New to the terminator scene and having a/c issues

Izzybuilt92

Established Member
So I bought an 03 cobra convertible build #307 at the beginning of this year, with 24k miles on it. Since then I've put 600 miles on it. And I'm having an issue with the ac.

So it started out Saturday, I was driving it back from work. I'm vegas so it's pretty damn hot. On the way back I noticed at idle the ac went hot, when arriving home it started blowing cold air again.

So today I drove it and it did it again multiple times. So it seems that when I get on it hard, the compressor seizes up. At least the clutch won't spin. On one occasion I managed to stop by when it did it and the clutch was not spinning, but eventually started to work again.

Then I went home and tried to see if it would do it again, but didn't. I then started to rev the engine manually at the side. And then it happened, compressor started to throw sparks. Think it was coming from the clutch but not sure, the belt is in condition and doesn't seem to have Any hurt marks. But eventually ac started to work again.

Any suggestions? Thinking that the clutch is starting to fail, just wanted to ask if anyone has had similar issue?

I don't think it's a freon issue, as no visible leaks on anything nor does the compressor "cycle."

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

CobraLucci

LEO
Established Member
sounds weird, if the clutch clearance was an issue imo it would do it all the time. too loose of a gap can make the compressor not engage. too close would engage the compressor at all times... also it may starting seize on ya

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wckdvnm

Established Member
You been watching the temps when it happens? I know when my cars radiator failed it wouldn't let the A/C run at all. Did it when I had a air pocket too. At 235 my a/c clutch would stop the a/c from running. Once temps came back below 235 it would be back to normal. Welcome to these cars and heat, that's why I want to ditch the cowl hood

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Izzybuilt92

Established Member
does the compressor "cycle" meaning turns off then on?

No I don't Think I have heard it cycle, at least not the times I've ran the ac. Or when I was watching it stop working

You been watching the temps when it happens? I know when my cars radiator failed it wouldn't let the A/C run at all. Did it when I had a air pocket too. At 235 my a/c clutch would stop the a/c from running. Once temps came back below 235 it would be back to normal. Welcome to these cars and heat, that's why I want to ditch the cowl hood

And no, I didn't watch the temps. But it stops and maybe writhing 2-3mins the ac starts working again. Seems to do it more when I get on it hard or at least the motor is working harder.

wckdvnm

Established Member
No I don't Think I have heard it cycle, at least not the times I've ran the ac. Or when I was watching it stop working

And no, I didn't watch the temps. But it stops and maybe writhing 2-3mins the ac starts working again

Well the temps would be one thing to watch. If it does it from a specific temp range than mine does that as well. Did you ever get the head tick dealt with or are you driving it that way?

CobraLucci

LEO
Established Member
with the car off id removed the drive belt and asee if the compressor pulley spins.. also with the belt on you should be able to spin the clutch by hand. If neither turn it is seized. Ive seen seized compressor be so bad where the car is hard to start (i work on puny hondas for a living) maybe not the case with our cars

Izzybuilt92

Established Member
Well the temps would be one thing to watch. If it does it from a specific temp range than mine does that as well. Did you ever get the head tick dealt with or are you driving it that way?

Ima re drive it later or tomorrow and check if I see something in the temps. But no I haven't done the head cool mod yet. I think I have you on ig and mentioned to u, the valve guide seals are bad. Thing is starting to smoke worse than before. So saving up to find 04 casting heads and save up for some cams. Then while I do that, I'll do the cooling mod.

with the car off id removed the drive belt and asee if the compressor pulley spins.. also with the belt on you should be able to spin the clutch by hand. If neither turn it is seized. Ive seen seized compressor be so bad where the car is hard to start (i work on puny hondas for a living) maybe not the case with our cars

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I will check that out this afternoon, I believe in one of the occasions I could see smoke coming from the front area of the car. First thought it was a big I had ran over but when I pulled over the smoke had cleared. No bag or anything. The clutch on the compressor looks like rusted color. Like it's been getting extremely hot.
But I will check it out this afternoon

Izzybuilt92

Established Member
I will check that out this afternoon, I believe in one of the occasions I could see smoke coming from the front area of the car. First thought it was a big I had ran over but when I pulled over the smoke had cleared. No bag or anything. The clutch on the compressor looks like rusted color. Like it's been getting extremely hot.
But I will check it out this afternoon

wckdvnm

Established Member
Ima re drive it later or tomorrow and check if I see something in the temps. But no I haven't done the head cool mod yet. I think I have you on ig and mentioned to u, the valve guide seals are bad. Thing is starting to smoke worse than before. So saving up to find 04 casting heads and save up for some cams. Then while I do that, I'll do the cooling mod.

Yeah I use my old ig name on here. I forgot you said it was valve guides not the head tick lol. Yeah my car finally blew it's radiator so I'm upgrading the radiator and the fan. You are in a hotter climate than me but I'm not driving my car right now and may not even drive it all summer it's just too hot and these cars aren't fans of the heat. Car tuned? I don't recall

Izzybuilt92

Established Member
Yeah I use my old ig name on here. I forgot you said it was valve guides not the head tick lol. Yeah my car finally blew it's radiator so I'm upgrading the radiator and the fan. You are in a hotter climate than me but I'm not driving my car right now and may not even drive it all summer it's just too hot and these cars aren't fans of the heat. Car tuned? I don't recall

It has a very small tick, but I don't drive it much especially because of the smoke. But I take it out a bit at. Night when it cools down.

No it's all stock, other than an steeda oil separater catch can, and some sort aftermarket air filter after the oem rubber boot. Goes into the fender

wckdvnm

Established Member
It has a very small tick, but I don't drive it much especially because of the smoke. But I take it out a bit at. Night when it cools down.

No it's all stock, other than an steeda oil separater catch can, and some sort aftermarket air filter after the oem rubber boot. Goes into the fender

Alright so stock fan speeds are 220 low and 230 high if I recall. Since you will be having the A/C on the fan will be running all the time. If you have a way to monitor the temps (not the dash gauge because that thing is crap) do so, if it gets hot at a certain temp then it's what I had wrong with my car. Turn off the a/c and let the car cool itself back down normally with its fans, as soon as it gets down turn it back on and repeat. Mine would cut the a/c at 240 and timing gets pulled at 245+.

wckdvnm

Established Member
Before the radiator failed on my car it didn't like anything over 90 degrees. But then again my radiator was slightly bad and the cowl hood doesn't let heat out that great from a stop like the stock hood does

Izzybuilt92

Established Member
Before the radiator failed on my car it didn't like anything over 90 degrees. But then again my radiator was slightly bad and the cowl hood doesn't let heat out that great from a stop like the stock hood does

I'll try to drive it later and check this out, but unfortunately I haven't upgraded any gauges so all I have is stock.

Did u have ac worked on? That caused that air pocket?

zredfire04

Established Member
if the compressor isn't running when you turn high rpms for a while, there's a good chance it's low on freon causing the compressor to cycle off due to low pressure.

confirm the charge is good, then check for other issues. the rubber hoses are known to leak.

Izzybuilt92

Established Member
if the compressor isn't running when you turn high rpms for a while, there's a good chance it's low on freon causing the compressor to cycle off due to low pressure.

confirm the charge is good, then check for other issues. the rubber hoses are known to leak.

But wouldn't it be a constant thing? It's done it on idle too, not just on high rpms.

How do u go about checking freon level? Other than taking it in to a shop?

wckdvnm

Established Member
I'll try to drive it later and check this out, but unfortunately I haven't upgraded any gauges so all I have is stock.

Did u have ac worked on? That caused that air pocket?

If you have a code reader some of them allow you to read temps. It was an air pocket in my cooling system not my A/C system. Not sure how it formed but there was a air pocket.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
First thing I would do like posted above start with the simple thing. Check the freon level you will need a gauge or someone with AC tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zredfire04

Established Member
the compressor will cycle at idle as well, even with a good charge.

if you don't have gauges, you can get one of the fancier a/c charge cans at the parts store and check the suction pressure....that pressure will vary with ambient temps. if you don't know anything about a/c, it's probably best to leave it to a pro.

Users who are viewing this thread