Newb to IRS (Swapped from Solid) - Alignment and Jacking Questions...

Blinkstang

Established Member
I recently had an 03' IRS swapped into my 02' GT and had a few questions - being new to the IRS world. Thought I would post here to obtain the best responses...

1. Where are the best locations to jack the rear end up from?

2. I definitely need an alignment. I've never gotten a 4-wheel alignment coming from a solid. How do they align the rear? And will most major alignment shops know how to do this properly? Where have you taken your cars to get aligned?

Currently my rear end looks like I have a few pounds of cement in the trunk or a couple dead bodies. The tops of my rear tires are leaning in while the bottoms are sticking out. Will the alignment take care of this issue properly? The person I swapped with had stock springs, but I used some Kenny Brown springs I picked up instead, since my car was already lowered. I know there are technical terms to describe what i have (negative camber, etc...) - but i do not know how to use them properly, haha.

Here are a few pics of the rear end and how the wheels/tires are sitting, you can see how slanted the rear is compared to the front (excuse the filthy car):

12ha9.jpg

15pp3.jpg

View from above:

13tx3.jpg

3. Last, while doing some research on here, I read that it would be a good idea to have the car "Road Force Balanced" when doing the alignment (to help problems with vibrations). Exactly what is this, and do all alignment shops do this? Thus far I have not experienced any "vibe" issues with the car.

Thanks for the help!

mavereq

Established Member
there are cam washers on the bolts that tie the upper control arm to the spindles. those are where they will adjust your camber.

the toe link bars should adjust the rear toe, hence the name. i don't know of any other alignment adjustments for the irs.

Users who are viewing this thread