New Track Car

OX1

Established Member
Been tracking my EVO8, but I'm really a Ford guy and taking the EVO to the "next" level, is costly and possibly a big issue going forward, as many parts for EVO's are no longer being produced.

Anyway. New ride. 21 CFTP GT500, 2400 miles. I really wanted the classic Shelby white with blue stripes (this one has the 10 grand painted stripe, which I think was insane money to original buyers, but should help value down the line).

20240313_142142.jpg

Major hassle to get on my trailer, thing is super low and my trailer is not.

20240313_142153.jpg

RAMPS.jpg

Trailer did not cooperate on trip home either. Effen Chinks strike again. These tires are rated 3500 lbs each, as trailer is 14K. Total weight was only 6200, including trailer.

Had one tire shift belts, and then another, the steel cords just starting "exiting" out the side (never seen that one before). I switched to the BFG Commercial LT's on my deck over (for my offroad toy). No issue since. Going to do that here also. They are rated a bit less, but I don't use full 14k anyway.

20240313_174733.jpg

20240313_203358.jpg

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

railroad

Established Member
I think Goodyear is about the only U.S. made trailer tire available.
I just spent $811 on a set of 4.
My regular tire guy, screwed me, last set of tires he will sell me.
He did not balance tires and told me they were balanced. Old weights still on the back of the rims. He normally mounts and balances tires he sells, for free.
He had already charged me $93 for mount and balance, before I found they were not balanced.
Sorry to get off subject, maybe some of the info will help.
My China tires started separating like they were recaps. They were over 5 years old, same tire man would not give me any adjustment on them.
All turned loose at the same age.

OX1

Established Member
Good looking car.

Please do not tie it down with the front tow hook again. That tow hook is designed to have integrity pulling horizontally and using all of the threads as leverage, strapping it like you have it, it's effectively pulling it down at a 30ish degree angle.

Buy these:

Thanks!! Deal came together pretty quick, didn't really have much time to get anything else going. Probably going to a track system on the trailer, as I have multiple cars that get towed around, and each have different requirements/placement, etc... I typically do prefer chassis tie-down, to tire toe-down though.

I did see that kit. I was a little concerned with hitting say a sand trap @ 110 off track, and those forward mounts digging into the ground (and this thing is already kind of a pig, track-weight wise, do I really want to add even a couple more lbs :) )

20240316_174300.jpg

OX1

Established Member
I think Goodyear is about the only U.S. made trailer tire available.
I just spent $811 on a set of 4.
My regular tire guy, screwed me, last set of tires he will sell me.
He did not balance tires and told me they were balanced. Old weights still on the back of the rims. He normally mounts and balances tires he sells, for free.
He had already charged me $93 for mount and balance, before I found they were not balanced.
Sorry to get off subject, maybe some of the info will help.
My China tires started separating like they were recaps. They were over 5 years old, same tire man would not give me any adjustment on them.
All turned loose at the same age.

I went to these on my deck over.

Typically about 9200 lbs total with setup below. IMO, even the best trailer tires are made to barely meet their requirements. The construction of LT tires is way overkill on their ratings (comparatively), and also designed for a steering axle, under power.
Many of the high end motorhome manufacturers have finally switch to LT's also.

These are made in US and speed rated to 106. Not that I want to tow @ 90, but I do typically go about 72 ish and many trailer tires speed rated to only 65.

20231010_110826.jpg

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I went to these on my deck over.

Typically about 9200 lbs total with setup below. IMO, even the best trailer tires are made to barely meet their requirements. The construction of LT tires is way overkill on their ratings (comparatively), and also designed for a steering axle, under power.
Many of the high end motorhome manufacturers have finally switch to LT's also.

These are made in US and speed rated to 106. Not that I want to tow @ 90, but I do typically go about 72 ish and many trailer tires speed rated to only 65.

20231010_110826.jpg

If you don't tow at 90mph, you're doing something wrong lol

As far as being worried about the tie down mounts, I wouldn't worry at all. They'll be just as solid as the frame. But if you are still unconvinced, it wouldn't take 10 minutes to remove the front two while still loaded on the trailer and unstrapped.

OX1

Established Member
If you don't tow at 90mph, you're doing something wrong lol

As far as being worried about the tie down mounts, I wouldn't worry at all. They'll be just as solid as the frame. But if you are still unconvinced, it wouldn't take 10 minutes to remove the front two while still loaded on the trailer and unstrapped.

There is a reason I got the HO diesel, that's all I'll say on that.:)

BTW, what is the issue with tying down at that frame point (other than it is only ONE tiedown in front). The straps are at a real flat angle, since I have so much space in front of car, and were not super cranked down in any way. Unlikely I would use it again, just curious.
Nice GT500!

Thanks!!!!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There is a reason I got the HO diesel, that's all I'll say on that.:)

BTW, what is the issue with tying down at that frame point (other than it is only ONE tiedown in front). The straps are at a real flat angle, since I have so much space in front of car, and were not super cranked down in any way. Unlikely I would use it again, just curious.

Thanks!!!!

The tow hook just isn't made to be a tie down hook.

I'd also be careful going through the rear wheels seeing as they're CF. I'm probably overly sensitive to how to tie a vehicle down, and I get that...but I'd rather be over the top than not enough haha

OX1

Established Member
The tow hook just isn't made to be a tie down hook.

I'd also be careful going through the rear wheels seeing as they're CF. I'm probably overly sensitive to how to tie a vehicle down, and I get that...but I'd rather be over the top than not enough haha
Yeah, I REALLY didn't want to go through CF wheel. I even bought some J-hooks hoping to hook into frame on rear. But thing is just so low. Once I get her up on lift, will look at my options.

I bought those super soft strap covers for wheels, as guys on "GT500" board said it was fine to do. Can't see any damage, but I still don't want to do it again.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I was a little concerned with hitting say a sand trap @ 110 off track, and those forward mounts digging into the ground (and this thing is already kind of a pig, track-weight wise, do I really want to add even a couple more lbs :) )
I'd do the ones Nick linked. You'll never have an issue with them off-track, they are not as low as you think they may be.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Awesome Gt500! They are beastly on the track. Yes they are tanks (heavy) but they can boogie. I do a ton of Autocrossing or I might have one as well. Enjoy it!

As far as tying down with the front hook, my C5Z had to be towed and it was pulled on to the flat bed with the front tow hook. They left that hook connected and strapped down the wheels. When it arrived at the shop they unstrapped the wheels and started to angle the flat bed down.... the hook bent immediately. I guess the load and vibration must have compromised the strength. Any how.... I wouldn't trust it as others have said.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Dope ride love the white. Wow painted pin stripes huh didnt know that kool.

OX1

Established Member
What are the hard parts to find for the EVO's these days?
One example.

I didn't know about the Hyundai thing. But from here on out, not going to get easier to get parts I don't think (especially with mitsu USA virtually out of business it seems). I'm still on the fence about selling though. Not going to get another original owner, 11K mile specimen.

I'd do the ones Nick linked. You'll never have an issue with them off-track, they are not as low as you think they may be.

Still would rather not add any weight. I'm looking at things I can remove, like subwoofer, but that hurts corner weight even more than it already is, with that corner being the lightest already. I may just machine my own mounts, after I get here up on the lift to look around.

Congrats, awesome hot rod!
Congrats man, awesome upgrad over the evo8
Congrats & good luck with the 21..
Awesome Gt500! They are beastly on the track. Yes they are tanks (heavy) but they can boogie. I do a ton of Autocrossing or I might have one as well. Enjoy it!

As far as tying down with the front hook, my C5Z had to be towed and it was pulled on to the flat bed with the front tow hook. They left that hook connected and strapped down the wheels. When it arrived at the shop they unstrapped the wheels and started to angle the flat bed down.... the hook bent immediately. I guess the load and vibration must have compromised the strength. Any how.... I wouldn't trust it as others have said.
Dope ride love the white. Wow painted pin stripes huh didnt know that kool.

THANKS all. Going to be a learning curve going from a car that virtually always has traction (and drives like a big go cart) vs it's power, to one that can fairly easily, be overwhelmed (assuming).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread