New way of commuting?

SVTcobra2

Established Member
I know most of you are with me when you about have a heart attack every time you fill up. Im a college student and im currently driving a 2007 mustang gt. Luckily i have been going to the school 2 miles away, but soon i will have to commute about 20-25min to school and then back every day and then go to work. Gas is really starting to hurt...its not that i cant afford to fill it up, its just how much and how often i have to fill it up.

I was thinking if it gets any worse i might look into getting a bike. I have ridden motocross for several years, so i have a fairly general idea of how a bike goes although i know i must adapt to the street. I have only ridden a gsxr600 once, so i have little street experience. I was thinking about a 600SS bike, but now im thinking over getting like a 500 to keep insurance and bike costs down. Im not looking to do it to "save" money, but it will cost less for gas while having something fun to do. I dont want to get just some DD car, that ruins the fun factor and makes it useless.

I dont want to get rid of the stang...actually dont think i could if i wanted to. I wish i could just open the fuel door and :fart: to be good to go.

JasonFC

Somethings different
Established Member
BUELL!! Lightning XB9S.. or the XB12S...

121202top.jpg

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
oh shit, here we go . . .

i'd say get a 500 but if you're gona commute that much get an OLDER (5+ years older) 600 or get a SV650/CBR F4i, a new supersort 600+cc bike should be LAST on your list. Motocross is absolutley NOTHING like a street bike so just toss that out the window and forget you even know how to ride on dirt.

*waits for squids/posers to post on how they're/their friend/someone they know is doing just fine onna busa*

remember you're NOT usually the exception, so go with the statistics and the odds.

have fun!

darkhorse276

Established Member
oh shit, here we go . . .

i'd say get a 500 but if you're gona commute that much get an OLDER (5+ years older) 600 or get a SV650/CBR F4i, a new supersort 600+cc bike should be LAST on your list. Motocross is absolutley NOTHING like a street bike so just toss that out the window and forget you even know how to ride on dirt.

*waits for squids/posers to post on how they're/their friend/someone they know is doing just fine onna busa*

remember you're NOT usually the exception, so go with the statistics and the odds.

have fun!

Squid time!! My best friend rode dirt for years and when he got on a 600 he was just fine. He's not the brightest apple in the bunch either, mind you. I mean a motorcycle is a motorcycle no matter how you look at it, so you can't say that it's nothing like riding on the street. I'm certainly not saying it's the same, but I am saying that it depends on the person, so I really don't think anyone here should be telling anyone else what they can or can't ride. (That said, no one should jump on the aforementioned busa)

SVTcobra2

Established Member
my options are open right now. ive been around motorcycles for years and have ridden a gsxr600, so i know they are fast. i know i dont have almost any street experience and dirt doesnt help much, but if i get one so be it. im not saying ill get a 600, but its not off my list either.

SVTcobra2

Established Member
i wont get a vespa....that wouldnt be fun after a short time. im somewhat looking at the suzuki gs500f....its pretty cheap and looks decent. anyone have experience with them?

nodaksvt

ehhh?
Established Member
you and me are in the same boat man. im lookin at gettin a bike when i get home. nothing smaller than a 600cc tho. i rode MX for a few years and had few days on a kawasaki 636 ninja and was very comfortable on that.
id like to get a streetfigher type; buell lightning, triumph speed six..something along those lines. i believe that a 500 would get boring fast. good to learn on, but thats it. im not going to anything huge because i dont need to go fast. something fun and better on gas. no crotch rockers here.

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
look at the 08 ninja 250's, they are good looking bikes. you can pick up and older one 04-07 for under 3 grand. but you really need to do math, compare fuel costs and insurance between the two, then divide the miles driven by each cost and it will give you a rough cost per mile. is it a big enough difference to warrant the purchase? Also, bikes have alot of maint, and if you dont have the correct tools it isnt cheap maint either.

SVTcobra2

Established Member
look at the 08 ninja 250's, they are good looking bikes. you can pick up and older one 04-07 for under 3 grand. but you really need to do math, compare fuel costs and insurance between the two, then divide the miles driven by each cost and it will give you a rough cost per mile. is it a big enough difference to warrant the purchase? Also, bikes have alot of maint, and if you dont have the correct tools it isnt cheap maint either.

i understand i might not be SAVING money, but i see it as it would be fun to have a bike that gets better gas mileage than the car. plus the mileage would stay a little lower on the car. also, in georgia i could probably ride it about 85% of the year.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Another squid here! Bought my first bike with no previous bike experience last summer and never have regretted it. Love to ride and helps nice when my other form of trasportation get 13mpg on a good day. I currently commute about 40 miles round trip a day and ride every day I have the opportunity. So much more pleasent. I know in my sig it shows Im selling the bike and hate to let it go but am drastically trying to quit blowing money on renting and buy a house..... All the best to ya. The 600 I have only runs me $40/mo primarly cuz its a 599cc motor which puts it "below" the 600 mark so consider that as well...oh and buy Honda....You wont regret it!

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
being that you live in GA, that'll work. i was trying to think of something becuase my work truck is awful on gas and a bike was a maybe, but the winter?

so im looking for a civic or something under $4K, but if i cant find anything i may get a bike.

Users who are viewing this thread