new to SVTP whatup!

nasty99

Established Member
whats up guys my names dave and im new to mustang forums. currently my cobra isnt so "nasty" and cant get it to work soo i joined to see if i can get some advice from people with experience so i can try to do it myself instead of draining my wallet from takin it to a shop. i just got a ram clutch put in a few months ago and the cable came loose somehow and came off the clutch pedal. how do i tighten it? i know the adjuster is on the firewall but idk what to do lol dont make fun i never work on my own car i just know whats what and usually just get everything done professionally but always get screwed over with money.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Chances are the cable snapped. You'll have to jack up the car and remove the dust shield. Just follow to where the clutch cable goes to the bell housing and you'll see what I'm talking about. You'll want to take that shield off and see if it's connected to the clutch fork. It should be in outside hole. If it's in there and there's slack, then your cable snappen and you need to get a new one.

nasty99

Established Member
Chances are the cable snapped. You'll have to jack up the car and remove the dust shield. Just follow to where the clutch cable goes to the bell housing and you'll see what I'm talking about. You'll want to take that shield off and see if it's connected to the clutch fork. It should be in outside hole. If it's in there and there's slack, then your cable snappen and you need to get a new one.

well its weird because for a couple weeks, while i was in gear and driving, the pedal would vibrate and make a rattling noise as if it were coming loose. and the cable is new it came with the kit. and i dont have any major mods, just the basics. do you think it still could have snapped?? maybe im trying to tighten it the wrong way?

01yellercobra

Established Member
In order to tighten the cable you rotate the firewall adjuster out. You'll see more threads as the cable gets tighter. What's your quadrant set up? I went through a cable in a couple hundred miles because things weren't lined up correctly.

nasty99

Established Member
In order to tighten the cable you rotate the firewall adjuster out. You'll see more threads as the cable gets tighter. What's your quadrant set up? I went through a cable in a couple hundred miles because things weren't lined up correctly.

okay good well thats what i was doing. i forget how far out it originally was before i really started playing with it so idk if im further than i was before or not and how much i need to spin it to notice a difference but i feel like ive been spinning it alot, and idk my quadrant setup =/

mustangman36578

Established Member
stick with the stock cable. i know a few guys have had issues with the aftermarket cables snapping or stretching. while adjusting the clutch out, twist the adjuster out (more threads showing) until the clutch pedal has very little to no freeplay when you go to push it. then to adjust it to where you want it (either a low pedal or high pedal) adjust it out a little more then start the car and slowly let up on the clutch without giving it gas until you feel the clutch grab. keep doing this until you get the clutch to grab where you want it.

Bad99SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
stick with the stock cable. i know a few guys have had issues with the aftermarket cables snapping or stretching. while adjusting the clutch out, twist the adjuster out (more threads showing) until the clutch pedal has very little to no freeplay when you go to push it. then to adjust it to where you want it (either a low pedal or high pedal) adjust it out a little more then start the car and slowly let up on the clutch without giving it gas until you feel the clutch grab. keep doing this until you get the clutch to grab where you want it.

+1...the stock cable is the most reliable in my opinion...i hear about people staying with it cause they trust it more than the aftermarket ones. Welcome to the site as well!!!

nasty99

Established Member

yup, thats what i was doing just doesnt seem likethe cable was really moving. is it supposed to tighten quick? idk i guess your right i might just push it to the shop down the street that my friend knows, fml might just have to. if its stretched or snapped thats what ill have to do unless its an easy fix to swap it out???

01yellercobra

Established Member
yup, thats what i was doing just doesnt seem likethe cable was really moving. is it supposed to tighten quick? idk i guess your right i might just push it to the shop down the street that my friend knows, fml might just have to. if its stretched or snapped thats what ill have to do unless its an easy fix to swap it out???

With a new cable I still have about half the threads of the adjuster showing. The more worn the clutch the more threads that will show. You need to make sure it's still connected at the clutch for on the bottom first. If it's not connected then you can tighten it all day and nothing will happen. Swapping cables is easy. There's a bracket that's bolted to the frame and an E clip at the bell housing. Once both of those are disconnected and the cable is unhooked it just slides right out. Take note of how it was run for when you put the new one in.

nasty99

Established Member
With a new cable I still have about half the threads of the adjuster showing. The more worn the clutch the more threads that will show. You need to make sure it's still connected at the clutch for on the bottom first. If it's not connected then you can tighten it all day and nothing will happen. Swapping cables is easy. There's a bracket that's bolted to the frame and an E clip at the bell housing. Once both of those are disconnected and the cable is unhooked it just slides right out. Take note of how it was run for when you put the new one in.

thanks man. im gonna get underneath it tomorrow. my friend is close with the guy at the shop down the street so if i really need to im gonna get it towed down the street and put the original cable back in if i cant get it myself. hopefully they dont screw me over =/. but i think thats whats wrong cuz alot of my thread is showing and i was tightening it for awhile lol. i appreciate the help guys thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread