new to the shelby family

efroeh

Established Member
Hey guys, I first wanna say thanks to everyone on the forum ive been reading all info on here and loving it. Ive been looking for a shelby for some time now, brother has a 13 white with black stripes and the few times he gave me a ride had me hooked on the unreal power and looks of these amazing cars. So three weeks ago with some time and a charged up tablet and old lady watching the ugly truth I found a 2014 grabber blue with black stripes. A email later and the car was mine. Its a base model car which I wanted not a fan of recaros race seats. The dealer is keeping it in the showroom roped off 8f course until spring comes god I hope its soon. I already ordered jlt oil sep, gb shift knob, redline hood struts. Also trying to get jaegur front splash gurads but dont ship to Canada and didnt phone me back. So the question I have is the car is 250 km away on a double lane highway I want to drive it back but as ive read to break everything in I shoukd be varying speed and shifting lots. To what extent of speed varying and shifting should I do? Also any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Congratulations and welcome, efroeh!

I took delivery of mine in Washington and immediately drove it home to Colorado (~1500 mi in 3 days). As recommended, I varied the RPMs by varying both my speed (55-85 MPH) and gear (primarily between 5th and 6th, with some time in 4th). I did NO WOT pulls, though I wound it to between 4K and 5K RPMs a couple of times, hitting a top speed of about 130 MPH.

When I got it home, I washed it, installed my hood struts and stone guards, and changed the oil. That was about 18 months and 7500 miles ago. ZERO problems, to date, aside from occasional 1st-2nd gear lockout if I try to shift too quickly at high RPM. (This issue has been reported by several folks, so it's far from unique.)

In addition to the mods you listed, you might also consider...
- Upgrading the OE Goodyear tires for something much better (almost anything is better for daily driving, but many of us are happy with MPSS)
- Swapping the OE paper air filter for a washable, non-oiled replacement (a number of options, that look better and are reusable, are available)
- Upgrading the OE halogen driving lights for LEDs (5K LEDs provide more light and a better color match for the HID headlights)
- Removing the Clutch-Assist Spring (many folks prefer the heavier, but more "linear", feel of the clutch without the spring)
- Window Tint (looks good and protects the interior from harmful UV rays)
- Aftermarket Floor Mats (a number of larger and more plush mats are available)
- A Shelby Dash Plaque (aesthetic addtion)
- Upgrading to something better than Motocraft oil (read the MANY available threads on this topic and decided what's right for you and your car)

efroeh

Established Member
Congratulations and welcome, efroeh!

I took delivery of mine in Washington and immediately drove it home to Colorado (~1500 mi in 3 days). As recommended, I varied the RPMs by varying both my speed (55-85 MPH) and gear (primarily between 5th and 6th, with some time in 4th). I did NO WOT pulls, though I wound it to between 4K and 5K RPMs a couple of times, hitting a top speed of about 130 MPH.

When I got it home, I washed it, installed my hood struts and stone guards, and changed the oil. That was about 18 months and 7500 miles ago. ZERO problems, to date, aside from occasional 1st-2nd gear lockout if I try to shift too quickly at high RPM. (This issue has been reported by several folks, so it's far from unique.)

In addition to the mods you listed, you might also consider...
- Upgrading the OE Goodyear tires for something much better (almost anything is better for daily driving, but many of us are happy with MPSS)
- Swapping the OE paper air filter for a washable, non-oiled replacement (a number of options, that look better and are reusable, are available)
- Upgrading the OE halogen driving lights for LEDs (5K LEDs provide more light and a better color match for the HID headlights)
- Removing the Clutch-Assist Spring (many folks prefer the heavier, but more "linear", feel of the clutch without the spring)
- Window Tint (looks good and protects the interior from harmful UV rays)
- Aftermarket Floor Mats (a number of larger and more plush mats are available)
- A Shelby Dash Plaque (aesthetic addtion)
- Upgrading to something better than Motocraft oil (read the MANY available threads on this topic and decided what's right for you and your car)

thanks for the advice. I forgot to put window tint I cant drive a vehicle with out it its illegal were I live my truck im on the third time ive had to peel it off and put it back on the cops dont like it I guess lol. As for the tires im planning on doing some road trips with it should I just say the heck with the tires right from new and replace? Also what sizes for rear could I put on ive read some wear 315 but seems wide to me?

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Hey guys, I first wanna say thanks to everyone on the forum ive been reading all info on here and loving it. Ive been looking for a shelby for some time now, brother has a 13 white with black stripes and the few times he gave me a ride had me hooked on the unreal power and looks of these amazing cars. So three weeks ago with some time and a charged up tablet and old lady watching the ugly truth I found a 2014 grabber blue with black stripes. A email later and the car was mine. Its a base model car which I wanted not a fan of recaros race seats. The dealer is keeping it in the showroom roped off 8f course until spring comes god I hope its soon. I already ordered jlt oil sep, gb shift knob, redline hood struts. Also trying to get jaegur front splash gurads but dont ship to Canada and didnt phone me back. So the question I have is the car is 250 km away on a double lane highway I want to drive it back but as ive read to break everything in I shoukd be varying speed and shifting lots. To what extent of speed varying and shifting should I do? Also any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I bought mine with 9miles on it and beat the piss out of it the day I bought it and haven't stopped since

GWFoos

Established Member
Welcome, Efroeh

I'm awaiting mine. It's in a covered trailer heading for Texas. Great information from lots of people. Research and an open mind keeps us on the right path.

"Strong is the mod side of the force"

I don't have mine yet and have my Year 1 plan mapped out. :burnout:

raustin0017

Established Member
thanks for the advice. I forgot to put window tint I cant drive a vehicle with out it its illegal were I live my truck im on the third time ive had to peel it off and put it back on the cops dont like it I guess lol. As for the tires im planning on doing some road trips with it should I just say the heck with the tires right from new and replace? Also what sizes for rear could I put on ive read some wear 315 but seems wide to me?

Congrats on a great find! Welcome to the forum!
The stock GY will be fine for quite some time. Tons of negative comments/info about these tires, but I find mine okay for DD. They will break free under acceleration but almost any tire would when you put 600 HP to the rear. Good luck and see ya around....

JeremyR

Established Member
You could have it delivered to your house. I bought mine the beginning of January and they brought it right to my house for free. I wasnt going to drive it in zero degree weather with those stock tires. Ive got michelin pilot ss's sitting in my garage ready to go on first trip i take it out this spring.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
You will be fine driving it.....it isn't a princess car. Don't use the cruise control for the first 1000 miles. Don't beat on it so the drivetrain can break in properly, especially the clutch and rear gears for the same 1000 miles.

Tom

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Congratz on the new ride...
Jaeger Stone Guards., try ordering them from American Muscle. Got mine there
Airaid Blue or Red Non-oiled Filter
Ford Racing Resonator Delete
Red Line Hood Struts. If you want them color matched check out JLT

Enjoy the New Shelby!!!

Users who are viewing this thread