Newly acquired '99 Cobra Hood problem.

RougeSteel

I recently picked up a '99 cobra and I popped the hood to change a blown headlight and I haven't been able to get it to latch since. I have searched just about every forum I could think of and tried all the posted solutions.

I've used a punch to knock out the two small pins and increase adjustment, I've lubed the latch to death, I've removed the bump stops still to no avail. I even went to the junkyard and pulled a new, working latch and still nothing.

The car has a 2000 Cobra R hood and a Terminator bumper. There are no clearance issues under the hood. I simply just cannot figure it out.

The one issue with the hood that I noticed is that the portion of the hood where the driver side bump stop is supposed to rest is caved in (from years of fighting with the latch I assume?) and it looks like the passenger one isn't far off from doing the same.

If anyone could offer some advise before I buy hood pins it would really be appreciated.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
The terminator front bumper sits higher at the two pillars compared to a 99/01 Cobra bumper. I had to push the pillars back a bit and drill new holes in the top where the push pins go to get the hood to want to close. And even then, I have to slam the hood from at least a foot or so above the latch to get it to securely catch. I replaced the entire latch assembly with a new OEM unit and have it shimmed a little bit. It's a bitch, but I never really found a fix-all solution either.

jeason15

Established Member
Did you slam it? I know that sounds basic, but with these mustangs, you gotta want it... Like real bad...

Users who are viewing this thread