New York State inspection help!?

chrisroy

Established Member
My car won't pass nys inspection with this new system in place. The computer can now read if things have been turned off. I have the rear o2s turned off in my tune and egr turned off because on an egr delete. Anyone having the same issues? Any solutions yet?

CobRoush-00

Established Member
I didn't pass either. I spoke to my tuner and he said almost evryone is having this issue since NYS change their software. Solution is to put to stock tune back on the car, then go get it inspected. After inspection, re-install the performance tune. I have appointment this Thursday with him. I will let you know how it goes.

chrisroy

Established Member
I didn't pass either. I spoke to my tuner and he said almost evryone is having this issue since NYS change their software. Solution is to put to stock tune back on the car, then go get it inspected. After inspection, re-install the performance tune. I have appointment this Thursday with him. I will let you know how it goes.
I put my stock tune back on and the check engine light came on right away, throwing quite a few codes. Don lasota did up a new tune for me today with the rear o2s on now, I have o2s in place now with mils. He also put the egr on back on in the tune as well which I didn't want him to do but the check engine has not come on yet...so we will see

D2Fresh16

Established Member
Hey guys. A friend of mine is a NYS inspector and apparently the monitors can not be set "off", they have to be on and ready. Depending on the year of your car, you can have 1 to 2 monitors not set however. I know with my car you really have to jump through hoops to get it to pass, all of my monitors are on and eventually set.

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
For the o2 sensors, turn them back on in your tune and make a set of MIL Eliminators and put them in (like $5 in Radio Shack parts, and like half hour install time, need a soldering iron) and you will be good to go, I've passed like that, turning them off won't work here either.

Sorry can't help with the EGR stuff though.

SVTCruz

Established Member
I didn't pass either. Apparently the guys over at Mustang Magic have found away around this with their tune.

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
Wow this sucks to hear, my inspection is up this month and I have rear o2's and egr off also. If anyone finds a solution please post it up.

03Steve

Established Member
Yep, we've been dealing with the same process here in STL since 2007 or so. Search my posts!

zPipes

Established Member
I hope they never bring inspections down here. I think its ridiculous anyhow.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Last edited:

bluebosss197

im did asbestos i can
Established Member
Hey guys. A friend of mine is a NYS inspector and apparently the monitors can not be set "off", they have to be on and ready. Depending on the year of your car, you can have 1 to 2 monitors not set however. I know with my car you really have to jump through hoops to get it to pass, all of my monitors are on and eventually set.
Why didn't you buy him beer or pay him to turn a blind eye?

bluebosss197

im did asbestos i can
Established Member
Computers dont drink beer or have eyes
Really? I could have sworn computers were living, breathing creatures.

Unless the vehicle immediately reports to a central state server that it is currently being tested(once plugged in), I think human input can see to it that his vehicle has been "tested".

Last edited:

Saleen405

Established Member
Going through the same thing now. My registration just expired as well as my inspection and I can't register it again until I get it inspected. I just got off the phone with my tuner to send me a revision with the rear O2's and EGR on, and another with just the O2's on just in case it can pass with 1 monitor off. If you don't want to buy MIL eliminators, try this:

http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-...fouler-eliminate-check-engine-light-pics.html

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member

Unless the vehicle immediately reports to a central state server that it is currently being tested(once plugged in), I think human input can see to it that his vehicle has been "tested".

They actually cant do anything about. It is a huge pain in the ass and an even huger fine. Not much the operator can do.

RustyRodder

Fauxbra powered
Established Member

Its all done via internet now, and the computer has to read that all monitors are good in order to print the sticker. only way the 'have a beer' works is pre-OBD II for visual inspection.

96-00 can have 2 monitors not-ready (turned off), 01+ can have 1 not ready/turned off.

It seems a lot of the problems in NY right now arent the tunes, but with a tune the system cant read the monitors. I know that Pete at Performance Dyno has a system that will make all the monitors appear up (which is how the manufacturer can get them inspected off the lot w/ no miles), not sure on anyone else. Local guy didnt have a problem with his Bama tune either.

Users who are viewing this thread