New winter build. Thoughts?

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
Ok guys after having the car for a few years now I am planning to take another step up. I didnt get to enjoy my car this summer as my rear diff is leaking so bad I just put it away. This winter I will be doing a FRPP cover, new bushings, H&R race springs, and MM CC plates. I will also be doing the MM clutch quadrant and adjuster.

The second part of my build is where I am looking for opinions. I plan on going return fuel system, with the potential to grow in to, and run a ported blower on e85. I am looking to run a fore level 1 return with dual 267 pumps (the walbro 465s), 80 lb injectors. I also be adding a 4b lower, 170 t stat, and lethals even flow head kit.

Now my questions are, Is an alternator pulley necessary? I was going to get the 3.2 I think it is? Also I have a K&N intake, I was thinking of getting a JLT high boost intake. Would that be the best one to get or is there one that would work better with my set up? Also was planning on a 2600 sct maf, or would I want to go larger?

I want to set up the car so down the road if/when I get bored with an eaton I can slap a tvs on the car. So is there anything you guys can recommend or would do differently? I already picked up the 80s, starting to keep an eye out for some good deals over the holidays.

Thanks in advance guys, lets hear what you have to say!

ctgreddy

Established Member
for a ported eaton/e85 combo you dont need to do any of that fuel stuff, gt pumps/bap and the injectors will be plenty. But if you want to upgrade it all now I cant say I blame you lol. As for pulleys if you do a 4lb lower you'd atleast want a 3.2 alt, if not a 3.5 just to help slow down the alt speed a little more.

Also for the intake I'd choose the jlt nexgen cai over the highboost. IMO it wont hold you back power wise just will be much easier for whoever has to tune it later.

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
Ok thanks. Yes I am doing the fuel system now to have it done. By the time I were to do gt pumps and a bap and whatnot it is not too much more to go return and be able to handle whatever I want to throw at it. I will make sure I get an alt pulley. As for the intake I dont really know the difference between the two. What makes them different? Is it worth switching over my k&n I have now?

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
The JLT RAI is the golden standard and it keeps the filter under the hood. The high boost bends to the right and places the filter into the passenger inner fender.

Does your K&N just bolt to the front of the MAF and retain the tube between MAF and T-body?
There is minimal gain in this area but if you are looking to upgrade at some point keep the JLT RAI on the top of your list.

3.2 alt pulley is what most recommend. I have a 3.2 on my 4 lb set-up but sometimes think I should have gone with the 3.5 for that extra piece of mind especially when flogging on the car.

SV

jk_aktion

Established Member
the h&r race springs won't allow that much of weight transfer for traction if you're looking to roll out from a dig or even a 20-40 roll. when i was stock with just exhaust i'd spin to mid-top of 3rd from a 30 roll with 3.55 gears. ...slow shifting. of course i was on nt05, i know that's a factor in itself but i had stock power.

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
Yea I just have the fipk the its basically the box and filter. It looks very similar to the ram air intake jlt sells. Also side note I forgot to ask about, what about throttle bodies? Worth switching on a port set up? I was just gonna get my stocker and the plenum port matched with my blower.

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
the h&r race springs won't allow that much of weight transfer for traction if you're looking to roll out from a dig or even a 20-40 roll. when i was stock with just exhaust i'd spin to mid-top of 3rd from a 30 roll with 3.55 gears. ...slow shifting. of course i was on nt05, i know that's a factor in itself but i had stock power.

That is very strange many people I read about love their race springs. My car doesnt spin near that bad now I dont know how these people spin in third with just a pulley let alone stock. Maybe we actually have decent roads here. My car has never spun in 3rd gear I dont think. It was about 50 out today and all it does is chirp second.

jk_aktion

Established Member
That is very strange many people I read about love their race springs. My car doesnt spin near that bad now I dont know how these people spin in third with just a pulley let alone stock. Maybe we actually have decent roads here. My car has never spun in 3rd gear I dont think. It was about 50 out today and all it does is chirp second.

fl has awesome roads, i just know my ride is really stiff.

Last edited:

Woody6799

Established Member
I agree with the JLT next gen intake. It has been proven repeatedly to be the best intake for these cars and consistently creates the most power. As far as your fuel system it all depends on how much power you are looking to make in the future. I know that my ultimate goal is 700's on a 2.3 with e85 so I chose not to go full return. I will be running a dual fpdm with e85 pumps, 80# injectors, Div X hat, and -8 line to the rails. That set up should be good up to the 800's and substantially cheaper than a full return. Just something to look into if you know where you want the limit to be.

Lastly, there is a very big debate on lowers. After I did all the research I decided not to do a lower. I figure once I go TS I wont need that little extra power/tq it creates with the all the risk associated with it. I am running a 170 tstat though and I love it. As far as your alternator pulley that depends on the pulley size of your TVS. You need to figure out the RPMs it is supposed to be spinning vs where you are going to spin in at to determine if you are overspinning the alternator and burning it out... I am going to say get the 3.2 though

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
Probably going to go with the 3.2 alt pulley. As for fuel system I am set on return. By the time you buy a second fpdm and a bap along with pumps and a hat you can basically buy a return set up. Thats why I am going that route from the start. To each his own I suppose. So concensus is the next gen over the high boost intake? I spoke with my tuner and he said he can tune the high boost no problem. Also he said I can run the sct 3000, which will give me room to grow in to.

Last edited:

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
Also ctgreddy, how did you like the johnny port? Pretty sure I will be having him do my port as I hear Stieg is a douche.

testorossa1989

Established Member
Those are all very good idea's and a great place to start. If you're looking for a build that you can expand on later with a TVS you are going to want to do it right. Many members, tuners will advise that 80lb may cut it but larger injectors are preferred. Also, just my personal .02cents i would stay away from touching the lower crank pulley. Its undeniable that the gains are good and favorable toward less slip, but the damage that comes from them makes it not worth it. I would say address the fuel system so you only have to do it once and just go with a ported blower and leave the crank alone. You could possibly even consider running a ported setup with some mild cams and get some awesome results while keeping everything simple. You may also want to consider a bigger MAF. Im not sure which size is the one below slot-style. A lot of stories about MAFs pegging on dynos, so just go big the first time. The road to E85 is not cheap but well worth its weight in gold

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
Right thanks for the input. I already have my 80s and a 4lb lower. I dont mind replacing injectors again down the road I just dont want to be doing the pumps twice. As far as the 4lb, I have seen where many guys have said they have no problems with them. I heard rumors back in the day it caused an issue with the cranks, but I hear that is very rare. Or are you referring to other problems? As far as intake and maf, I spoke with my tuner, he said do the jlt high boost and the sct3000. He said he will have no problem tuning the high boost, and then if I decide to go bigger I wont have to replace things again. As you can tell Im a big fan of do it once do it right.

Users who are viewing this thread