New transmission ideas

MachJoe

Established Member
I'm pretty sure my tr3650 is on its way out. It's making horrible exorcist like noises and will lock me out quite a bit. I'd like to stick with the 3650 since I have an aluminum driveshaft already, but I want to be able to use 5th gear. I hate having to bail after 4th, especially with 4.10s I top out rather quickly. What options are there? Does anyone make custom gear sets for the 3650, or is my best bet the T56?

SVT_Cobra_

Established Member
6 speed all the way. I really want to do the swap on mine. Get the aggressive takeoff with 4.10 gears but then you don't lose those long legs on the highway. Just my 2 cents..

MachJoe98

Make it Bacon
Established Member
I'm pretty sure my tr3650 is on its way out. It's making horrible exorcist like noises and will lock me out quite a bit. I'd like to stick with the 3650 since I have an aluminum driveshaft already, but I want to be able to use 5th gear. I hate having to bail after 4th, especially with 4.10s I top out rather quickly. What options are there? Does anyone make custom gear sets for the 3650, or is my best bet the T56?

I just went through this headache... Honestly the the obvious choice ended up being to just rebuild the 3650. I could not justify the price of spending 2k plus on a transmission swap especially if I'm never planning on being over 400whp

MachJoe

Established Member
I see that there is an optional .74 for 5th gear in the rebuild kit, but I'm not sure how annoying that would be for cruising. This is just a weekend warrior and the plans are built motor with a 150 shot so I really don't know what route to take. The T56 is pricey, but having a 6th gear is really appealing lol

B0B

Established Member
You can find a good deal on a t56 if you are patient. I got a t56 out of a cobra with the crossmember, 26 spline input shaft, aluminum drivshaft, and MGW shifter for $700. It is currently in my mach 1. I haven't started the car or driven it yet, but the guy I bought it from was local and I'd seen his car drive the week before I bought it from him

MachJoe

Established Member
You can find a good deal on a t56 if you are patient. I got a t56 out of a cobra with the crossmember, 26 spline input shaft, aluminum drivshaft, and MGW shifter for $700. It is currently in my mach 1. I haven't started the car or driven it yet, but the guy I bought it from was local and I'd seen his car drive the week before I bought it from him

Damn that's a steal. Looks like I'll be holding out till I come across one then. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread