Newb tire ?

Ba_SVT

Established Member
First post here, but wondering about experience/ opinions regarding MT street comp vs ET. I will barely track, love to have better shoes in a street 1/8 mile setting or just 2nd/3rd launches, but drive regularly...although not necessarily a DD, I can sit out for heavy rain.
And here's a cartoon....:rockon:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I just put on some 315/35R20 NT05Rs on my stock wheels and they hook from a dig or any roll. The MTs are nice but way to much money IMO

raustin0017

Established Member
Congrats on a great car and welcome to the forum! Good luck with your tire search. Mine has the GY still. Going to wait until they are done...and then going to stuff her with as much rubber she can hold.

BOD89LX

Established Member
Well drag radials will be great for racing from a roll but raise hell with the clutch protection on stock cars and the Michelin PSS are a great tire to replace the factory rubber with and will work great from a roll with a stock car.

Ba_SVT

Established Member
Well drag radials will be great for racing from a roll but raise hell with the clutch protection on stock cars and the Michelin PSS are a great tire to replace the factory rubber with and will work great from a roll with a stock car.

Better than MT's though? I've heard great word of mouth for both, but leaning towards the street comps

BOD89LX

Established Member
Better than MT's though? I've heard great word of mouth for both, but leaning towards the street comps

I have run the MT's and the Nitto NTO5R's and the stock Goodyears and the PSS both drag radials work great but when launching from a dig they can be hard to keep the clutch protection coming on, my car has mods and a tune with the clutch protection turned off so I don't have any problem with the drag radials.

Zevox

Established Member

I don't think the Street Comps come in a wide enough size to keep your car hooked. The largest size is a 275/35r20 right? I wanted a set but 275 seems too little for my 5.0.

Also sorry for invading the GT500 section, just creeping on UnSkarred's posts. :D

ECRUZ0884

Established Member
I have run the MT's and the Nitto NTO5R's and the stock Goodyears and the PSS both drag radials work great but when launching from a dig they can be hard to keep the clutch protection coming on, my car has mods and a tune with the clutch protection turned off so I don't have any problem with the drag radials.

Clutch Protection? Please explain.

Thxs

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Clutch Protection? Please explain.

Thxs

It's the one "nanny" you can't turn off without a tune. It pulls power just like traction control does if it detects a specified amount of clutch slippage. It's one of the reasons the car is so hard to launch. The car either bogs because of the LC/TC, or if you turn everything off it can bog due to the ECP.

stutter

eat me
Established Member
I have new Forgestar CF10's and I put Michelin A/S 3 up front with 275/40ZR19 and Michelin Super Sports out back 315/35ZR20. I originally replaced my Goodyears with the A/S 3 because it was getting cold here in TN and I had no traction in 40 degree weather but they had better traction on warm days!!!!. So I decided to keep the A/S 3 up front since they have the same tread design as the SS. My wheel size is 19x9.5 front and 20x11 rear, with a BMR adj panhard bar, the 315's tuck in nicely and have no rub at full suspension travel!!!
IMG_4191.jpg

IMG_4194.jpg

IMG_4193.jpg

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I have new Forgestar CF10's and I put Michelin A/S 3 up front with 275/40ZR19 and Michelin Super Sports out back 315/35ZR20. I originally replaced my Goodyears with the A/S 3 because it was getting cold here in TN and I had no traction in 40 degree weather but they had better traction on warm days!!!!. So I decided to keep the A/S 3 up front since they have the same tread design as the SS. My wheel size is 19x9.5 front and 20x11 rear, with a BMR adj panhard bar, the 315's tuck in nicely and have no rub at full suspension travel!!!
IMG_4191.jpg

IMG_4194.jpg

IMG_4193.jpg

That's their black matte finish? Did you select the offsets or did they suggest it when ordering?

stutter

eat me
Established Member
yes matte black and I did my research and Paul at Howey industries comfirmed it and thats who I bought them through. they are 19x9.5 +32 and 20x11 +53

Ba_SVT

Established Member
I have new Forgestar CF10's and I put Michelin A/S 3 up front with 275/40ZR19 and Michelin Super Sports out back 315/35ZR20.

You run MPSS 315 in the back with no issues? I noticed you have super snake badging, did you widen the wells? The most I have heard of the Michelin's on stock trim is 295, and even then some claim rub

Ba_SVT

Established Member
I don't think the Street Comps come in a wide enough size to keep your car hooked. The largest size is a 275/35r20 right? I wanted a set but 275 seems too little for my 5.0.

Also sorry for invading the GT500 section, just creeping on UnSkarred's posts. :D

Creeping is appreciated! So what size/ brand are you looking at?
What is stock for you?

mineralstangt

Established Member
IMG_4191.jpg

IMG_4194.jpg

IMG_4193.jpg

I've been eyeballin' those on americanmuscle, good looking setup! I wonder if I could do 20x11 on the rear stock ...

Zevox

Established Member
Creeping is appreciated! So what size/ brand are you looking at?
What is stock for you?

Running my stock 19x9 Brembo wheels with the stock 255/40 pirellis still for now. I was thinking about getting the Mickey Thompson wheels and tires in 20's but the rear rim is 20x10.5 and the 275 seems too small for that rim. Making a choice on what wheels and tire I want to run has been a hard one. I'm still kicking around the idea of 19x9.5's with some 275/40 hankook ventus to have more sidewall.

Trying to steer away from 20" rims now since I've done more research and every tire for a 20" rim that is of decent size is a $400+ tire. Figure that in with lower lifespan since its staggered set up and its going to get expensive. I'm working with GT money here and not GT500 money :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread