newbie looking to buy lighning

C&S Evo7

HI Guys,
i am looking to buy a 2003/4 lightning over here in the UK, i was wondering if there is anything in particular to look for, any common problems etc.
I have had a 5.0 GT stang for 12 years (now being restored) a couple of evos and an s2000 and have been involved in pro drag racing nearly all my adult life so i already know the performance car basics, i looked though the faq's but didnt see a buyers guide or such like.

looking forward to your replies.

Simon.

C&S Evo7

33 views and no comments? surely someone must have some advice to offer ? or have i just found an unfriendly place?

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
at 48 views , unfriendly then i guess. im outa here. thanks :-(

Sorry, the Lightning community is pretty much dead anymore. Also, there's no major concerns specifically with the 03/04 Lightnings that I can remember off the the top of my head.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
If you were looking in the US, I have one of the Last Sonic Blue lightnings made, and its a cherry with docs to prove it. I hate to see her go but the flights to Denver to see my sister and new nephew are $70... A tank of gas is over $100 , and in the 1,200mi trip is 5 tanks is easily $500. I highly doubt gas will get cheaper, so I've been looking at performance. And comfort. Not to mention. I've got an '82 F-100 with a 302ci modified to run on gas or alcohol. 87, 100proof moonshine, vodka, e-85 she just goes.

Last edited:

2001SVTTRUCK

Established Member
The Lightning community is anything but dead as of yet. Lots of events are advertised on here and Lightning Rodder for these and the Harley trucks in the US. As for availabilty in the UK, I'm not too sure about. I thought anything that didn't get 5,000,000 mpg(or what ever the L/100km equivilant is) was illegal over there.

Only thing you need to watch out for if you purchase one are weak factory connecting rods(powdered forged) and the Eaton supercharger likes to over heat above 14psi and i wouldn't go over 16psi on a professionally ported Eaton. Just keep them out of O/D at wide open throttle and keep the playing to quick runs, 1/4 mile not autobahn.

Users who are viewing this thread