Newby in Northern Illinois looking to get into Open Track...

rocket5979

Established Member
Ok, so I heard of that Blackhawk track near Beliot just north of Rockford. I am curious what the process is for actually getting started in this whole thing? For the not so serious new racer what mods do you reccomend for proper safety for a first timer?

BTW, I intend to drive the 05 Lincoln LS V8 on the track. It should do ok with over 300 hp (not stock) and a near 50/50 weight diistribution. Nothing special by any means, but at least it won't drive like crap. hehe.

Any suggestions or good info on getting this newby started? It would be really cool to get some info from someone who has raced or races often at Blackhawk. Thanks.

Robert

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Robert:

All you need is a Snell '95 (or preferrably, newer!) helmet. Go to an event where you will get some instruction. Classroom and behind the wheel.

Do nothing to the car except add a little air to the tires.

Lincoln LS?!?! I love them!!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

rocket5979

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Robert:

All you need is a Snell '95 (or preferrably, newer!) helmet. Go to an event where you will get some instruction. Classroom and behind the wheel.

Do nothing to the car except add a little air to the tires.

Lincoln LS?!?! I love them!!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Hey man thanks for the info. I need a helmet for the dragracing I do anyways, so that shouldn't pose a problem.

It would be nice to get some instruction time from a qualified teacher! I wonder if Blackhawk offers that?

So just add air then? Hey thats an easy mod for me. lol. The type of mod I like, cheap and simple. hehe.

Not that you see them at the track often or anything, but how do the LS's compare with cars relative in their class (AKA normal people vehicles)? The LS's aren't too powerful but at least we have the suspension to help us out.

Cobra-R

Established Member
rocket5979 said:
Hey man thanks for the info. I need a helmet for the dragracing I do anyways, so that shouldn't pose a problem.

Make sure your helmet isn't "M" rated, many organizations won't accept motorcycle hemets.

rocket5979 said:
It would be nice to get some instruction time from a qualified teacher! I wonder if Blackhawk offers that?

http://www.nasamidwest.com/ Sign up for a NASA HPDE (High Performance driving event) They offer instructors and are great for beginners all the way to racers. They are going to be at blackhawk in April.

rocket5979 said:
So just add air then? Hey thats an easy mod for me. lol. The type of mod I like, cheap and simple. hehe.

You will also want to check over your brakes and make sure the pads and rotors are in good shape. It is always a good idea to bleed the brakes right before the event as well. Other than that, just making sure the car is in good mechanical condition is all that is needed.

rocket5979 said:
Not that you see them at the track often or anything, but how do the LS's compare with cars relative in their class (AKA normal people vehicles)? The LS's aren't too powerful but at least we have the suspension to help us out.

In the hands of a good driver, I have seen them passing very modded Mustangs and the like. It comes down to mostly driver. Come to the track with a open mind and a desire to learn. There is no quick ticket to being fast, Instruction and seat time the speed will eventually come on it's own.

Good luck, hope to see you at Blackhawk.

Brian

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Listen to Brian. He taught me everything I know!! But he didn't each me everything HE knows, that's why he's still faster than me!! :bowdown:

rocket5979

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Listen to Brian. He taught me everything I know!! But he didn't each me everything HE knows, that's why he's still faster than me!! :bowdown:

Teeheehee. Like MR. Miagi and Daniel-san. hehe.

Cobra-R

Established Member
ac427cobra said:

Ohh boy, I smell some BS, wana compare RA lap times buddy? :lol: :poke: :beer:

Brian

bcsvo

4V Road Racer
Established Member
Check out nwshelbyclub.com
They have an opentrack at Milwaukee Mile May 6th.
Also run a great Road America event and Autobahn Country club.

Brian

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Cobra-R said:
Ohh boy, I smell some BS, wana compare RA lap times buddy? :lol: :poke: :beer:

Brian

Well, as we ALL know, Road America is a horsepower track. You know that extra 100 horsepower comes in handy! ;-)

Even a slow driver in a fast car will be faster than a fast driver in a slow car! :beer:

Driver for driver in equal equipment, you're going to be spanking me like a redheaded stepchild Buddy!! :bowdown: :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread