Newbie Exhaust help please

Birdys03Cobra

Established Member
Ive got myself a Stock 03 Cobra that i purchased last summer. The car only has 12,000 miles on it, and its stored for the winter...

Im looking to change the exhaust, its much to quiet. Ive been looking around this site and other sites on what exhaust to purchase. I want something that will have a nice rumble with idle, but can become a beast when stepped on "not extreme" I want to keep the Cats on because ive had problems in the past with getting pulled over with my previous vehicles.

Is there anywhere to read up on the basics of exhausts? I dont know much about mid pipes and x pipes and all that, Ive only purchased turbo-back and cat-back exhausts in the past.

Sorry if i sound like a total newbie, just looking for some help to make my cobra sound mean...thank you

h82luz

beer drinker
Established Member
Go through the exhaust soundboard and find what you like. i run the bassanni and wouldnt change it for anything

Birdys03Cobra

Established Member
Go through the exhaust soundboard and find what you like. i run the bassanni and wouldnt change it for anything

I do like the bassani sound, what type do you own? Do you have the entire system or a x-h pipe? Im confused when it comes to everything at this point.

h82luz

beer drinker
Established Member
every person is different. i have mac long tubes with the lethal catted x and the 2.5 bassanni. the more posts that come up on this subject the more answers you will get

massmustang02

I hate Wrist Pins
Established Member
X traditionally gives a raspier sound while an H will give more of a deeper sound. Chambered mufflers like Mac's and Flowmaster's are more rumble type while Straightthrough designs such as Loudmouth's, Stinger's, and Maganpac's give more of a race type sound.

Birdys03Cobra

Established Member
Thank you for your help, so if i had purchased just the Bassani exhaust system, how would that be? Is it worth it for me to also purchase the x or h pipe? I prefer a deep rumble sound, with a nice sound at idle and driving normal, but a louder tone when stepped on

massmustang02

I hate Wrist Pins
Established Member
If you like the sound of the Bassani I would go full system. Catted X and Catback exhaust. I was about 60/40 for the Stingers over the Bassani but that's only because I like a little rasp.

RS22

Established Member
I have Flowmaster Original 40's mufflers and a Pypes O/R X-pipe and I love the sound. I might switch the o/r X to an o/r H or an o/r prochamber because I like the deep american muscle rumble exhaust sound. But for now, it has a nice rumble at idle and when I step on it it gets really loud. If you are worried about it being too loud, I'd suggest a catted midpipe (X or H is up to your sound preference really).

Go to the Exhaust soundboard and you can choose your personal favorite and try to recreate it w/ your car.

I'd also note that some of the cars sound like crap on the soundboard but sound awesome in person so don't let that fool you.

RS22

Established Member
I have Flowmaster Original 40's mufflers and a Pypes O/R X-pipe and I love the sound. I might switch the o/r X to an o/r H or an o/r prochamber because I like the deep american muscle rumble exhaust sound. But for now, it has a nice rumble at idle and when I step on it it gets really loud. If you are worried about it being too loud, I'd suggest a catted midpipe (X or H is up to your sound preference really).

Go to the Exhaust soundboard and you can choose your personal favorite and try to recreate it w/ your car.

I'd also note that some of the cars sound like crap on the soundboard but sound awesome in person so don't let that fool you.

svt2ner

Established Member
Had borla before and I hated it. I got mac 2.5 catback its real quiet but deep until after 2k, then it gets louder and you get a nice rasp tone around 2500. This is all on a vert too, so if youve driven your car with top up youll know that noise levels go up but the exhaust is still quiet, louder than stock but not obnoxious. I got a pypes catted x now and is perfect.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
These may or may not help... I know the blower kinda drowns it out too.
This is a FULL bassani setup.. headers, o/r X and cat-back. I love it.

[ame=http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=33949808]Cobra Dyno Pull1 Video by Jesse - MySpace Video[/ame]

Birdys03Cobra

Established Member
Thanks everyone for your help, this is difficult to decide on which one to go with. There are so many types of exhausts and pipes and wow its almost overwhelming because i dont know what direction to go in. Ill keep looking at the sound-board and around other sites for more information. I never realized how many exhaust systems are out for the mustang, it was much easier on my g-35 and my F-350..

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Bassani ftw and a lil polishing on the CB. Picture whore time.

dsc01839.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread