New tune/numbers... but something broke.

SwampMoose

Established Member
Well, I installed a new fuel system last weekend(twin GT pumps/Fore hat/Zone 5 MDM) and went in for a tune today. I wanted a extra safe tune and got just that. Was only seeing 16.5lbs of boost at redline, only 17.5 degrees of timing and 11.5 a/f. Made 593/576 with the worn DR's spinning.

Dyno.jpg

The only problem is on the way home I got a engine light(DTC P0405, which is EGR circuit A low input). I popped the hood and can hear a grinding/rattling from the back of the whipple(Gen 1/2.3) sounds kinda like something broke in the inlet elbow... Took the blower belt off and cranked it and can't hear anything so I know it's coming from the blower. Any Ideas?

Fat-cat

Established Member
Not much in the back of the blower to brake. Could have chewed one of the rotor bearings but thats about all...unless you broke the tip off you MAF or IAT1 sensor and sucked it in not much could get down there. Pull the air intake off and make sure all your TB screws are there and that the sensors look good ... i had a buddies trubo car eat one of the TB blade screws and made a hell of a racket We found it impacted in the head and the chamber / piston where all ****ed.

Good number for the timing and boost.. but you should have leaned on that thing if its built :)

Last edited:

SwampMoose

Established Member
Not much in the back of the blower to brake. Could have chewed one of the rotor bearings but thats about all...unless you broke the tip off you MAF or IAT1 sensor and sucked it in not much could get down there. Pull the air intake off and make sure all your TB screws are there and that the sensors look good ... i had a buddies trubo car eat one of the TB blade screws and made a hell of a racket We found it impacted in the head and the chamber / piston where all ****ed.

Good number for the timing and boost.. but you should have leaned on that thing if its built :)

Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna take the intake and blower elbow off of the back tomorrow and see whats going on, the EGR DTC has me confused... The good thing is if something did break off I don't think it can make if past the intercooler.

I plan on leaning on it a lot more in the future. This was just a temp tune because I'll be moving to Arizona in a few months and it's a big change going from sea level to 4800ft DA.

VtekII

Established Member
sure you EGR vavle didnt break inside? i know my bros diesel truck (yes i know completely diff vehicle) gave the exact same code cause his egr was messed up.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
Was only seeing 16.5lbs of boost at redline, only 17.5 degrees of timing and 11.5 a/f. Made 593/576 with the worn DR's spinning.

Those are very impressive numbers for a whipple at 16 psi, 17 degrees, and 11.5 af WITH the the tires spinning. Granted Im sure its uncorrected. Personally I never seen a car under 1XXX spin on the dyno but each to theirs.

Last edited:

SwampMoose

Established Member
Those are very impressive numbers for a whipple at 16 psi, 17 degrees, and 11.5 af WITH the the tires spinning. Granted Im sure its uncorrected. Personally I never seen a car under 1XXX spin on the dyno but each to theirs.

I've seen hundreds of cars under 1XXX spin on the dyno, especially with bald DR's. In fact the car and dyno were about 300 RPM's off of each other. I'll have a comparison when I get my new tires in. The baby gen 1 whipple was losing bost on the top end, seen 17.8 at 4k but it dropped to 16.5 past 5700, which is why I said only seeing that at redline. I guess its pretty common for the whipples to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread