New XCal3 owner... few questions.

spytek

Established Member
Well, i finally got around to putting on all the parts i had stock piled in the garage, 2.76 upper with 4 idlers, JLTcai, Afco Heat exchanger, NGK TR6IX plugs, XCAL 3 with tune from Rick at Amazon, etc. Anyway, is there anyway to tell which tune is loaded into the car? When i loaded the tune from Amazon it showed that it uploaded 100% then it said "error cannot open file". I tried to load the stock tune back in but it says it doesnt recognize the vehicle. I called SCT and Amazon and am waiting for their replys, just wondering if any of you guys had any insight into this. Thanks

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
Well, I was told that some of the first batches of Xcal 3's had that problem. They would have problems during the upload and you would have to remove the tune and re-install it and it would usually work.

But I'm not sure about it saying it doesn't recognize the car. Have you totally removed it and plugged it back in a few times? I'm kind of just fishing here. :shrug:

spytek

Established Member
yea i let it sit overnight and went back out this morning to try it again but it still wouldnt recognize the vehicle when i tried to put the stock tune back in. For all i know the Amazon tune is in but i just wish there was a way i could know for sure, and if i try to reload the Amazon tune it says "error cannot open file". Im confused.

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
Hmmmm.....yeah, I'd definately try to get in touch with Rick and see what he says.

Sorry I'm not much help. :shrug:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Man you gotta get ahold of Rick or Linn! Don't worry they will take care of it.

sweet88gt

You really look at this??
Established Member
Go to the SCT web site and go to updates and downloads. On the section for XCAL3 there will be a firmware update for XCALs not reconizing the car. Follow the instructions and you should be good to go. I have just started with my XCAL3 and have been to SCT website a few times and ran into that firmware update.Hope this helps.

2001BlackSVT

You're First or Last
Established Member
Yeah they probably need to download the update for the X-cal3 before they email you the tune to make it work with that handheld. I know when I got my X-cal3, Greg at RET had to download a software update in order to make the program work with it.

spytek

Established Member
Go to the SCT web site and go to updates and downloads. On the section for XCAL3 there will be a firmware update for XCALs not reconizing the car. Follow the instructions and you should be good to go. I have just started with my XCAL3 and have been to SCT website a few times and ran into that firmware update.Hope this helps.

ill give this a shot. be back in abit to let you know if that was it or not. Thanks.

spytek

Established Member
well, i just got off the phone with Chris at SCTand they sent me a fix for the stock tune so i could get it to reload the stock tune into car. I also just spoke to Rick at Amazon and he is sending me a new tune so i can reload that one and try again. Wish me luck.

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
well, i just got off the phone with Chris at SCTand they sent me a fix for the stock tune so i could get it to reload the stock tune into car. I also just spoke to Rick at Amazon and he is sending me a new tune so i can reload that one and try again. Wish me luck.

Good luck! :beer:

spytek

Established Member
i think all is well, Rick emailed me my tune, i got it loaded in ok and the car seems to run really well. It goes on the dyno tomorrow for A/F check and some fine tuning, ill let you know how it does after that. Thanks everyone for their help and especially Rick and Linn at Amazon :)

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
i think all is well, Rick emailed me my tune, i got it loaded in ok and the car seems to run really well. It goes on the dyno tomorrow for A/F check and some fine tuning, ill let you know how it does after that. Thanks everyone for their help and especially Rick and Linn at Amazon :)

Congrats brother! What are your mods? Just wondering so we can compare. ;-)

spytek

Established Member
Actually, pretty similar to yours... 2.76 upper/idlers, JLT cai, MRT catted H, Borla Stingers, Afco heat exchanger and SCT X3. Other mods are BF irs brace, MM subframes, H&R race springs, MGW shifter, etc. I will post my dyno results tomorrow so we can compare.

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
Yep, I just saw your charts in the other thread. Very nice!

I wonder if I could pick up another 10hp and 20ft./lbs. with the MRT H. I'm planning on putting in my order for one in about a week. Although you do have stingers compared to my Steeda/Borlas. Not sure if that has something to do with it too. :shrug:

I wonder what everyones results have been with the MRT. Your losing two cats with it so surely it'll help some. I need to do a search.

Last edited:

03cobramanIII

Banned
Here you go...

i see in youre dyno sheeet they got boost chart ,and it the bottom it tells you hum,temp and all that good info, my old dyno sheets didnt have all that on it ? just a/f ratio

youre a/f ratio looks okay!
humity 10 % DAMM!

Last edited:

sct12

Established Member

What fine tuning? How does Rick get that info from the dyno run and is anything changed? I am thinking of going with an Amazon tune, as there are no tuners in this area.

Users who are viewing this thread