Newb, Low Mileage 97 Cobra, Thoughts????

pinetopbilld

Established Member
Hello everbody, my first thread. Where do I start? I was raised and have always been a Ford guy, but this is the first Mustang I have owned. Driven several, but first ownership. I have searched and done tons of reading and know what I want the car to do, but not exactly sure how to get there. I need this car to wear several hats. Not going to be a daily driver, more of a weekend toy. (1) It is going to be a cruiser when I want to take my kids with me. (2) I need it to really handle backroad curves when I am by myself. (3) I want it to serve me for occasional HPDE open track events, it doesn't have to be totally modded out just fun to drive. Handling and reliability are more important to me than big power gains. I could stand a few bolt-ons as long as reliability is not sacrificed.

Here is what I am kind of hung up on, I was looking for a car to play with, but come across this car and couldn't pass it up. It is a 97 Cobra coupe with 19,000 miles on it. I bought it from an older guy, always garaged. I don't know if I should be modding this car or just leave it alone.

So I guess I am kind of asking two things (1) How do I get this car to be what I want I to be? (2) Or is the car too nice and I should just leave it alone?

pinetopbilld

Established Member
Sorry guys, I didn't know about the Open Track Racing section until after this thread so I reposted over there. Still have a couple of questions that should be appropriate here. I know the car is nice, but you only live once so I would like to do a few tasteful mods. That being said, where in the KY, TN, WV, VA, TN area can I get a good tune? Just want it to be smooth and crisp.

1989Gt.

Banned
If your just going to do bolt ons just pick up a programmer or handheld you wont need anything more then that

pinetopbilld

Established Member
I would kind of like to have a custom tune just for piece of mind and just to know that the car is doing everything right. Don't plan on spending a bunch of money on other mods so I don't care to pay for a custom tune and dyno, just don't know where to get it.

00_silvergt

Established Member
In my opinion, unless you plan on having it 10-20 years and it still have 25,000 miles. Go ahead and mod it the way you want it.

stangbanger856

Established Member
Cold air intake, cat back and custom tune. Should be godd for power and be abel to go back to stock in.an afternoon.

pinetopbilld

Established Member
00_silvergt, I have thought about it and you are right. I don't want it to just sit there, I want to drive it and enjoy it.

stangbanger856, Your suggested mods are about spot on for me as far as power goes. Only other thing I would consider would be a mid-pipe if they offer better sound and little more power. Also because I heard they were pretty easy to change as well.

Still looking for a good tuner if anyone knows one for this area.

svtcobralover

Established Member
My recommendation would be, 1.) Short throw shifter, 2.)Loweing Springs,3.) Full Length Sub Frame Connectors, 4.) And 4.10 or 4.30 gears and be done with it. This set up is nice and simple and can easily be returned to stock for future purposes, just keep the stock parts. It will make the car handle and respond better.

stangbanger856

Established Member
As far as tune goes I run a SCT custom burnt chip in mine. And yes a mid pipe will help as well but you will lose some low end TQ for top end HP. Gears I would keep a 3.73 to keep the revs down on the highway (because you mentioned you wanted a fun street car to take turns with not drag racing) But gears arnt something you can go back to stock in your driveway if you don't know what your doing.

pinetopbilld

Established Member
I forgot to mention that I have read the Sticky on Basic Mods several times. As a matter of fact I got an MGW shifter ordered for Christmas it just hasn't come in yet. Also I want to do some chassis stiffening and handling bits later, but I am going to use the money to do some HPDE events and get some seat time first.

I am definitely willing to give up a little torque for more power on top because that is what I love about these engines anyway is how they love to rev and sing.

Call me crazy, but I like the stock gears. I live at least thirty to forty minutes away from anything, so I like be able to lope along at 80mph. If 3.73's didn't raise my rpm's too much, but gave me a pretty good kick I would consider them. But everybody says 4.10's or nothing.

stangbanger856

Established Member
I forgot to mention that I have read the Sticky on Basic Mods several times. As a matter of fact I got an MGW shifter ordered for Christmas it just hasn't come in yet. Also I want to do some chassis stiffening and handling bits later, but I am going to use the money to do some HPDE events and get some seat time first.

I am definitely willing to give up a little torque for more power on top because that is what I love about these engines anyway is how they love to rev and sing.

Call me crazy, but I like the stock gears. I live at least thirty to forty minutes away from anything, so I like be able to lope along at 80mph. If 3.73's didn't raise my rpm's too much, but gave me a pretty good kick I would consider them. But everybody says 4.10's or nothing.

You more then likely have 3.27s in it now so some 3.73 will be fine. Deff get some subframe conectors and don't skimp on quality make sure they are full lengthand weld in. I would stay away from thru the floor conectirs if you wanted to go back to stock.

pinetopbilld

Established Member
I'm pretty sure they are 3.27's, the old guy that I got the car from never touched it. I am sure that some good subframe connectors will happen a little later.

How much for good 3.73's plus install?

amorrow

Established Member
(1) It is going to be a cruiser when I want to take my kids with me. (2) I need it to really handle backroad curves when I am by myself. (3) I want it to serve me for occasional HPDE open track events, it doesn't have to be totally modded out just fun to drive. Handling and reliability are more important to me than big power gains. I could stand a few bolt-ons as long as reliability is not sacrificed......So I guess I am kind of asking two things (1) How do I get this car to be what I want I to be? (2) Or is the car too nice and I should just leave it alone?

To answer your second question first, in my opinion your car is a fine for how you intend to use it. About the only car I wouldn't want to use what you mention would be a super low-mileage car literally still in the wrapper...like one with less than triple-digit mileage. For what it's worth, my 14K-mile '98 gets most of its mileage on the track, even though I still try to keep it in great shape and no one can tell it's tracked.

And what modifications to do to get the car what you want it to be? Well, sounds like you have similar goals to what I had when deciding how to modify mine...the only real exception being mine didn't have to be quite as practical since I never drove it as primary transport. So if you look at my sig you can see all the significant modifications I've done. What I recommend for car, based on what you've mentioned....

Engine: Leave it stock, stock enough as to not even consider a tune because I see no benefit. I think these engines are setup pretty nicely from the factory and their power band is great as-is for roadcourse racing, and no need to "stand a few bolt ons" when gains are minimal, no need to squeeze every bit of hp for what how you're using the car, and after all they cost money (sounds like you're on somewhat of a budget)...engine mods would be the last thing that got my money.

Suspension: This is where you want to allocate your bucks. Some fancy coil-over setup isn't necessary, but even basic kits are nice just for ride-height adjustability. Check out some place like Maximum Motorsports, and they'll help spec a system for any budget and advise on spring rates, etc. They also make nice caster/camber plates which is important. Easiest way to make these cars handle and be MUCH more fun is more spring, shocks to suit, and drop it. Subframe connectors are always a good modification as well...I don't have them because at first I didn't want anything welded to the car, but now I haven't made the move simply because I've run out of modification points in the class I run.

Drivetrain: Sounds like shifter is checked off, but ring and pinion would probably be second on my list of priorities next to the basic but decent suspension kit. FYI, I have fourth gear run out at most smaller area tracks with my 4:30, and maybe I'd recommend something taller, but anything numerically lower than 3:73 would be a waste. And I'd only worry about replacing or balancing your driveshaft if you notice vibration after the gear change.

Wheels/tires: Not a bad move - actually a really great purchase, imo - to buy a set of dedicated track wheels and rubber. Your main search will be for grip, so why run on street rubber if it's in the budget?

1989Gt.

Banned
I'm pretty sure they are 3.27's, the old guy that I got the car from never touched it. I am sure that some good subframe connectors will happen a little later.

How much for good 3.73's plus install?

Depends on where you go, I spent 400 on mine installed. The performance shop was having a gear special usually i see people spending 600+

Also as i stated before a dyno tune wont do anything for a few bolt ons. If you get a hand held tuner you can mess with it yourself its really not going to be worth the 400+ you spend on the dyno unless you wanna know the numbers...

pinetopbilld

Established Member
amorrow- Sounds like we did have some similar goals in mind. I have realized it is not a show piece and that I just want to have fun with it and drive it.

I don't drive mine for practical transport either. It is my toy. It's just that if on the weekends I want to take my kids bowling or out for pizza that I can do it, enjoy the drive, and not worry about the car breaking down.

With that being said, I agree with you as well on the engine. Stock is fine. Air filter because I need it and an exhaust for a little sound and fun.

Suspension, I like the simplicity of your thoughts. But after doing more searching and reading, the consensus leans toward learning how to drive the car stock first. Actually learning and feeling the cars weaknesses before I start fixing them. I have decided that I want to progress with the car. So I am going to drive some more, get some track time and then consider your suggestions then.

The 3.73's seem appealing, but I like loping along on the freeway at 80mph. What are 3.73 rpms like cruising at 80 MPH?

97 Nightmare

Established Member
I have driven my Cobra on 500 mile round trips with 4.30's with no issues. If you aren't planning to add forced induction, I heavily suggest that gear. It seemed like a lot to me at first but it's perfect for our motors. Just find a local guy that has 4.30 gears and get a ride. I think you would be happy. IMO a 3.73 gear isn't worth the dollar investment. I would say at least a 4.10 to actually notice a difference.

And you can actually find some great deals in the market on here for some mildly used suspension parts if you don't mind that. It's crazy how often people change their setups.

Hope that helped.

Cory

PatrickSVT

Established Member
My Cobra has 373s, at 80 im in the 2800 range, not bad at all.

For tuning in our area, id suggest Lee at Blankenship Tuning in Winchester. Hes a Ford guru in this area, he will be tuning mine this spring with only having a CAI and underdrive pullys. Tuning really wakes these cars up.

I bought mine with similar future plans as you have but got lucky because the guy I bought it from was into handling over speed so my car already had full subframe connectors, steeda springs, tokicko shocks, steeda shifter, exhaust and some new bushings. It is the tightest feeling Mustang me or my friends with SN95s have ever driven.

My cars goals are around 300whp, handle going to Putnam Park in Indiana on occasion and being fun on the weekends while being able to put a ricer in his place if need be. :burnout:

Good luck with your car, you wont be disappointed!

Users who are viewing this thread