new wheels on the way. Do you wax on or wax off?

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
I have waited patiently for 4 months and I got word today the wheels are on the way. They are powder coated so I am wondering if I should buy some wheel wax or just use some of the other products I already have like sealants and other carnauba type waxes. Do you use a dedicated wheel wax, normal auto wax or let her go all natural?

I am probably going to order wheel wax to try out, but if regular sealants and carnuba wax will do maybe I will save the cash for something else.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Since they are powder coated, you should be fine as is IMO. Mine are powder coated and it's so nice how easy they are to wipe clean compared to raw aluminum...

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
I am in the process of coating mine. Seems to be the way to go...durability of at least a year. Very easy to apply and the upkeep/maintenance is great!

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
good call on the coating. I am going to order some in just a minute. How are your wheels holding up since you coated them back in November? Is it just rinse off type maintenance after you coat them to get the brake dust off or do you have to wash them like a non coated wheel?

inyadreems

Established Member
good call on the coating. I am going to order some in just a minute. How are your wheels holding up since you coated them back in November? Is it just rinse off type maintenance after you coat them to get the brake dust off or do you have to wash them like a non coated wheel?

Even with just a sealant on my wheels the dirt comes right off with soap and water, but yes I foam them up lightly agitate rinse and then dry.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
Here you go RC. I know you can appreciate this. I ordered these wheels on December 19, 2014. They had problems with one of the rear 18x11 and had to remake it. Anyway long story short they arrived today and the rear wheel was damaged in transit. I filed a claim with UPS and not it is back to waiting again. This is normal luck for me though, so I was not surprised. Pissed off , but not surprised.

#1 front wheel- undamaged
IMG_1796.jpg

#2 rear wheel-damaged
IMG_1797.jpg

#3 close up view of damage to rear wheel
IMG_1802.jpg

#4 undamaged rear wheel test fitted (still on jack stands)
IMG_1803.jpg

#5 undamaged front wheel test fitted (still on jack stands)
IMG_1804.jpg

I sure hope I can get a new wheel shipped out quick. The thought of waiting for another 4 months will really bring the redneck out in me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread