Newbie Question here: Concerning Rotors.

SonterraSVT

10thAnniversary SVT Cobra
Established Member
I see many types of rotors.. Ones with circular holes machined in the sides, ones with lines beveled along the circumference, some vented some not.

I know the purpose is for cooling, but what are the benefits having these different types of rotors? Can you guys post some pictures with the different types of rotors aforesaid and a quick discription/purpose for the braking equipment?

SonterraSVT

10thAnniversary SVT Cobra
Established Member
I hope i was clear on my question, I vehicle vocabulary is not the best!

sqidd

Established Member
I am going to upgrade my brake system befor spring. I have done a little research and this is what I have come up with.

Street/Roadrace(tracktime)
the front rotors and calipers will need to be replaced with a system like Brembo, Bear Claw etc.. This will run you about $2000. Braided lines and good pads for the rear $300. This will get you a heavy duty sytem that will stand up to repeated hard braking. The stock system failed and began to fade badly when I had my car on the track after five two mile laps.

Hard Street Use
If you are going to do some back road blasting depending on how agressive you are you should be able to get away with changing out your front rotors, front and rear pads and changing over to braided lines. This is probably what I am going to do. Go with slotted rotors istead of drilled ones. The slotted ones are less likely to warp or crack. The slots a designed to disapate the gases that are created as the pad burns away. Powerslot Rotors seem to be a good product and do not cost much ($125/pair I think). Hawk makes some great pads according to my racer friend.
Any braided lines will work. Use good fluid.

My racer friend assures me that a set up like the one above will yeild incredible braking. He says anything short of all out track use will be a breeze.

sqidd

Users who are viewing this thread