of rub marks on any of my cars. I waited this long because I didn't want to pay big bucks for a clear bra application that would be difficult to remove in the future. I've taken trips in driving rain with no adverse effects. I'm just giving you 13/14 owners an option for providing protection for the front of your car on long trips.

Awesome! I used to use one for my '03 Cobra on roadtrips to keep my front end from getting beat to hell. On the East Coast we don't always have the luxury of keeping plenty of distance from the car in front of us.

A colgan bra sure beats the hell out of that stupid blue painter's tape that I see guys spending way too much time applying and removing for roadtrips. Clear bras look like shite so there aren't many viable options IMO.

I hate rock chips so the $186 beats $500 to get the bumper cover repainted.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Awesome! I used to use one for my '03 Cobra on roadtrips to keep my front end from getting beat to hell. On the East Coast we don't always have the luxury of keeping plenty of distance from the car in front of us.

A colgan bra sure beats the hell out of that stupid blue painter's tape that I see guys spending way too much time applying and removing for roadtrips. Clear bras look like shite so there aren't many viable options IMO.

I hate rock chips so the $186 beats $500 to get the bumper cover repainted.

Have you seen the latest clear bra's??? I will post close up pictures of mine tomorrow.

Manuel

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
The Colgan bra looks horrible- causes scratches- and is loud on the road.

I found all of this out on my 1995 Taurus SHO the hard way

It's not 1995 anymore.

That being said- if you can afford a $55k+ GT500- you can afford $300-$600 for a clear bra.

03reptile

Established Member
This thread was not initiated to begin a feud between the bra types. Just wanted to provide a new option, not previously available. Each owner can make his own decision. I've made mine. For those who appreciate the option, glad to have helped.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
This thread was not initiated to begin a feud between the bra types. Just wanted to provide a new option, not previously available. Each owner can make his own decision. I've made mine. For those who appreciate the option, glad to have helped.

I'd put a clear bra on 1st- before the Colgan- that way you won't scratch the paint.

CMP

Fanatic Cobra Poster
Established Member
I have a clear bra as well and yes I drove around with a front end bra in my older stangs back in the 80's (I call it the Def Leopard days...lol) and kind of funny the only reason I had a bra on my 83/84 cars were:

*The 351w and big carbs would not fit under the stock hoods so I geri-rigged the hood to remain partly open, but pretty secure with the bra in front (I know young and stupid, but a nitroused 351w was fast back in the days).

*I used it as an excuse to not open my hood to show during a pre-street race (i.e. too difficult to remove cannot show my motor..sorry, but let's race for fun anyway..after that it was $100 a pop per race and I was taking home $2K every weekend:pepper:.

In all seriousness though a car bra regardless of how soft the liner is will scratch the paint. It is not the bra itself for the most part, but any small debris, rock..dust whatever that gets caught under the bra will rub on the paint and will result in paint damage.:nono:

Last edited:

Breitling

Established Member
I'd put a clear bra on 1st- before the Colgan- that way you won't scratch the paint.

I'd be interested to see some pictures of the clear bra. Preferably where the clear bra ends on the paint just so I could see what the line looks like. Also, what about our stripes? Does the clear bra go over them, or do they cut around them. Curious as the matte black stripes may not look good with a shiny clear coat on top of them.

Thanks!

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Sorry, I'm not buying that stuff about the new clear bras making no difference when removed after 5 or 6 years of ownership.

Better to save the money and have the bumper cover repainted after a few years by a reputable shop. It's probably right around the same cost.

Users who are viewing this thread