New Vortech SQ for my 95

Lee

Established Member
Well, I did it. I finally pulled the trigger on this. I've been wanting to have more hp than the standard Maxima for a long time. My 95 ran 221 hp stock, and now I'm hoping it'll run 321+ when we're done. I'll take the car into Performance Autosport on Thursday, when the parts arrive, and let the pros do their magic with installation and tuning. I like the car enough to keep it for the forseable future, so I'll up the "excitement" level. I just hope I can keep my license while doing it. :pepper: :banana:

Lee

Established Member
This is a 95 with the "old" 5.0 motor. I'm showing my ignorance here because I'm not sure what "tools" he'll use to tune the electronics. I do know that he'll custom burn a chip to support the new 42 lb injectors and MAF changes, along with any fuel curve changes that are necessary.

Lee

Established Member
helluvasnake said:
Congrats Lee!!! I thought you were going to go with the KB though? Good to see you joined the band wagon of blowers too!

Hello "helluvasnake"! Yes, I was going to go with the KB. The only thing that changed my mind was that I decided to let a local performance shop do the whole thing; parts, installation, tuning, chip burning, etc. And this shop has experience with Vortech, they like the Vortech, and they've not done any work with the KB product. If I'd installed it myself it would have been the KB. If the shop had been more open to installing and turning a KB I would have gone with the KB.

I'm eager to hear how your install goes, and the results. I hope to be able to tell you my numbers week after next. :burnout:

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
headbang.gif
<wOOt>
headbang.gif

helluvasnake

Established Member
Lee said:
Hello "helluvasnake"! Yes, I was going to go with the KB. The only thing that changed my mind was that I decided to let a local performance shop do the whole thing; parts, installation, tuning, chip burning, etc. And this shop has experience with Vortech, they like the Vortech, and they've not done any work with the KB product. If I'd installed it myself it would have been the KB. If the shop had been more open to installing and turning a KB I would have gone with the KB.

I'm eager to hear how your install goes, and the results. I hope to be able to tell you my numbers week after next. :burnout:
Yeah, Getting the shop to do the install, tune, etc would be alot easier. I'm eager to see what your car puts out. Mine will take a little longer as I am installing afr 165 heads and a cam in there before the KB. Money is getting short. :(

Lee

Established Member
You're going to generate some serious HP with all that work!! And monster torque!! The only thing I might do after the SC is add headers, H-pipe, and rear control arms.

cobra46

Banned
you'll be glad you got the sq version. i bought the v-1 s trim for my 5.0 and it is the most annoying loud blower ive ever heard.

baja-chris

Established Member
I'm real happy with 3.55's on my stock motor 94 Cobra vert.
For a daily driver, I think 1st gear is too low to run 3.73's but
that's just me.

While re-gearing, I also replaced the Slop-Lock with an Eaton posi.
The Eaton is superb.

Long live the 5.0 Cobras.

Lee

Established Member
I dropped her off at the shop last night... Miss her already... The mechanic made the comment that I was pushing over the first "domino".... One mod begets another, and another... Hope to have her back in a week making some respectable numbers.

Lee

Established Member
I still don't have her back yet. I'm starting to get a bit impatient. I'm like a kid a Christmas. It'll be 3 weeks tomorrow that the car has been in the shop. I've dropped by every couple of days and there has been steady progress, but they get a lot of "walk ins" that interrupt their work. I talked with the mechanic yesterday and he expects to have everthing installed by today and tuning will start tomorrow. Hopefully this means I'll have her back this week. My right foot needs a fix!

Users who are viewing this thread