manley rods
diamond 9cc dish pistons
03 cobra cams
98 cobra intake
03 cobra exhaust manifolds
Procharger D1SC 3.4 inch pulley
SLP catted X pipe
Tuning by Dave at SGS

Initial tune with nasty plastic procharger blower inlet pipe and small air filter plus stock ford catback. 489 hp/439 tq 17-18 psi boost Air filter was flattened. 23 degrees of timing

Changed to homemade 4 inch powerpipe and Pypes race pro catback. This time first pull was cut off at ~6000 rpm making 537 hp and climbing. Boost heading towards 20 psi. Dangerous situation with 93 octane. Cut the timing back to 20 degrees and got spark blow out. Gapped the plugs down from 0.032 to 0.024.

Final numbers 527 hp/463 tq with a nice safe tune for pump gas. 20 psi boost at 7000 rpm. Gains over the previous tune increase thru the entire powerband. Unfortunately raining the whole day and weekend, did not get to have much fun with it.

So as it turns out, it was good to get it tuned again. I had thought I heard some detonation after the powerpipe when running hard in 3rd and 4th (always let off at the first sign).
Reddyno_compare.jpg

Erich

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Thanks. I've been trying to figure out where I'll be with my 3.4" blower pulley and 12% overdrive ATI crank pulley.

Erich

Established Member
I heard the that a 3.2 pulley at 7000 rpm is the max you can spin a D1SC. You should be over 20psi in any event.
Erich

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm not looking for 20psi just yet. I'm shooting for 15psi for now. But I'm also running a bigger motor.

allgo90

Established Member
Erich, that graph looks great! i have a few questions since i plan on stepping up to a D1 pretty soon. Are you still running 6 rib and if so any problems with belt slip? What does your fuel system consist of?

Erich

Established Member
Thanks!
Yep still running a 6 rib. I have an 8 groove ATI dampner on there just in case I need to go to 8 rib but it has been really good as far as belt slip/breakage. The D1 has a much bigger pulley on it than I had on my old P600B. I think that helps with the slip and belt life stuff.
For a fuel system I have an intank walbro 255 and an external bosch 044. I just adapted the bosch to work with the stock lines. Injectors are 60#, Maf is PMAS with a 24/60# calibration. I really like that bosch, it is way quieter than my old procharger external pump plus it can deliver 300 lph at high backpressure.
Only thing missing right now is a better bypass. Getting lots of compressor surge from the supplied procharger one. Will likely go with the minirace one from vortech.
Erich

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
do it once and get the procharger race bypass.. sounds like quite the setup though.. congrats!!

Erich

Established Member
Thanks! Looks like you have an awesome car there-handling and power!
How do you like the mondo bypass? I want to get a bypass that I can direct the air somewhere to quiet it but still make sure there is no surge.
The stock procharger bypass is right next to the blower outlet. The guy who tuned the car said that was a bad location. Better was to move the bypass to right before the IC so the air gets smoothed out before the MAF.
Erich

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
thanks bud. well typicall you have a blow thru not a draw thru it sounds like ur draw thru right now. so what u'll want to do is put the maf on after the blower and the bypass before that.. i like the mondo all in all though. my big question is why are you only making 5xx on 20lbs!! you should be in the 650rwhp range with that boost.

Last edited:

Erich

Established Member
Yeah, I have a blow thru setup.
I also thought the power was low for that much boost. Here are a few more details-anything you can spot?
Only 20 degrees of total timing at the top. The first run at 23 degrees of timing was at 540 at about 6000 rpm and going up pretty sharply. Then with the amount of boost it was going to be making (on 93 octane) he stopped the run and backed off on the timing.
I don't have a good feel for if that is a normal amount of timing etc. Would I make more power with less boost and more timing?

The cams are 03 cobra which are supposed to be the same as the mach 1/marauder and maybe even mark VIII. So less aggressive there but 03 cobras make a ton of power with a pulley swap. I am assuming my cams were timed in correctly.

Running thru 03 cobra exhaust manifolds-I doubt this explains it but they are no long tubes. Could my cats be messed up? No codes anyway.

The heads had some work done on them and flow better than original.

Not sure what else. It is a pretty much stockish built 4V with alot of boost.
Erich

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
thanks bud. well typicall you have a blow thru not a draw thru it sounds like ur draw thru right now. so what u'll want to do is put the maf on after the blower and the bypass before that.. i like the mondo all in all though. my big question is why are you only making 5xx on 20lbs!! you should be in the 650rwhp range with that boost.

Just my observasion, low compression, early B heads from mark 8(not as good as 96-98 Cobra B heads), 03 Cobra cams in early B heads(20 degrees less duration that 96-98 Cobra cams) and stock exaust manifolds.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yeah, I have a blow thru setup.
I also thought the power was low for that much boost. Here are a few more details-anything you can spot?
Only 20 degrees of total timing at the top. The first run at 23 degrees of timing was at 540 at about 6000 rpm and going up pretty sharply. Then with the amount of boost it was going to be making (on 93 octane) he stopped the run and backed off on the timing.
I don't have a good feel for if that is a normal amount of timing etc. Would I make more power with less boost and more timing?

The cams are 03 cobra which are supposed to be the same as the mach 1/marauder and maybe even mark VIII. So less aggressive there but 03 cobras make a ton of power with a pulley swap. I am assuming my cams were timed in correctly.

Running thru 03 cobra exhaust manifolds-I doubt this explains it but they are no long tubes. Could my cats be messed up? No codes anyway.

The heads had some work done on them and flow better than original.

Not sure what else. It is a pretty much stockish built 4V with alot of boost.
Erich

Well everything looks good, I would obviously ditch the stock logs and go with LT's with atleast a 1-3/4'' primaries. Then a catless midpipe and a 3'' exhaust. what's your compression at?

Just my observasion, low compression, early B heads from mark 8(not as good as 96-98 Cobra B heads), 03 Cobra cams in early B heads(20 degrees less duration that 96-98 Cobra cams) and stock exaust manifolds.

Yea that's a good point right there, but still. I'm on a T-trim with a aftercooler not even intercooled and at 15psi i'm at 550rwhp and 477rwtq, and like 16-17* of timing. I have 04 heads and cams... hmm. interesting..

Erich

Established Member
Compression ratio is about 9.5:1
Here are a few shots of the heads before and after work. Do you see any differences in the area around the valves? It looks like a different shape now but maybe it is an illusion.
162.jpg

P4070542.jpg

Erich

Last edited:

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
Well everything looks good, I would obviously ditch the stock logs and go with LT's with atleast a 1-3/4'' primaries. Then a catless midpipe and a 3'' exhaust. what's your compression at?

Yea that's a good point right there, but still. I'm on a T-trim with a aftercooler not even intercooled and at 15psi i'm at 550rwhp and 477rwtq, and like 16-17* of timing. I have 04 heads and cams... hmm. interesting..

03/04 heads and 99/01 or mach intake is gonna net you a nice chunk of hp over a stock bhead setup, especially when you reach the upper rpm limit. Using the 03/04 cams vs the bhead cams will bring that back down 10-15hp.

20lbs of boost does seem like a lot with the 3.4" pulley, but boost is really just a measure of pressure in the engine (better flow will net you less PSI.) I bet with better heads, and at least a catless midpipe, the boost would drop a couple pounds, maybe around 15-16lbs and net some horsepower on the big half of the curve.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
SGS automotive is awesome. Who did your tuning? Dave?

Those guys tuned the procharger setup on my lincoln aviator longblock (it's not forged) and it still runs!!

Enjoy the new tune!

Homer

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I think your biggest attributing factor is the factory exhaust manifolds along with the B heads and 03 cams. That 20 degrees less duration could be worth 10-15hp n/a, but that # climbs when you add boost. Plus the early B heads from the Mark 8 are a tad different than the ones on 96-98 Cobras. They dont flow quite as well and the B heads need the most help on the exhaust side. Even when ported the B heads have trouble matching stock C heads on the exhaust side. So pair that with stock headers and you have a big flow restriction. At this point headers may net you a big chunk of hp and with them your boost may drop a little, allowing you to pulley back up to 20 psi.

Erich

Established Member
Yep, Dave did the tuning on both my cars. Great job. I trust his opinion and work and that means alot. He did tell me I should have gotten the 96-98 cams. He may not know about the exhaust. He told me to get a vortech minirace bypass to clear up my compressor surge. Did it and now it is gone and the lowspeed drivablility is improved for sure.

It would be interesting to change out just the exhaust manifolds and see what happens. I was shocked that the 03/04 outlets are smaller than my old 97 GT outlets! I had to make an adapter for my X pipe. Maybe I should have gotten even some cheap long tubes....Ah well, the car is running nice even though it is not hitting its potential. I drive it on the street everyday and it is a blast.
Erich

Users who are viewing this thread