New Whipple 2.9 on 2012 : mild surging @ low RPMs

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
How did the new tune work out? Hopefully drive ability improved and I bet the car picked up a good amount of power :).

fishpick

Established Member
How did the new tune work out? Hopefully drive ability improved and I bet the car picked up a good amount of power :).
I was waiting for this question... Got the tune, installed it, it rained, then it was my wife's birthday, etc etc... TODAY the FedEx guy should be here with the IAT relocation sensor to move that from the MAF to the post boost manifold - and the tune they sent me EXPECTS that... so have kinda been waiting to get that last part in place before I rock and roll... but you guys WILL get an update today on the new tune - for sure! (sorry - life got in the way)!

fishpick

Established Member
OK - @Riddick made me do it...

I looked up FedEx - and (because, as my wife says, I live life like LD in Curb Your Enthusiasm) - my package with the IAT sensor seems to have "stopped moving" - I said screw it. It's 52F out, I'm not going to push it and will keep the carr cool, but I HAVE to try out the revised tune even w/o the IAT sensor - because I need to know!

RESULTS : WTF!

WOW - @Paul. no joke.

Started up and boy was it pissy... likely some on TB positioning data left on the TB chip itself from the screw up I had - so I expected bad things to come... it idled high and just at idle it was searching for a home from 800 - 1200, up and down... I kept telling myself - this is gonna be bad... then after 30 seconds or so it seemed to settle a bit - so I took it down the 1/2 mile driveway at just about idle of 1000RPMs...

Here's the first test, that gentle acceleration around a turn from gravel to asphalt.
FIRST TUNE (my screwed up one that was all my fault) : would feel like I was feathering the throttle in and out. It was here my wife asked me "why are you doing that" and then later "this car needs a tuneup".
THIS "TRUE" Stage 3 TUNE : drove completely stock around the corner. Smooth. No surge at all.

I smiled and was like - ok - that's a really good sign...

Next - gentle acceleration from 20 - 50mph...
FIRST TUNE (my screwed up one that was all my fault) : would go to about 2000RPM, then a big time flat spot - surge - then shift... kinda like driving with learning teenager.
THIS "TRUE" Stage 3 TUNE : smooth acceleration curve and shifting. I'd say the auto is "better" than stock - but maybe not as "crisp" or tight feeling as the VMP tune I had before. BUT - this wasn't a transmission upgrade... AND - where the F did all this power come from? Like - WOW. AND - AND - this whistle... OMG - I wanted a twin screw for that sound - and - there it is now! And mind you - this was "gentle" acceleration - never above 3500 RPM.

Came to a corner - stopped. Idle at 900 mabe - steady - no surge. Went around corner - no surge - smooth as stock. Got on it (up to 3500 but more of a stab than a gentle acceleration) - woziers - there's torque here like there NEVER was before. And that whine. Glad I didn't have to stand up :cool:

Granny drove it as I saw the cylinder head temps moving up a little and - again - no IAT sensor so - ZERO desire at this point to detonate it - back home and now sitting like a little kid on Christmas looking out the window waiting to see if the tracking data is old and if Mr FedEx is gonna come rattling up the driveway today!!!

MORAL OF THIS THREAD
When working with folks remotely on technical stuff - don't omit any details - be very clear and never assume anything. I did and it made my initial experience "ho hum, this is a super charged mustang, ehh, not as impressive as I thought and driveability sucks"... now, in one short test drive - I'm all "holy crap - this is more amazing that I ever expected - WOW - what a difference over stock!"

I will totally update my build thread once the IAT relocation is done and I get to drive it more than a partial lap around a cool block... but - my first impressions (for real this time) are - DAHUM this thing is all monster now and totally driveable!

Reaper14

Established Member
Dumb question from a newb here. I was just wondering why is it bad to have after market headers on when running a whipple 2.9? I was looking to go this direction as well, but Im assuming Im screwed since I already did the long tubes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

fishpick

Established Member
why is it bad to have after market headers on when running a whipple 2.9?
It's not bad at all...
However the Whipple provided tune does not account for them - and they won't provide a tune for them...
So buy the tuner kit and get a tune for it - and you are good to go.
That's all - just simply not out of the box support.

fishpick

Established Member
I hope my ngauge was a good choice too
You will want to use a tuner then that support nGauge... since you will need to buy a tune with those headers anyhow.
There's kinda 2 camps for tuners - nGauge (and Lund is a "special flavor" of firmware on an nGauge) and SCT... just ask when you are exploring tuners - that's all!

Reaper14

Established Member
Well around here I have 0 tuner shops so I went with the ngauge from what I had heard from other guys around here. I felt a slight difference but not much. I added the lontubes & o/r h pipe & asked if I needed a retune but I was told I was fine.

fishpick

Established Member
added the lontubes & o/r h pipe & asked if I needed a retune but I was told I was fine.
I'm not a LT expert - but I'd go start a new thread and ask the question about needing a new tune w/ LT's.

Everyone I know - when talking bolt ons - got a new tune for a CAI and / or LT's on a N/A car...

Reaper14

Established Member
I'm not a LT expert - but I'd go start a new thread and ask the question about needing a new tune w/ LT's.

Everyone I know - when talking bolt ons - got a new tune for a CAI and / or LT's on a N/A car...
That's what I figured. Only reason I dont have a cai is because I want to boost by this time next year. I looked for a used one with no luck. Thanks again

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Super happy for ya. Quit driving it like a grandpa and go give it hell. Your iat will be fine, it's beautiful out..... . Congrats on having it 99 percent done and better yet........ Driveable

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

fishpick

Established Member
Apparently FedEx sucks - again - IAT part is not here and not coming. They "don't know when"... how can a package delivery company not know!?!

Anyhow - took the blower and car out to pick up sushi for dinner tonight - wife was in the car too - gently drove w/o that temp sensor... wow! So nice!
Wife said "you can hear the whine now!", then "wow, this seems like a new car", and finally "this is great, it's so smooth and I love the sound"... and this was never hitting it harder than 3500...

Whipple for the win!

Dreams2Reality

Established Member
Apparently FedEx sucks - again - IAT part is not here and not coming. They "don't know when"... how can a package delivery company not know!?!

Anyhow - took the blower and car out to pick up sushi for dinner tonight - wife was in the car too - gently drove w/o that temp sensor... wow! So nice!
Wife said "you can hear the whine now!", then "wow, this seems like a new car", and finally "this is great, it's so smooth and I love the sound"... and this was never hitting it harder than 3500...

Whipple for the win!

That's great! Congrats!
Hopefully FedEx comes through this week.

Users who are viewing this thread