Newb with questions about tracking a Mustang.

ARMORED SNAKE

Established Member
Hi, my nane is Alex. I started tracking an Evo and had fun but grew tired of the way they drive.

I then sold it and got my new cars wich are a 1997 Cobra and a 2008 GT-500. My question is wich would be the better track toy and why. I'm not sure wich one is between suited for track duty and would like to start working on one asap. I haven't been to the track in my own car for over a year and the itch is getting bad, lol.

Thank you.
-Alex.

MFE

Established Member
Which one's paid for? If one is free and clear, there's your track car. If they're both paid off, well...the 97 is lighter and will be easier on wear items IMHO.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I agree with MFE that the '97 will be lighter and easier on equipment.

But more importantly than that, how much on-track experience do you have and what do you mean by "start working on it"?

It also depends on what types of tracks you're going to. Shorter, tighter tracks, my vote goes with the '97. Bigger, longer tracks I'd say the GT500.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

ARMORED SNAKE

Established Member
Thanks for the replies!

Both of my cars are paid in full and both are available. That was one thing I had thought about before though, wear items. The 1997 is much lighter and should be alot easier and cheaper on parts.

And to Bruce my experiance is about a year and a halfs worth and with a car that was easy to drive. So I guess I'm not very experianced.

So you guys say the 1997 is better huh? I do like tight low speed tracks!

Also, by start working on the car I ment prepping the car to take to the track.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Thanks for the replies!

Both of my cars are paid in full and both are available. That was one thing I had thought about before though, wear items. The 1997 is much lighter and should be alot easier and cheaper on parts.

And to Bruce my experiance is about a year and a halfs worth and with a car that was easy to drive. So I guess I'm not very experianced.

So you guys say the 1997 is better huh? I do like tight low speed tracks!

Also, by start working on the car I ment prepping the car to take to the track.

Well you certainly have some track experience so it's not like you're a novice or anything! :-D

If you enjoy the shorter tighter tracks the GT500 would be a poor choice for you. That car needs a BIG track like VIR, Road America, Watkins Glen and the like to stetch it's legs.

The longer you drive a factory stock car, compensating for the car's inefficiencies, the better driver you will become. Particularly if you can drive that car fast! :burnout:

ARMORED SNAKE

Established Member
I'm leaning towards the 1997 now.

If I start tracking the 97 Cobra.. What would be some good things to do to the car from the start?

Brake fluid, high performance pads, or anything like that?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I'm leaning towards the 1997 now.

If I start tracking the 97 Cobra.. What would be some good things to do to the car from the start?

Brake fluid, high performance pads, or anything like that?

First mods I would do would be front brake cooling ducts, flush the brake fluid out with a good high performace fluid and some slightly upgraded front pads. (the pads need to be double duty street/track if you're driving it to the track and don't want to change the pads at the track)

Also a comfortable Snell SA 2005 or newer helmet and you're rocking.

If you have leather seats in the '97 you might want to pick up some anti-skid matting to sit on as well.

ARMORED SNAKE

Established Member
I see, that's pretty basic and easy!

So those factory 2 piston PBR Calipers will be ok on the track? And by duall purpose pads do you mean like a hawk HP+ or similar?

What do you think about the Maximum Motorsports full lenght subframe conectors? I remember you saying this SN-95 chassis is like a bundle of sticks taped together or something, lol. Not good right?

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I see, that's pretty basic and easy!

So those factory 2 piston PBR Calipers will be ok on the track? And by duall purpose pads do you mean like a hawk HP+ or similar?

What do you think about the Maximum Motorsports full lenght subframe conectors? I remember you saying this SN-95 chassis is like a bundle of sticks taped together or something, lol. Not good right?

The PBR calipers are a decent caliper. Not a good one, a decent one. Once you have some spare change you'll surely want to upgrade to a Y2KR Brembo four piston fixed caliper which increases braking efficiency and makes pad changes a breeze!

Yes, something like a HP+ would be good for starters.

A good FLFSFC would be a great addition to your car. You will notice a huge difference after their installation.

A bundle of sticks taped together is actually pretty stiff! ;-) An SN-95 chassis, no so much so! :poke::p

Good luck!

ARMORED SNAKE

Established Member
Hey Bruce, you might know the answer to this since you have both a Cobra R and GT-500.

Is the Brembo caliper on the GT-500 the same as the Brembo caliper on the Cobra R? I know the rotor is about an inch diffrent on the Shelby. But the caliper looks to be the same piece on both.

I was wondering if I could pull the Brembos off of the Shelby and put them on my 97 Cobra? Maybe I can buy just the bracket, rotor, and brake lines from brembo and use my calipers.

I have decided on the 97 to be my track toy because of the small tight track thing and how the Shelby doesn't like them and I do, lol.. The Shelby will now be set for drag and the car will not need it's big brakes in the front anymore. The would only be geting in the way of running a 15" wheel in the front like the Cobra Jet Mustang.

Do you think this idea could work Bruce?

Thank you for all the answers guys. I really apreciate the help! =]
-Alex.

P.s. I know my spelling sucks, sorry.

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
The 97 would be my choice regardless of which type of track you attend most. Lighter and easier on equipment will always get my vote.

I wouldn't rape your GT500 to put parts on the 97. Do the brake ducts, upgraded pads, flush your fluids and take the 97 to the track and start running it. While you do track events and get seat time, you can save up for a brake upgrade and FLSFCs.

My .02

-Kevin

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Hey Bruce, you might know the answer to this since you have both a Cobra R and GT-500.

Is the Brembo caliper on the GT-500 the same as the Brembo caliper on the Cobra R? I know the rotor is about an inch diffrent on the Shelby. But the caliper looks to be the same piece on both.

I was wondering if I could pull the Brembos off of the Shelby and put them on my 97 Cobra? Maybe I can buy just the bracket, rotor, and brake lines from brembo and use my calipers.

I have decided on the 97 to be my track toy because of the small tight track thing and how the Shelby doesn't like them and I do, lol.. The Shelby will now be set for drag and the car will not need it's big brakes in the front anymore. The would only be geting in the way of running a 15" wheel in the front like the Cobra Jet Mustang.

Do you think this idea could work Bruce?

Thank you for all the answers guys. I really apreciate the help! =]
-Alex.

P.s. I know my spelling sucks, sorry.

Alex:

The GT500 calipers won't work on the SN-95. There is a kit available that requires hacking up the spindle to adapt them but I'd recommend against it.

I'd also advise against removing the Brembos on the Shelby. Leave them on and find a skinny wheel that fits. Brakes are a safety item! :idea:

David Hester

Established Member
We had to use the PBR calipers in SCCA A/Sedan up till 2 seasons ago.
Some of the national drivers complained about them clamshelling (spreading open), but I had the same set on my car from '95 to '08. 13 years of SCCA club racing. Maybe I was just not that fast :shrug:, but for track days they should be fine.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
We had to use the PBR calipers in SCCA A/Sedan up till 2 seasons ago.
Some of the national drivers complained about them clamshelling (spreading open), but I had the same set on my car from '95 to '08. 13 years of SCCA club racing. Maybe I was just not that fast :shrug:, but for track days they should be fine.

Or maybe you were just fast, but easy on your brakes. :poke:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
+1 on the FLSFC's. Made a notable difference in the stiffness of my Cobra. Should be among the first mods on any SN95/NE Mustang...IMHO...especially if you are going to run it hard. I run mine pretty hard regularly on some pretty rough back roads (why I love the IRS) and at 50K miles she still really solid.

Users who are viewing this thread