New Tuner, Hitting RPM Limiter, Track Times.

Gene K

Established Member
I have been having trouble with my combo. One of the highly regarded Tuners cant seem to get it to stop hitting the Limiter (or at least thats my opinion of the issue). Ive sent logs. Im waiting on the 4th Tune. I have data logged both dyno and street pulls. The last tunes were worse.

2014 Mustang GT
6R80 Trans / Stock Converter
Roush 2.3L TVS
82mm Pulley
Lethal ORH Pipe
GT500 AB
Boss 302 Harmonic Balancer w/ ARP Bolt
790 rpm Street Tires

My belief is its hitting the rpm limiter. Currently its set at 7100 rpm and data logging shows 7100 rpm + (1-2), 7100 rpm + (2-3), and 7200 rpm + (3-4) on the Street Tune. It is closing the throttle least on the 1-2 shift and most on the 3-4 shift. On one occasion it actually rode the limiter for 3 to 4 cycles (felt like two-step) on the 3-4 shift. All of this is reduced on the Track Tune which has firmer shifts (less flare). Sometimes on the track tune I get a clean shift on 1-2 and less often on 2-3 shift. Never on the 3-4 shift.

Im am suspicious that the Tuner reset the tire rpm for the speedometer but forgot to reset the shift speed. This would result in a 229 rpm higher shift point. Seems unlikely that he would miss this three times in a row but I suggested it in my latest email anyway. I also suggested he just raise the limiter to 7400 rpm.

At what point do you walk away from a Tuner and cut your losses? Any opinions on Joe at Dynospeed Memphis TN as an option. I know he was very good with the older cars. Im not sure about Coyotes and 6R80 tuning. Im just about ready to buy HP Tuners and go it alone!

At least the car went 1.8 / 4.8 / 7.3 @ 99 / 11.3 @ 124 in 80 degrees while spinning all the way through 1st and hitting the limiter three times (with the usual delayed throttle opening in next gear) so maybe the power is there for when I put tires on it (If I can get it to shift).

PS Just had to vent my frustration.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
" Ive sent logs. Im waiting on the 4th Tune. I have data logged both dyno and street pulls. The last tunes were worse. "
Don't you have a shop you can take your car to ??

Gene K

Established Member
If it was a FAST I could get Alan Dudley to tune it. If it was a GT500, Lightning or Cobra any number of local guys can handle it. But local guys with the knowledge of where the cams need to be set at various boost levels and the table dependencies in a Coyote are apparently rare. Im somewhat hesitant to allow someone to "learn" about boost and Coyotes on my car.

Dynospeed is 185 miles away and about the best option Ive come up with semi-locally for a Dyno Tune.

Anyone know anything about Speedsouth in Birmingham?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread