New wiring harness for Mach 460

Cornstang

Roll Tide Roll!
Established Member
How may of you have wanted to swap out your Mach 460 head unit for an aftermarket unit that plays MP3's. Well, in the past you would have had to basically rewire the car an use aftermarket amps for your speakers. I just ordered an Alpine CDA-9853 from Crutchfield and they offer a new harness that allows you to use all your factory amps/speakers without rewiring the car. They have a new RCA adapter that plugs into the factory amps. I will let ya'll know how the install and sound quality is once I put it in. Finally, a reasonable alternative to the non MP3 playing Mach 460.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Sooo what are you doing to replace the doulbe DIN slot?

I've thought about doing this many times but don't want to give up the 6 CD changer.

Cornstang

Roll Tide Roll!
Established Member
Well I just installed the new headunit. It was very easy with the wiring harness. No rewiring or splicing into factory wiring bundles. It sounds good but I still have some tweaking to do with the eq and x-over on the headunit. As far as the double din goes, I now have a storage slot above the headunit.
And for not having a 6 disc changer any more, who cares when you can put 150 songs on 1 CD.

Last edited:

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Cornstang, since you're retaining the mach 460 amps and speakers, understand there are factory crossovers still in place. If the Alpine allows this function, I'd set its crossover to the "off" setting and see how it sounds. When engaged, you will be "cascading" multiple crossovers, and could result in a loss of sound quality.

You'll still be able to tweak the EQ to your ears preference.

Just a thought, anyway.

03 DSG, I'm working on a project involving a custom dash kit for a single DIN conversion. I'll post some pics up when it's finished, hoping it comes out well.

Cornstang

Roll Tide Roll!
Established Member
alanw6 said:
Cornstang, since you're retaining the mach 460 amps and speakers, understand there are factory crossovers still in place. If the Alpine allows this function, I'd set its crossover to the "off" setting and see how it sounds. When engaged, you will be "cascading" multiple crossovers, and could result in a loss of sound quality.

You'll still be able to tweak the EQ to your ears preference.

Just a thought, anyway.

03 DSG, I'm working on a project involving a custom dash kit for a single DIN conversion. I'll post some pics up when it's finished, hoping it comes out well.

Nice thought. I will try that out.

Users who are viewing this thread