Newb Question on Stock 302

BleedBlueOval

Established Member
I've been saving up for a big build this summer. I'm redoing the entire suspension and brakes-- coil overs with 5 lug conversion. As I was getting advised by Livernois Motorsports about exhaust headers, he asked me, "Do you want to keep this engine?"

Do I want to put quality steel on this 302? Would you? I want to add long tubes, but will I be kicking myself down the road later for spending $1500 on exhaust on this engine?

I don't race, I cruise. I want to have a nice stance and a nice engine note. Of course I would like to be fast, but as he said, "all the new gens are at 400HP-- stock."

Down the road (perhaps in 2-3 years) I would like to be at those numbers, but what should I do in regards to the motor?

BleedBlueOval

Established Member
Since I am swapping axles, if I gear the car now with the stock housing, will it fit in the new 8.8 when I upgrade to 31 splines? I'm told if I want to go to 31 splines, I have to swap the whole rear end out. As of now, I intend to just upgrade to 5 lug 28 spline axles.

BLKFOX

Established Member
^ what he said. Get a safe tune and you'll have a fun car if you go that route.

However, I just built a 331 (10.5:1) stock block car and am regretting not doing a different block or different engine all together. It's a fun car but I want more and I've only put 40 miles on it. At this point, I'm kind of nervous to put boost to it due to the limitations of the stock block.

Dig Race

Established Member
To do your 31 spline you just need a 31 spine center section and 31 spline axles. With the price of fox body parts there is no reason to spend $1500 on a full exhaust. Get some budget long tubes or get some shorties and x or h pipe, always worked good for me.

Users who are viewing this thread